New benefits for adding subscriptions within your experience

I was literally thinking this earlier, I don’t like the fact Crazy Rainbow Ninja Kreekcraft Obby can take money out of my bank account, atleast with robux I dont have to worry because it’s only game currency

I feel as if though if someone read “subscription” on a game with real money, they’d probably think “hey I could just buy Netflix with this”, having an option for robux payment method will atleast drive them toward buying the robux for it

5 Likes

The main reason is likely due to Roblox’s deferred revenue issue.
This is a gross oversimplification but:
Roblox can’t count Robux purchaces as profit for a long time, as they don’t know whether its going to be “voided” by one of the many robux sinks, or used for DevEx by a developer.
Essentially they can’t consider it revenue because it takes an unknown time for the robux to be spent.

Subscriptions with USD remove this issue entirely. They pay? that’s revenue now.
And ontop of that they can make predictions about future revenue.

Don’t forget Roblox have both paused hiring, and are essentially doing soft layoffs with their removal of remote work.

8 Likes

This is what you guys say every time you plan on removing a feature. Now that subscriptions are out - are you guys planning on removing gamepasses / devproducts in the future?

7 Likes

Why does this cost real money, when your entire platform revolves around Robux, a virtual currency?

I imagine that you have made this decision because you can take money out of bank accounts, putting people into overdraft if they don’t have the available funds, but you don’t wish to allow people to have overdrafts for their Robux.

So rather than using real money, how about you just pause a user’s subscription until they have the sufficient Robux, at which point you resume the subscription if not already cancelled? Or did your team not think of that, because they’re so out of touch with the player-base?

It is honestly infuriating, and the amount of players who are willing to purchase a subscription with their Robux as opposed to with real money is going to be hundreds of times higher, which is ultimately better for developers, and for you, since you take so much of our Robux anyway.

Furthermore, you clearly have the capability to use Robux because private servers (formerly VIP servers) use robux and are based on a monthly subscription.

This is entirely a joke, and seems like it was put together without any thought behind it.

8 Likes

I mean it is not too hard to script one yourself

4 Likes

Roblox seems to have a compulsion for forceful wishmaking with statistical data, like

Which was simply untrue, even as I write this there’s a white sparkle time fedora you could buy that came out only hours ago, and two days before there were clones of all dominuses.

And also quotes like

Which is wholly caused by the fact they forcibly set older users to R15 and it’s only an opt-out process.

I would not be surprised if their strategy was to in 2-3 posts time on the topic bring up how X% of top games are already adopting it and seeing Y% increase in revenue (as if they never try to increase revenue over time).

11 Likes

Although I appreciate Roblox’s effort to encourage the use of this new tool, I think there are some aspects that should be reviewed and improved.

• I think it is unfair that the payment method for subscriptions is in local currency and not in Robux, the official currency of the platform. This limits the options for users and developers, and can lead to confusion and mistrust. It also implies an unfavourable conversion for developers, as we receive less Robux for each subscription sold or renewed. I think we should be allowed to choose the type of currency we want to use for our subscriptions ( :robux_gold: or :credit_card: ) .

• It seems to me that the advantages they offer are a desperate ploy to tempt us developers to add subscriptions to our experiences without taking into account the limitations and problems that still exist. For example, we cannot check the subscription status of players who are not in our experience, which makes it difficult to implement certain ideas and features. We also do not have sufficient control over subscriptions, such as the possibility to cancel, modify or refund them. In addition, I am concerned about the negative impact that subscriptions can have on the image and reputation of our games, as they can be perceived as a way to mislead children who do not envisage an independent economy and a moderate use of money. :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

For these reasons, I ask you to reconsider your proposal and listen to the suggestions and demands of the :roblox_light: developer community :roblox_light:. I believe that subscriptions can be a great opportunity to generate revenue and build user loyalty, but only if they are done with transparency, fairness and quality.

Thanks! :happy3:

What do you think?
  • Currently fine
  • I don’t like it, remove this function
  • Only form of payment in Robux
  • Only form of payment in local currency
  • Payment in local currency and Robux
  • Check the status of subscriptions of players who are not in our experience
  • Control over subscriptions, such as the ability to cancel, modify or refund subscriptions.
  • Transparency, equity and quality

0 voters

#SubscriptionsWithRobux :robux_gold: :checkered_flag:

8 Likes

chill out, devs who make the subscriptions recieve the payments in robux anyway

its not even extra money

4 Likes

as i mentioned before, its not such a big deal, devs recieve the payments in robux anyway if you noticed in the post and documentation

not even extra money than robux too

3 Likes

Chill out, I think you did not understand my point.

