New Game Sort: "Recommended For You"

I like the idea, but I have to echo others and say it could use a bit more work.

I’ve only played three games on that list, and haven’t even touched the others, let alone play those type of games.

Still not proper game discovery and we dont know how games get selected for this sort but whatever…

3 Likes

I’m getting some odd suggestions…
IMG_20200702_211323

10 Likes

It’s a really good update, but I have to agree with others that it could be better!
Here’s what my recommendation list looks like

I can recognize most of these games, however some of them probably shouldn’t be recommended for me,
such as:
"Ninja Tycoon" or “SoulShatters Test Place” (No offence to the creators, I don’t play these games).

1 Like

Well, yes, this could definitely be better, but as this update was just pushed out publicly, of course recommendations have not adjusted and instead give random games at the moment. You gotta give it a while to work properly.

2 Likes

I like how the sort tries to promote games that are more relevant to the player, but as developers we have no idea how to get on the sort. I can’t help but feel this takes away our control over our own success on the platform as we now have to luck out and hope to appear on the sort to be noticed.

Thanks so very much!
My games have been a backwater and this just instantly brought fresh traffic and flow to them!
The first and older has seen a 100% increase in traffic while the later has increased a full 250%, both hitting a reasonable 80 concurrents now and then.
I think it’s great that the older and less updated project gets to make a return, but it’s even better that the upcoming remaster is taking the lead.
It’s offering players an experience they would never imagine would be interesting, but on their plate are eased to try it. And, with or without that it does away with the burden of searching in the notoriously bait-able game results, and even without its unreliability general searching is still a form of major resistance to traffic, which I am now passively freed of.

“What if I could offer you something you don’t know you want?” I see this sort has limitless potential.

5 Likes

I’ve seen one of my games really benefit from this, and the other 2, which are already on the Learn and Explore sort, not have any noticeable increase. I think it’s most likely due to the learn and explore sort showing up for everyone, so every day the 2 games reach their peak for the niche audience interested in it, and if they showed up in the recommended for you sort, it would not be as effective as a game they have never seen before.

I think this feature is really working as intended and depending on how it updates for players, and how it grows smarter, is the ultimate potential for Roblox Dev game discovery.

7 Likes

I’m glad your game is increasing! Mine hasn’t though, is there a specific way to get recommended?

1 Like

It’s recommended to players who an algorithm believes may like your game.

2 Likes

Yeah, and since most of players are “young”, and some of them play super popular games (like adopt me) or random game (like Any tycoon game). This might explains why “Recommended” was broken or something like that.

1 Like

That would be really cool if they were to take in location, localization, age, etc. Roblox is always getting better!

I love this update to the games page! I have found 2 remakes of classic sword fighting games and I loved playing them! Thank you roblox!

I see this as a good thing. You cannot bot your game to recommended. It is most likely chosen by recently played games, the genre, and keywords!

3 Likes

In my honest opinion, this is a great feature which allows less known games to be recognized based on a player’s interests… Most games showing are really interesting and it helped me to discover many games. However, I have a suggestion:
Favorite prioritizing:
This would prioritize the favorite games that the player has played and seemed interested in it.
This would give the player more games that are similar to his favorite then goes the player activity.
But I don’t know if it is a great idea for devs, so it’s still a suggestion.

3 Likes

Seems like it’s recommending me good games for once so that’s nice.

2 Likes

This is great. Sometimes I have trouble deciding what to play because I might not be in the mood for any of the games I really like. Now, I can browse games that Roblox thinks I’ll like based on the games I played recently. However, I see some games I tried but weren’t interested in, or games that doesn’t look very appealing to me and/or don’t think should be recommended to me.

I understand that Roblox isn’t perfect but tries it’s best, but I remember seeing recommended games when I first made my account and haven’t even played anything yet. Why is this?

This is an excellent update ROBLOX!
I’m pretty sure this has existed before, however for most people it had been the popular sort all over again except 1 or 2 games.

However I’m quite curious, is it based on the country/region, previously played games, friends played or a mix of most?

And also, will this be affected by COPPA since (from what I understand) doesn’t allow websites to gain personal data from ~13 accounts? And If it does, what will happen to avoid having the replication of the popular sort. Even though if I were honest, I don’t think they would stay searching through the sort, since they would rather head to their usual games, which is sad because I have already found some interesting games from the sort myself.

Last but not least I would recommend using more detailed genres to games so it can be easier to separate and sort. Example: If I prefer obby games, there being an obby genre, it might lead to there being more obby games in this “Recommended to you” sort. Then again this would lead for you to add the ‘Genre Sort’ back again, something the community has been asking for to return for years, but with this below we can be very hopeful that our worries can be solved.

Once again, excellent update, especially for the small developers who struggle to get their game in the front page! :roblox: :roblox_light:

2 Likes

Also, how will this work for new accounts since they haven’t played yet?

Usage data isn’t personal data. If there is limited data collection due to regional data collection laws, they will use data they would collect anyway; like games played.

The way machine learning operates, they probably don’t know lol

Most likely it’ll just recomend games that are popular, but will start to learn what games the player likes.

2 Likes