New Humanoid Physics Controller - Beta

LMAOO IT CRASHES IF I TOUCH ON SOME DUMMY LOL

the moment the videos ends its because crashed, no crash messages, studio just close, i disabled all scripts to test

3 Likes

For me, Studio crashes if I walk into a seat when using this controller. (PhysicsCharacterController only walks over seats, which I guess is better.)

EDIT: My character was walking over seats because I fished CanTouch on all of them. I didn’t know that had to be enabled for the built-in sitting behavior.

1 Like

Running into any sort of ladder/climbing object crashes Studio immediately, tested this in multiple projects
I got this error:

[DFLog::HttpTraceError] HttpResponse(#631 000001F2D66F0610) time:62.2ms (net:62.1ms callback:0.0ms timeInRetryQueue:0.0ms)status:403 Forbidden bodySize:0

1 Like

Yeah studio is crashing when I run into, example a seat.

2 Likes

Apologies for the new crash. It’s triggered when entering the Climbing state. We are working on a fix now.

There is a workaround by assigning a ControllerPartSensor to the ControllerManager’s ClimbSensor property. You can crate a ControllerPartSensor, parent it to the HumanoidRootPart, then assign it as the ControllerManager.ClimbSensor. This should prevent crashes. Otherwise you could disable the Climbing state.

5 Likes

Awesome. I know I’m about to refer to something not made by Roblox staff, but today, I tried using Nexus VR Character Model with the new beta humanoid controller and I’ve noticed that this seems to almost completely break Nexus VR.

That module is only designed for the legacy controller, so this is unfortunately to be expected. Are there any settings in the controller instances that I should try tweaking? The main problem is that my character constantly swings side to side when I move.

I posted a video of this glitch here:

I suppose the best outcome would be for Roblox’s built-in, official VR implementation to support moving the player’s hands and head around using controllers. I’ve heard safety bubbles may be added, and that would only make sense if players could control their arms. Then there wouldn’t be a need for Nexus VR.

1 Like

When stuff gonna be released? its a long time without update

1 Like

another bug, changing ControllerManager.BaseMoveSpeed alot of times sometimes that happens

External Media

as you can see its 0 but player keeps moving, even when i stop move lol it keep sliding forever

2 Likes

@kleptonaut just noticed the link was wrong now lol

External Media

This is pretty sick,
will you be able to recreate bunny hopping similar to CSGO or Garry’s Mod with the new physics controller? Is there an estimated date for when this update fully rolls out?

2 Likes

I also get a bug where the character’s legs clip through the ground when using R6.

3 Likes

Increase the Humanoid.HipHeight to fix that. I recommend 2.

1 Like

Is there a script that does this?

1 Like

I have, but it makes jumping very awkward. It makes it so that you can jump before you even touch the ground.

1 Like

How do I do this? Can someone help me please!

1 Like

I have been working on a bhopping system for months now and the new controller will definitely make that system easier to create, cut the time it takes to make the system and similar systems, and will remove the need to use deprecated features such as body movers.
I am super excited for this to finally release!

1 Like

UPDATE!

Hello Devs, sorry for the lack of information on the future of the new character controllers. We’ve been hard at work fixing bugs, addressing feedback from a variety of sources, and working on more Humanoid related features that put more customization into your hands.

First, I wanted to bring some attention to some API removals.
The following API will be removed in this week’s update. They have already had their behavior disabled and they’ve been hidden from the Properties window so the expectation is that they aren’t being used. Otherwise, please be sure to remove existing references in your scripts to avoid error messages after the release:

AirController.OrientationSpeedFactor
AirController.OrientationMaxTorque
AirController.VectorForce
ClimbController.OrientationSpeedFactor
ClimbController.OrientationMaxTorque
GroundController.AlignSpeed
GroundController.AlignTorque
GroundController.TurningFactor
ControllerBase.RigidityEnabled

We are currently getting the API reference updated on all the existing properties, as well as improved guides on how to best leverage the Controller instances.

Otherwise, we are getting ready to end the beta and release the ControllerManager+Controller instances. Here’s a rough outline on what’s happening next:

• ControllerManager.RootPart property releases. This enables you to use a ControllerManager without a Humanoid, and set it up however you like. You’ll be able to write your own scripts that set the ActiveController and Moving/FacingDirection. You’ll also have the option to configure the Ground/ClimbSensor to handle how floors and ladders are detected.
  • We will be releasing a set of scripts that recreate the Humanoid State Machine behavior and configure the ControllerManager for you. By using these scripts, you’ll get the same default controller behavior you get while trying the beta now, but with better support of using Humanoid properties.
  • The current ControllerManager opt-in behavior will be discontinued. The described set-up of putting a ControllerManager under a Humanoid in StarterPlayer will no longer work. Using Lua to drive the ControllerManager (either with our scripts or your own) is the only option going forward.
  • The Humanoid will separately update its physics controllers internally. This ensures that all Humanoids are using the updated physics even if you aren’t using the new Lua Humanoid State Machine or Controller instances.

More information about each of these steps will be released as separate announcements in the coming weeks, so look forward to that!
And of course another huge thank you for all the testing and feedback. I’m glad we’ve been able to work together to shape this feature into something that works for everyone - and this is still only the beginning!

24 Likes

Does this mean that the controller is available for use on the server?

Glad to hear this is still being worked on actively.

4 Likes

Is this already replacing the old movement? I noticed recently struggling to jump off the edge of a ledge in Studio playtest.

Note: I have beta features on, and the character controller beta is on.

EDIT: Looked at above post, seems to have replaced old movement.

2 Likes

Has the coyote time been fixed yet? You can’t seem to jump off the edge of a part consistently. Note that it only happens when beta features are on.

3 Likes