New Sponsored Items and Updated Ad Audiences

I understand you do NOT allow advertisements to specifically target those below the age of 13 when your company is made of by all groups of ages, predominantly 13+ or when you can advertise gambling, nsfw, etc - but ROBLOX has a total different TOS too compared to Google and other companies

ROBLOX is a platform that has it’s majority (more than half) of players under 13 so this is like shooting yourself in the leg

As suggested above you could instead try to (I know this takes some work, but we developers work too)

A) Prompt parents when they register / when they join after this update to have a option to see ads or not for their kids

B)  Have an option to see ads or not for kids

C) Roblox as I said above in theory promotes moderation strict enough to not display content for <13 
 that they shouldn't see so improve moderation filtering if you consider it's not working as it's supposed to and allow us to still promote content made for <13 to our group target audience
2 Likes

Was that the same ad? If yes, then i see no point of continuing the journey of being a developer. its really now fighting a losing battle. Roblox just closed all the possibilities of becoming successful. They will of course, do nothing about it and will just let it slide. Very demotivating.

1 Like

Before & After (Visits)

I added some suggestions above Felix’s posts regarding what they could do to improve this horrendous situation

Closed thread

2 Likes

While you are entirely correct, this does impact developers in a MAJOR way, I think it’s a bit dramatic to word it like that. I personally am still trying to hold some hope that Roblox will do or at least say something

Yeah I completely agree. I was gonna add something along those lines to my post, but it was already pretty long.

224 replies and it’s been a week, and nothing. @darkmodeonn come on mane

this is awful.

2 Likes

I had similar numbers at the start of this update. But recently (this week-end mainly), the numbers have gotten vastly worse.

1 Like

As someone who spends up to 400,000 R$ on ads a day and I can tell you, this update has made running ads practically worthless, an investment without the opportunity for a profitable ROAS… It’s more of an expense than an investment at this point, LOL!

I ran 200k on one of my games today, and so far it’s yielded me close to NO results. Usually my ads would spike my concurrent playerbase from 250 to 500 , 600 → 900+ after roughly 3 hours all depending on how much I engaged my first-time players.

Now, it went from 250 → 245 after 3 hours.

Rather ridiculous I’d say :happy4:.

But what can you do, Roblox isn’t a small company with a vision of empowering new developers no more, it’s a rich mans world, fiercely competitive and requires lots of capital to even get started.

RIP new & aspiring devs! Things will never be the same, and for a lot; it’s time you move on to greener pastures, find a better and more inviting platform. Trust me, you don’t want to burn yourself out on a platform that doesn’t care about you or your personal growth.

I work full-time on Roblox, and I am stuck in that position. But I hope to move on from the platform when the opportunity bids itself. It’s an immensely stressful day-to-day life because of how radical Roblox is with their sudden changes, and their lack of communication.

21 Likes

can agree, has gotten much worse for me since

3 Likes

We should definitely get an answer officially - and - one here that let us know something here @darkmodeonn possibly could do that or somebody else

2 Likes

This is a really bad update and I’m sure with enough instability from the community, Roblox will bring it back like always.

1 Like

I’ve dropped from spending 100k daily for 2k+ concurrent, to now struggling to even maintain 100-200 with 100k. They’ve messed up the potential to grow solely by using Roblox.

2 Likes

Yeah you have a point. Its worrying. I wanted to become a full time developer next year but with these poor changes making it even harder for developers(audio update as well) Its looking impossible to have my games grow back to what they were or beyond… Lets hope they respond.

1 Like

The timing for this to happen is incredibly inconvenient.

A friend and I are relatively new to developing, and we started working on our first major project together about half a year ago. Fast-forward to about a week ago, where my friend and I are putting the finishing touches on the game, preparing for its debut.

Then I hear about this update.

Our original plan was to simply advertise the hell out of the game through various methods of promotion, which would be incredibly necessary in its own right as the design of our game requires multiple players in order for the game to function properly (it’s an elimination-based game). On top of this, we have a limited amount of resources/funds to spend on the game, as we originally hoped that the profit I had acquired from a small project I made on my own could be used to help promote this new project, which is a relatively small amount compared to what others invest in advertisements. Now, with the addition of this new constraint, we are unsure of what our approach should be.

We’ve waited the past week to examine the full effects of this update to see if they are as truly severe as the original post implied they would be, and unfortunately, recent replies from people such as @Vikinglaw and @Mquel_Frau5 push us to believe that these effects are indeed severe, and are even severe enough to postpone the release of our game until we’ve met a reasonable solution.

So the question I have is, what do we do now? Our current hope is that this update is simply a foreshadowing of an improved, refined version advertisement system for the near future, one that effectively promotes while simultaneously stays out of the legal danger zone for the company, though in the current moment this hope seems highly unlikely to manifest. It seems to us that this update is here to stay for a while.

Also, when I ask “what do we do now?”, it isn’t solely a rhetorical question to emphasize my overall point; my friend and I are legitimately wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on what we should do as a result of this update.

11 Likes

Please undo this, at least for sponsorships. Sponsorships present your game icon to people. (something they could see anyways via search or discovery) I’m in pretty much the same exact situation as @xendatro

7 Likes

ok let’s suffer together i guess

6 Likes

R.I.P all the money over the years I’ve invested in this platform. Before I would spend roughly $120 and see maybe 2K-3K visits from the sponsor. Now, I will only see 1K-1.5K visits from the same Robux? This hurts really bad, it just shows how much solo devs have been shoved out of this platform.

5 Likes

At this point, the most viable way to get a game popular is through influencers.

sigh. :pensive:

6 Likes

well, hopefully theyll do at least something to fix the situation. currently they seem to be ignorant about such an improtant change that affects all of the developers on this platform. thats really driving me crazy how they can be so careless and clumsy with their decisions.

3 Likes

I think this update has broken sponsors on Console because im looking at my Xbox and it’s literally the exact same games showing up every time, I then ran a 10k test sponsor on console and I got around 800 clicks from a 10K Sponsor…

2 Likes

This was a very bad decision to make, not going to lie.

4 Likes

Im literally on the same boat as you my dude, and i too am not sure how to grow a game when the main method to get the same recognized is now utterly destroyed.

6 Likes