New benefits for adding subscriptions within your experience

as i mentioned before, its not such a big deal, devs recieve the payments in robux anyway if you noticed in the post and documentation

not even extra money than robux too

3 Likes

Chill out, I think you did not understand my point.

First off, I would be more inclined to purchase & keep a subscription with robux than with real money.

My second point is that, as a premium user who spends already money into the game, I would prefer to be able to buy a subscription with robux I gained through premium, than having to purchase it for extra bucks.

It is also relevant to say that parents would not allow children to purchase subscriptions like that, restraining the amount of potential buyers.

EDIT: Refer to this post extension

7 Likes

I understand your point of view, but I think there is one aspect we are not considering. Even if developers are paid in Robux, that doesn’t mean that the way the transaction is done is not important.

The fact that the only way to use subscriptions is with the local currency payment method is already a cause for mistrust.

In addition, it is important to remember that Roblox is a global platform with a very diverse user community. Some may prefer/trust paying in Robux rather than their local currency, especially if they rely on that local currency for their livelihood.

So, while I understand your perspective, I think it is crucial to take into account the needs and preferences of the majority of users when considering subscription payment policies.

All purchases of developer-created items on the platform have always been made with Robux, so why switch to real money?

8 Likes

fair point, its just not THAT big of a deal that some are making it out to be. maybe roblox can simply just add a feature to make it so subscriptions can be paid in either real world money or robux.

4 Likes

The option to pay for subscriptions with Robux could be more convenient and reliable for many players who prefer not to use real money. If subscriptions ultimately remain real money only, Roblox should allow developers to receive subscription revenue directly in real money, eliminating the cost of converting Robux into real money, which could be more profitable for developers.

Every detail is important :coefficients:

Chill out

3 Likes

I personally find it more gross when currency is converted into fake currency. It adds an extra layer of dissociation. I believe everything should be shown in real-world currency so people can know what they’re actually spending, and this goes for everything, not just Roblox. This is one of the many practices that games use to exploit how people think, in favor of profit. See this video for more info:

However, I do agree that subscriptions should use Robux the same way VIP servers do. Though I’m guessing the reason they don’t is due to legal reasons (even though you can buy VIP servers on both PC and mobile)? This is for two reasons. First, is that it acts as a protective layer. If you run out of Robux, the subscription ends and that’s that. But a real-world currency subscription will keep charging until you’re out of money. Also the refund policy regarding that makes this not worth using alone. Secondly, there are lots of people, dev or not, who have ways of earning Robux, and not being able to use that Robux for subscriptions is a big loss. I, for one, will not be buying subscriptions in any experiences unless there is a Robux option.

I should clarify that I’m not against subscriptions, I’m just against them with how they are, as it was put here:

Also, a reminder to everyone that you can still create your own custom subscription system that uses Robux. If you want automatic recurring payments, you can use Private Servers for that. Though I don’t think there’s a way to prompt a purchase in-game and it’s a bit of a hacky solution, and also you can only have one tier of subscription that way. The other way is just to use Developer Products, save when their subscription ends, then prompt the purchase again when they join after that end date.

7 Likes

Hi @iiCorqi ! We were hoping to get started working on this for Bad Business but

We… can’t? Not sure if this is a bug but this isn’t great for us when there’s already a clear time crunch to get it in!

For what it’s worth, I am in fact ID verified and Bad Business was created in 2019. We should clearly meet the criteria.

2 Likes

Yes, using Robux for subscriptions would make so much more sense. The only reason I can see that they are doing this is to get linked into more bank accounts.

This devalues Robux in a way also. Adding a new ‘feature’ that you can’t buy with Robux. Taking options away from players that have robux to spend(if a dev decides to use subscriptions instead of a robux game pass or dev product).

6 Likes

I did not add this to my post (and gonna change that ASAP), but I also tend to believe that they made that choice so that, people who forgot they had a subscription may lose money on at least one more month occurrence. You know, automatic subscriptions will make people forget a lot. And it is definitely more frequent when you use a real bank account, than a virtual wallet that may be emptier.

3 Likes

you are correct! The last time i’ve done the math, i think the result was 82,5% that roblox gets their share. That talk that it’s 30% its a lie!

4 Likes

That is weird are you sure you are ID verified.
Even if you wanted you couldn’t activate subscriptions

2 Likes

do you want your game to have any real chance to be actually found and played by players? EXTRACT MORE MONEY FROM THEM FIRST and we’ll just maybe give you a fighting chance!

11 Likes

Things are rarely black and white.

From the developer side, it’s obviously beneficial to have auto-renewing subscriptions in general. It’s less about ‘hoping they forget’ and more about decreasing friction points and making it less annoying. I don’t forget I’m subscribed to Crunchyroll, but I’d be annoyed to have to manually re-subscribe to them on a monthly basis. To view subscriptions through only a predatory light (" In other words, hoping players don’t remember they were subscribed and thus earning extra money.") isn’t a fair viewpoint to take.

I also advocate for the players side, I do NOT want my players to forget they’re subscribed, it feels wrong to be taking their money for something they aren’t using. It could also bring them very real trouble outside the platform.

Robux subscriptions provide the best for both parties in this regard, it removes the friction of manually having to re-pay for something monthly and it also prevents a forgotten subscription from causing very real financial problems. It’d be limited to only drawing the amount of Robux in the account, it can’t access more than the user was willing to manually stock, or the max amount earned monthly from a premium subscription. This can also make it a safer option on a website primarily populated by kids.

7 Likes

This is one of the manipulation points in the video I linked in my previous post.

Removing friction itself isn’t normally bad, but the issue with monetary purchases is that each time there’s friction, there’s a moment where the player has to think about it and could potentially change their mind. Reducing that friction, especially in addition to other exploitative tactics, leads to players spending money much more easily than they normally would.

This doesn’t mean that subscriptions aren’t inherently bad, but I do think it should be using Robux at the very least, just like Private Servers. My reasoning for that is this:

1 Like

Right. Which is why all my posts have been asking for a Robux option for this, as I don’t think it’s ethical to be asking kids/users to put in a card and forget it.

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain that subscription models you can create are robux-based and not USD based. I haven’t looked into it too much.

1 Like

I like this feature, but it could be improved if Roblox is willing to make changes. Regarding the refund ability, can you refund even after your previous subscription has ended? Will the refunded amount be deducted from the money that has already been transferred to the developer’s account or group? What happens if the developer has used DevEx to exchange some of the subscription earnings and then a user initiates a refund? Will the DevEx transaction be canceled, or will the amount be deducted without our knowledge?

2 Likes

Better than 30% from normal gamepass purchases into devex!

1 Like

Hello, I am blutreefrog, creator of Island Gods (🌴 island gods 🐷 - Roblox) which we recently implemented subscriptions into before the posted cutoff date. We did so with the expectation that we would be featured in the subscription sort, because the game does have a decently sized playerbase. However, we have not been featured.

What is the criteria for being featured in the sort? As none was mentioned, I assumed that just selling any subscriptions before the date would be enough. Had we known this benefit wouldn’t be allotted to us, we probably would not have bothered selling subscriptions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.