New Asset Privacy and Permissions Features for Audio and Video

Hi Creators,

We are excited to launch new asset privacy and permission features for audio and video assets to make collaborating with friends easier. You can now share your private audio and video assets with your creator friends so they can use the assets in their experiences. This is part of our effort to improve asset privacy and permissions, and next year, we will continue to release new functionality.

Note: This doesn’t impact any existing upload requirements and policies for audio and video.

Sharing with friends in the Asset Permissions Page

For private audio and video assets that you or your group own, you can now navigate to Creator Hub > Creations > Asset Details > Permissions. There, you can share the asset with one or more of your friends. To share an asset with a user, they must be on your Roblox friends list. Sharing an asset with a friend does not automatically insert the asset or grant access to their experiences. After you’ve shared the asset, your friend will need to insert it into their experience to grant that experience access to the asset.

If an asset has been shared with you, you can find it in Studio >Toolbox >“Inventory” >“My Audio” and “My Video”.

You can always revoke access to any of your shared assets. If you revoke access for one of your friends, they can no longer use that asset in any additional experience. However, all experiences where that asset has already been inserted will continue to have access to the asset. If you archive your audio or video asset, it will also remove access across the entire platform, including all experiences.

For group-owned assets, any member that has “Create and edit group experiences” permission in the group will be able to share the group’s assets with their friends.

Experience Permissions page

We are also adding a new Assets Permissions page under the experience’s details page in Creator Hub. You can view all the private audio and video assets that the experience has permissions. To preserve the privacy of recipients who have used that asset in their experiences, we are removing the list of experiences that have been granted access from the asset’s details page in Creator Hub.

Granting access during cross-publishing

Previously, when a user cross-publishes one experience to another, they were prompted to grant the receiving experience access to audio and video assets from the source experience. This did not include assets that are loaded through a script where the user had explicitly granted the source experience access through the asset details page in Creator Hub.

With this launch, the receiving experience will be automatically granted access to any audio and video assets that the source experience AND user have access to, without prompting the user. This includes assets loaded through scripts that the source experience already has access to. The user will still be prompted with an error message for assets they don’t have the permission to grant access to. Audio and video assets that are loaded through a script where the source experience does not already have access to are not included.

Known Issues

We are aware of the following issues and are actively working to fix them:

• If an audio or video asset is inside a model or package, permissions will not be automatically granted if the model is pasted into the experience or inserted from Toolbox. Users will need to grant permission on the individual asset.
  • Inserting an audio or video asset into a model instance in explorer will grant the experience permissions, but the asset may not be playable in Studio. This is an issue where local cache may be preventing the asset from loading. As a workaround, you can confirm that the experience has permissions to the asset in Creator Hub, and clear the local cache.
  • Cross–publishing to a new experience (experience that is created at the time of publishing) will not grant permissions to any assets. Users will need to create the experience first, and then cross-publish their source experience into the existing destination experience.

Resources

Documentation for asset privacy and permissions can be found on Creator Hub.

What’s Next?

This is just the beginning! Early in 2024, we will also enable sharing audio and video assets with your groups. Sharing with groups is more complex, so we launched sharing with friends as a first step and will follow up with this more advanced functionality next year.

In the future, we will also extend asset privacy and permission to other asset types, and we will make continual UX and quality-of-life improvements as well as overall improvements to asset management and organization on Roblox. This includes supporting bulk actions to enable you to manage the permissions of multiple assets at once. We’re also exploring various ways to enable public support of audio in a copyright compliant manner. Stay tuned!

We’d love to hear your feedback, so please share below. Thank you!

166 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

First off, this is a step in the right direction but in my opinion, it’s not far enough. It’s been nearly 2 years since audios were unable to be made public again, I think it is well overdue for that by now.

107 Likes

This will be very useful for me, I like it.

3 Likes

Is there any idea on when we can actually make audios public? I upload a lot of sound effects and I’d like to share them with my community. I’d really love for this to be a feature, please consider this!!

33 Likes

If I have understood this correctly its great to not be required to give edit access to let people grant access to their assets.

Just tested it and I was able to add a friends audio to a group with their permission. Thanks for fixing this long standing issue.

4 Likes

Great addition, but we only have a limit of 200 friends, I love the group feature that lets us share Audio with a wider community, would still like to see public access.

Does unfriending people remove their access?

14 Likes

The ability to share audios with your friends and soon groups is great as now you don’t have to grant TC access to the person sharing.

6 Likes

The ability to share with groups would be fantastic. Please add this!! It’d be perfect to share with my community as outsiders/leakers have a lower chance of stealing them overall.

5 Likes

Aside from not enabling the option for public access (for audio(s) licensed in CC-BY or Public Domain), this is definitely a right move. Requiring edit access to anyone, even if it’s an uploader of a licensed content, is obviously not a good idea and you know about how anyone can do a social engineering trick to basically rip / steal RBXLs from the entire experience, or even worse - the classic “banning other people” by inserting NSFW models…

So in this case, this new feature will definitely eliminate many potential cases of social engineering involving experiences.

4 Likes

Why is this a requirement? If I type a user’s username into the text-field, I expect to be able to grant them permissions. Why am I being hand-held as if I can’t be trusted with granting permissions of my own asset to the wider community? User-creation experiences have suffered from asset-privacy because there is currently no way to grant assets permission to experiences that you have no connection to. With Roblox seemingly pushing user-creation experiences during the past year, my only assumption is that this would be made easier?

19 Likes

The reason why audio isn’t public is because of the copyright lawsuits. I mean, at least they’re taking steps.

Anyways, the update is good and I’m glad it wasn’t the disaster of the email team create update.

Question:
If you unfriend someone, will they not have access to the sound file anymore?

9 Likes

This is a requirement to limit spam and “dangerous things” being most likely. I mean, if someone random sends you audio of something thats against TOS, you’d have to go through that with not much security for you. It would be Localization 2.0

This is to inform people Roblox mods :grin:

6 Likes

I think it’s probably to prevent another mass spreading of (bypassed) licensed audio(s), given how Roblox doesn’t enabled the public access option yet. Although, you can still create a standalone account designed for assets only though.

5 Likes

All of this and we still don’t have the ability to make animations public.

6 Likes

Oh this is neat!

Question.
So let’s say I give a friend permission for an audio, will they also be able to use it in a experience linked to a group that they are not the owner of?

Does it allow them to use the audio in ANY experience owned by anyone just as long as they have editing access to the experience themselves?

If so, it would be very useful, because I’d like to grant access to uploaded audios to friends who have their experiences put on a group that is owned by a group holder account.
It would save me a headache.

5 Likes

its likely they are reworking their audio censorship AI to more accurately detect copyrighted and inappropriate content. We can expect a few years before that.

6 Likes

So friends can’t spread licensed bypassed audio yet the public can? To make it very clear my request is specifically about granting users who are not on your friends list to access audio, not public audio.

Again, can friends not share spammy audios and “dangerous things” in audio with each other? I highly doubt this is the case because of that, the limit feels so arbitrary.

3 Likes

I’m saying that if you don’t wan’t someone sending you it, it’s a way more simplified process. And if the friends are doing that, it’s only less of a vulnerability.

It’s as easy and friending or unfriending… /lightheared

2 Likes

Or, Roblox can also have a feature which enables a creator to sell audio licenses, either per-user or per-experience. It might require extensive review (and also an expensive upload price) due to potential copyright violations (e.g. claiming an existing work as owned by yourself).

1 Like