First off, I would be more inclined to purchase & keep a subscription with robux than with real money.

My second point is that, as a premium user who spends already money into the game, I would prefer to be able to buy a subscription with robux I gained through premium, than having to purchase it for extra bucks.

It is also relevant to say that parents would not allow children to purchase subscriptions like that, restraining the amount of potential buyers.

EDIT: Refer to this post extension

7 Likes

I understand your point of view, but I think there is one aspect we are not considering. Even if developers are paid in Robux, that doesn’t mean that the way the transaction is done is not important.

The fact that the only way to use subscriptions is with the local currency payment method is already a cause for mistrust.

In addition, it is important to remember that Roblox is a global platform with a very diverse user community. Some may prefer/trust paying in Robux rather than their local currency, especially if they rely on that local currency for their livelihood.

So, while I understand your perspective, I think it is crucial to take into account the needs and preferences of the majority of users when considering subscription payment policies.

All purchases of developer-created items on the platform have always been made with Robux, so why switch to real money?

8 Likes

fair point, its just not THAT big of a deal that some are making it out to be. maybe roblox can simply just add a feature to make it so subscriptions can be paid in either real world money or robux.

4 Likes

The option to pay for subscriptions with Robux could be more convenient and reliable for many players who prefer not to use real money. If subscriptions ultimately remain real money only, Roblox should allow developers to receive subscription revenue directly in real money, eliminating the cost of converting Robux into real money, which could be more profitable for developers.

Every detail is important :coefficients:

Chill out

3 Likes

I personally find it more gross when currency is converted into fake currency. It adds an extra layer of dissociation. I believe everything should be shown in real-world currency so people can know what they’re actually spending, and this goes for everything, not just Roblox. This is one of the many practices that games use to exploit how people think, in favor of profit. See this video for more info:

However, I do agree that subscriptions should use Robux the same way VIP servers do. Though I’m guessing the reason they don’t is due to legal reasons (even though you can buy VIP servers on both PC and mobile)? This is for two reasons. First, is that it acts as a protective layer. If you run out of Robux, the subscription ends and that’s that. But a real-world currency subscription will keep charging until you’re out of money. Also the refund policy regarding that makes this not worth using alone. Secondly, there are lots of people, dev or not, who have ways of earning Robux, and not being able to use that Robux for subscriptions is a big loss. I, for one, will not be buying subscriptions in any experiences unless there is a Robux option.

I should clarify that I’m not against subscriptions, I’m just against them with how they are, as it was put here:

Also, a reminder to everyone that you can still create your own custom subscription system that uses Robux. If you want automatic recurring payments, you can use Private Servers for that. Though I don’t think there’s a way to prompt a purchase in-game and it’s a bit of a hacky solution, and also you can only have one tier of subscription that way. The other way is just to use Developer Products, save when their subscription ends, then prompt the purchase again when they join after that end date.

7 Likes

Hi @iiCorqi ! We were hoping to get started working on this for Bad Business but

We… can’t? Not sure if this is a bug but this isn’t great for us when there’s already a clear time crunch to get it in!

For what it’s worth, I am in fact ID verified and Bad Business was created in 2019. We should clearly meet the criteria.

2 Likes

Yes, using Robux for subscriptions would make so much more sense. The only reason I can see that they are doing this is to get linked into more bank accounts.

This devalues Robux in a way also. Adding a new ‘feature’ that you can’t buy with Robux. Taking options away from players that have robux to spend(if a dev decides to use subscriptions instead of a robux game pass or dev product).

6 Likes

I did not add this to my post (and gonna change that ASAP), but I also tend to believe that they made that choice so that, people who forgot they had a subscription may lose money on at least one more month occurrence. You know, automatic subscriptions will make people forget a lot. And it is definitely more frequent when you use a real bank account, than a virtual wallet that may be emptier.

3 Likes

you are correct! The last time i’ve done the math, i think the result was 82,5% that roblox gets their share. That talk that it’s 30% its a lie!

4 Likes

That is weird are you sure you are ID verified.
Even if you wanted you couldn’t activate subscriptions

2 Likes

do you want your game to have any real chance to be actually found and played by players? EXTRACT MORE MONEY FROM THEM FIRST and we’ll just maybe give you a fighting chance!

11 Likes