New Audio Discovery Features

I am part of a community that makes fictional vehicles. These fictional vehicles are frequently released to the public with the intent that they can be used by anyone, for any project. Ever since the audio privacy changes, we have been severely limited to a very small selection of engine sounds, not to mention other small foley effects that your current sound libraries don’t always cover. 15-20 seconds is all we need for the vast majority of what we would want to make available publicly, and it would be massively appreciated if sounds like these could be made available for all to use without forced privacy. I understand you (Roblox) are trying to stay compliant with copyright laws, but something like this should be a happy middle ground while you work on longer-term solutions.

4 Likes

I would like more music by Monstercat because currently the catalog of music offered is quite limited. (I would like to see more titles by Desert Star, Conro and WRLD if possible)

2 Likes

I have 2 things in mind:

• Show audio creations from only other users in creator marketplace. (Hides roblox audios)
  • Allow Us to publish short sound effects.
3 Likes

Thank you, this is very helpful.

3 Likes

I like the audios you offer but these sounds are adapted more for films than for video games.

2 Likes

It’s almost as if they’re trying to force this on us.

actively working on finding ways to make it happen while ensuring we respect copyright laws.

What makes audio any different than the UGC catalog?

From what I understand, you can’t take down supposedly copyright-infringing UGC unless you get a takedown request from the copyright owner, so wouldn’t the same apply to audio?

Furthermore, you do have a copyright detection system for audio uploads (which does unfortunately false-flag sometimes with no chance of appealing), so why is that insufficient?

8 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. Additionally, audio is FREE while UGC that contains (or is outright a reproduction of) copyrighted content is SOLD, meaning the person who created it earns Robux (see real money! Audio is free but must remain private to respect copyright, but can people sell copyrighted content? I hope they eventually give us more information on this outage called “Audio Privacy”…

7 Likes

Would it be possible to add a setting that would allow you to hide the creator and tags? I personally have my toolbox squished down to see my workplace better, but since I presume this update, it has made it hard for me to see the name of the audio.

What work is being to…

• fix the broken audio discovery plugin?
  • allow the user of an uploaded audio to use them in group places without having to painstakingly give them universe access

A lot of developers’ progress and workflow has been desecrated due to the audio update, mine included. Nothing short of progress is just a spit in the face to those affected.

4 Likes

Be careful now, having that kind of sound logic leads to people getting banned!

In all seriousness, I completely agree. This obvious weak ended response is what ROBLOXians are going to have to get used to. ROBLOX is wasting their time and efforts on creating new features that no one asked for, instead of helping fix and better the features that are becoming broken or borderline unusable.

2 Likes

[UPDATE] The new audio discovery features are now available in Studio Toolbox.

1 Like

will we be able to make audio public any time soon? Can we at least make audio under 6 seconds able to be public in the meantime? I don’t understand why Roblox allowed existing short audio to stay public, yet not allow us to make any more public short audio. Can we have that for now?

2 Likes

Thanks @rosariobono, we understand how important that feature is and are working hard to figure out a path to re-enabling.

6 Likes

Thank you, I’m sorry for being impatient, it has almost been 2 years without public audio.

4 Likes

Hiya! Thank you guys for all your hard work you guys have been putting in, really seeing a lot of noticeable changes over the site UI/UX layout and increased frontend performance at large.

I was wondering where to put a feature request for Group Searching for things alike on this topic’s New Audio Discovery Features, as apparently searching groups with spaces in their name, in the “Search by creator” bar, will result in an error called “User does not exist”. I am unsure how to search for groups because there isn’t a place to search for this currently. Is this a possible addition that could be added later on, and if you need me to forward this anywhere, where would it go?

EDIT: It’s kind of an interesting feature to talk about, as this search feature has always interfered with groups having the same name as users, and resulting in being unable to search certain group names in a lot of Roblox searchable places, like the Catalog and Creator Marketplace. Just some food for thought as well.

PLEASE allow newly uploaded short audio to become public, not just the ones uploaded before march 22nd (i have no idea why this change was even made if you were gonna keep short audio uploaded before the deadline public anyway but whatever), it has been almost 2 years for something so simple. Also, please organize the new audio policies better, there is so much different information from devforum posts to documentation to comments from staff along to unspecific error messages that make this so confusing and frustrating for something that has had 2 years to have been tackled; it’s just not right. Why disable short audio from being public for 2 years when you had many more years of previous short uploads that would stay public, and then never give any estimates or transparency on when this would be changed? This has consequences that other users have outlined besides only frustration. I outlined one of my experiences with this in a post I recently made.

In any case, it’s better to look forward. Can we have any more transparency about this and other requests that people in this thread have asked for?

pleaseeeee make it public i literally just want to use a custom noncopyright death sound :sob:

4 Likes

I wish I could say otherwise, but search is still quite bad. Instead of giving you the keyword’s exact match first and organizing the results, it scatters everything around, which makes it a pain to search for anything.

A lot of the results also have nothing to do with the search and don’t contain the keyword in any kind of form, which makes me wonder how they even end up in the search results.

In summary:

1. Titles that match the keyword the most should be the first results, from best to worst.

2. Title results that contain the keyword should be a priority over the description and tags.

3. Matching titles should be listed one after the other, instead of separated and scattered around. (Seems to be implemented, but doesn’t work properly)

There’s also this weird thing going on with search, titles that perfectly match the keywords are simply nowhere to be found.

Right now, I’m forced to use APM Music to search for songs, because the marketplace’s search is just unviable.
When it comes to sound effects, I don’t try much before giving up, uploading your own sounds seems more convenient than finding them in the marketplace at this point.

There’s also the problem with the website MarketPlace not showing certain results, while those results show up in studio’s toolbox, and vice versa.

3 Likes

So, has that path been figured out? this update has been a pain for almost 2 years, and we haven’t received any word. Currently we are missing basic things like making audio public AND a way to appeal audio that was falsely claimed for copyright (which is completely unacceptable)

3 Likes

Stay tuned for a short audio upload update in the next quarter.

2 Likes