New Laser Tag Studio Template!

short answer. absolutely :joy: (ahhhhhhhhhh roblox lemme replllyyyy)

2 Likes

These templates are made to be used as is. If you want to modify, you are going to need to be a professional scripter or hire one.

3 Likes

This is definitely a step in the right direction, everything looks and feels good with the template so far, but…

WHY would you upload it without even having an aim down sights button in 2024? That alone makes this system unusable in most military/combat games. Aiming down sights is a huge part of an FPS design, and if you were going to code it yourself as an add-on to this then you might as well just code your own FPS system with how much work it would take to add aiming down sights to this template.

It’s also missing sprint/crouch/prone/tilt options and there is no jump animation, I would say these features could be easily added but without any documentation I’m not sure how much of a process each feature would be to implement until digging into the scripts.

Lets say you just want to add sprinting, well coding a button to change your walk speed is easy - but then you also have to add a sprint animation to the gun system and code in when to play the animation but you also have code all the other animations to stop - and make the gun not fire while sprinting or stop sprinting when shooting.

For a template to really be a ‘template’ you need to be able to easily add on new features, and you really can’t with this (especially with no documentation like the fortnite template at least had) you can only edit the already existing features customizable values.

And before you brush off my critique you should check out the gun system I made myself from the ground up so you can see that I may actually know what I’m talking about. I coded and animated everything myself, it has crouch/prone/tilt and even slides/dives when sprinting. It can also be used in first or third person, and works on all devices, and functions with all body types. May not be the prettiest thing but at least it’s fully functional.

7 Likes

can make a template of tower defense so we can study how its done I don’t know to get it start

3 Likes

I would like to express my concerns regarding the current state of the template you have provided for new players. It appears that the label of ‘template’ may be somewhat misleading, as the ease of editing, which is typically associated with templates, seems to be lacking in this instance.

In fact, it has come to my attention that making modifications to the code, particularly in relation to weapons, is quite challenging without inadvertently causing disruptions or errors. This complexity could potentially deter new players who are still familiarizing themselves with Roblox Studio.

Therefore, I kindly request that you consider incorporating a comprehensive tutorial into the template. This would greatly assist new players in understanding how to effectively make changes to the code without causing any unintended consequences. A step-by-step guide could significantly enhance the user experience and make the process of editing much more accessible and manageable.

Edit:@DonatellaVonguarde pretty much said another way of what I said, It’s very true.

9 Likes

I disagree with the idea that these templates are meant to be used “as is” and that one needs to be a professional scripter or hire one to make modifications.

The official roblox documentation says: “Templates are uncopylocked experiences that provide a set of default objects in the starting place’s data model that you can use to start your projects.” Therefore making a “Template” to be used as is would be contradictory.

Additionally, not everyone has the resources to hire a professional scripter.

Additionally #2, even modifying the map is its own difficult task due to its mesh-based design. This adds another layer of complexity for beginners.

11 Likes

Fr. Roblox is just out of touch with the idea that a lot of young kids want to make games they can play with their friends, and modular design with easy drag and drop/copy pasteable scripts/code is going to be the only thing they’ll actually be capable of doing. More Roblox Staff time spent on templates that won’t be used by anybody, because the only ones that can actually make something larger scale out of the template are going to be the people that have the technical know-how to make a game from scratch in the first place. Love the Roblox team adding templates but it’s almost like they think nothing through. Like THINK guys, WHOS going to be using templates to begin with? smh

7 Likes

I’d really love to see some expansion on templates like these, would be a big help in learning about certain designs.

4 Likes

I don’t think templates are meant to be turned into huge games, but they are helpful because you can go into them and get a good idea on how to do things. I’ve used templates to understand physics, coding methods, etc.

3 Likes

make a template for rng game‍‍‍

2 Likes

Wow this is awesome! Love the gun design aswell

3 Likes

I mean that’s great that you can find use for them, but why CAN’T templates be used to make huge games? There’s no reason why the Roblox team can’t make something that kids can create something with by using modular kits. It’s kind of a no brainer idk. They’re just clearly out of touch with HOW people really use the platform, and how much better the overall roblox experience would be if creating quality games was more accessible and more streamlined. They’re getting better though, noticeably over the past few years. But they still don’t really understand how we all use the platform, why we like it, and the vision we see for it.

TLDR templates are useless because they don’t allow beginners to make anything of quality due to lack of modular design/kits/tools for beginners.

5 Likes

You can, but I haven’t seen any games that are successful who started off of a template. Templates are meant to teach, not give you a free game to publish.

Look at the coding, design etc. whatever it offers, and learn from it. It’s not complicated.

2 Likes

But my question is why CAN’T they be designed so you can more easily create a game. Why does it HAVE to be such a steep learning curve for beginners (most of which are children looking to have fun making games them and their friends can play), I just don’t understand the attitude of “No! Don’t use any premade assets! That’d be too easy” When you yourself probably use music/audio/textures/terrain that you didn’t fully design yourself.

3 Likes

Really cool, it’s always good to have new templates for new devs to learn by reading professionally made code

4 Likes

and I’m saying that means the templates suck If nobody has been able to make a good game out of them. We use Microsoft Word templates for example because they’re well designed and useful. Roblox’s templates are not well designed or useful.

The condescending “its not hard” attitude is unnecessary, and far too commonplace in dev circles and I’m tired of hearing it. I don’t know why some devs absolutely seethe at the idea of game development being accessible to beginners without as steep of a learning curve.

4 Likes

They also used unions it’s so over.

7 Likes

Very cool!! Although I’m not very sure how original or customizable this is, I hope to see more stuff like this in the future. :+1:

3 Likes

you could try using the model.Scale property to turn models really small and put it close to the camera, this way they dont clip through walls.

1 Like

I really appreciate it. I would’ve been so much more motivated as a kid to start developing earlier if I had templates to work with first to get my creative juices flowing. Of course as an adult, now I have no use for templates because I have the ability to make everything from scratch. Some people have their heads way too far up their rear to understand that different people (kids most importantly) learn in different ways, and I think at least making BASIC games that you can expand and customize should be accessible to all kinds of kids, including ones that have learning disabilities, or ones that don’t have the time to hunker down after kindergarten and learn LUA themselves lol.

3 Likes