New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

I really like it! The only thing that I’m not a huge fan of is how the sky went from semi-realistic to now more of just atmosphere.
Would it be possible to when to have options when creating the baseplate of a few pre-set skies, baseplate size, etc?

3 Likes

I would love to see it, however I think the old one should be kept

Does this mean that the old studs are gonna be removed? Maybe they are updating them? Or has Roblox moved on from the old blocky look and is finally moving into the ultra-realism. Also, the ability to have both baseplates would be nice.

1 Like

Hello! Just wanted to let you in on why we didn’t set this template to “Future”.

Future lighting technology mainly benefits local lights and the template doesn’t start with any. It didn’t feel like it was worth the performance cost of the newest lighting tech when a first time user won’t immediately benefit from it.

In the future, and in other templates with local lights, we are certainly considering “future” technology where its appropriate.

Thanks for your feedback!

17 Likes

It should be noted that the new template has the same freedom as the old one to change the skybox, lighting, and even the baseplate textures. Nothing in the new template prevents you from making your own settings. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Man, I really like this. The lighting is great, and the texture on the baseplate is awesome.

I can see why this was needed, but in all honesty I really do not want Studs and other SurfaceTypes to be removed despite this change - is it really necessary to make all the old games and experiences lose detail because of an update?

5 Likes

i like it but i orefear with no sky thanks

I think this is a great step-up compared to the previous baseplate. Are the skies clear to allow usage of the “clouds” feature that I think is currently in beta?

I think that’s a factor in it, but also this specific design because it works better with PBR objects than the default/legacy skybox.

1 Like

Love it! The only thing that I would change is adding the baseplate texture to the SpawnLocation.

6 Likes

New builder here, so I haven’t mastered all the features that are designed to work with PBR. My work is exclusively PBR. Am I better off transferring everything to the new template, or is there a list of settings I can use to update from old and busted to new hotness?

Boy, this is really good! the best thing about it, you can customize it!

28 Likes

First, head to the new baseplate, and copy over all the objects within “lighting” over to your old place, make sure to remove the old ones first.

then just go to the properties of lighting, and set them to these properties.

4 Likes

It looks great! I’m glad bubble chat is enabled by default, and I really like the new baseplate. My only complaint is that it can feel a bit “blurry”, and I do like the sky in the old baseplate.

1 Like

/hoponhorseandridetothestudio

Thank you! I’ll go update my game!

2 Likes

This is sick!
This gives me hope that the old Templates are you going to be upgraded too! :partying_face:

I’d appreciate if the lighting was more neutral. Modelling is a lot more tedious if you have to adjust the lighting to get it color-neutral before you start working. Diffuse and Specular impact that visibility when working, so it’d be nice to be able to keep things consistent.

While I certainly prefer the new skybox as I’m a fan of hyper-clear skies, I do wish that the old sky would remain accessible to anyone looking for a legacy experience and just for archival purposes. Having this sky reuploaded as a skybox would service just fine.

I haven’t tested this out yet, but if Atmosphere, Bloom, and SunRays are enabled by default, please turn them off so that the workspace is more readibly available for modelling. Those would be annoying to have to turn off every time because they’re impacting visibility. Otherwise, I have no complaints and this update’s totally fine.

Also, bubble chat being enabled is a nice touch! Thanks!

1 Like

The new sky IS a Sky object under Lighting which can be removed.

3 Likes

This is a great step ROBLOX is taking to enhance the Studio experience for new and current developers, however I definitely do agree that the old one should be kept as an option because some people may not want the extra technology and features included in the new baseplate by default.

1 Like