New fonts are live!

We previously ran a survey on fonts and selected the top 25 fonts that received the highest ratings by the developer community here on the forums.

These new fonts are now live and available to use in Studio for your games. We limited the number of new fonts so that we don’t add too much to the size of the app download. We plan on solving this going forward so we can greatly expand the fonts available to devs. More on this later…

Here are all of the base fonts that are available.

You can now use rich text tags in order to add bold, italics and other styles to the fonts, and you can also use multiple fonts within a single string. To change the font, use the “font face” tag:

Formatting Tag Example
Font font face <font face="Michroma">This appears in Michroma font.</font>

More info on rich text is available here:

A question has come up from several people regarding the vertical positioning of certain fonts. Here’s some additional information on this:

Some of the fonts have individual characters that drop further down, such as g, p, q, y. Other fonts such as Luckiest Guy have foreign language characters that drop down, even though all of the English characters do not. Here is an example:

The Luckiest Guy font has a tight ascender, so the characters appear close to the top of the label. In addition, the descender makes room for that special foreign character that drops down. Unfortunately this makes it look like the English characters are shifted up.

The ascender and descender is used to make sure that text will never overflow a text label which has TextSize set to the same height as the height of the label.

477 Likes

Support for uploading custom .ttf files would be appreciated. It would allow for even more customization.

179 Likes

Yes finally! The use of all these fonts will make it so much easier to develop great UI to match the theme of our games!

32 Likes

LUCKIEST GUY IS MY FAVORITE :heart:

46 Likes

That won’t happen they will run into copyright issues when users upload pirated fonts.

22 Likes

This is awesome. I love to have a wider variety of fonts I can choose from.

20 Likes

New fonts are finally out? Oh boy! Can’t wait to use one of the totally 100% new ones like Code. /s

In all seriousness, great update. Hopefully we’ll see more than just these 25 in the (near) future!

37 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it, games get taken down all the time due to DMCA and that same copyright policy would apply for fonts as well.

20 Likes

Amazing update, can’t wait to see what people make. Do you have documentation on all the styles of font; what will a certain font look like when bolded, italicized, etc. or even just without style? A chart would be wonderful in the actual documentation page itself.

Note the lack of an actual font chart in the article; I feel as if it would make it easier to see which fonts we’d like to use.

16 Likes

Roblox is a platform. That’s like saying Steam will get into trouble for a game using stolen assets. The developer will face the consequences, not the service.

36 Likes

Can’t wait to use these new fonts for my future GUI/UI projects! :grinning:

5 Likes

Yassss!!!
Some fonts that I voted for actually got in! This can actually make games better especially for the ones that try to get into a specific genre like horror, action etc.

6 Likes

We’d like to offer this, will take time to work through all of the potential issues.

33 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for contributing to the survey, we appreciate it.

7 Likes

Good point - looking to put up a wiki page with a better chart.

9 Likes

Will more fonts be added within the future as well?

5 Likes

While it would most likely end up being that, adding a moderation system for fonts could be a pain. Just like decals, someone could just make different fonts with different texts to say bad words. It would be really cool to see in the future though.

4 Likes

To be clear I mean changing each letter to deceive the normal chat filter. An example might be making L look like F

2 Likes

That is really great! I was using creepster font for my halloween styled game

8 Likes

As Rototally already said there will be issues with it and there could be solutions for them. Roblox’s moderation system can definitely use AI to distinguish those words.

3 Likes