New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

Looks fantastic! I don’t like how grey it is when looking down i to the void however, maybe make it a deep deep blue, like the old one?

2 Likes

This new baseplate reminds me of empty projects on game engines like unity or unreal. It definitely looks 10x better than the old one. Great job!

2 Likes

This is definitely exciting to see! I hope revamps will come to other templates as well! I will miss the old baseplate; I do hope it is not made unavailable.

1 Like

Looks really great! the new baseplate really improve from the old one! :smiley:

1 Like

As much as I don’t really use Roblox Studio for much other than exporting Roblox avatars- I find this new baseplate and look really amazing! I really like the modern look to it, though the old baseplate, of course, will be dearly missed!

1 Like

Completely agree.

This might be an apt time to bump my feature request from two years ago regarding this very idea.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about the lighting, but I love that we now have a default baseplate that isn’t bland. I can see the grid being a big help in my smaller builds and models!

1 Like

This is indeed a very exciting and helpful update especially to many builders, previously these things needed to be adjusted manually - while I will definitely miss the old baseplate as it enacts nostalgia from my first time developing, I think this update would be a very good step in the right direction. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Is the original baseplate going away or is it still going to be available?

1 Like

Personally, I’d prefer that you give us an option to choose which one we would like to use.

1 Like

In my opinion I feel like the old baseplate gave us more freedom in what we can do, make our own lighting, skybox’s and so on, the new one seems to have it’s own premade lighting, atmosphere and includes textures on the baseplate which I feel like should be an option

1 Like

I really like it! The only thing that I’m not a huge fan of is how the sky went from semi-realistic to now more of just atmosphere.
Would it be possible to when to have options when creating the baseplate of a few pre-set skies, baseplate size, etc?

3 Likes

I would love to see it, however I think the old one should be kept

Does this mean that the old studs are gonna be removed? Maybe they are updating them? Or has Roblox moved on from the old blocky look and is finally moving into the ultra-realism. Also, the ability to have both baseplates would be nice.

1 Like

Hello! Just wanted to let you in on why we didn’t set this template to “Future”.

Future lighting technology mainly benefits local lights and the template doesn’t start with any. It didn’t feel like it was worth the performance cost of the newest lighting tech when a first time user won’t immediately benefit from it.

In the future, and in other templates with local lights, we are certainly considering “future” technology where its appropriate.

Thanks for your feedback!

17 Likes

It should be noted that the new template has the same freedom as the old one to change the skybox, lighting, and even the baseplate textures. Nothing in the new template prevents you from making your own settings. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Man, I really like this. The lighting is great, and the texture on the baseplate is awesome.

I can see why this was needed, but in all honesty I really do not want Studs and other SurfaceTypes to be removed despite this change - is it really necessary to make all the old games and experiences lose detail because of an update?

5 Likes

i like it but i orefear with no sky thanks

I think this is a great step-up compared to the previous baseplate. Are the skies clear to allow usage of the “clouds” feature that I think is currently in beta?