New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

Wow! This new baseplate is a lot different than the old one! If it becomes the default one, I’ll miss the old plate, but the updated baseplate looks cool too!

1 Like

Yes! This looks so amazing. Can’t wait to have some fun with this! :heart:

4 Likes

I LOVE how better this looks but I dont like how the bottom of the skybox is grey. Like if you have a obby in the air or something it would look really bad.

Also if you set the time of day to be 5 you can tell that its a skybox though its not too noticeable

Also make the outdoor and indoor ambience set to 0 since ambience is unrealistic.

4 Likes

Woah night is so pleasing to the eyes.

6 Likes

I see this as perfect and hope that maybe in the future it can automatically be set to future lighting instead of shadow map. image

wow roblox dev speedrun??? Lol next dream jk jk lol ery funny though I like it!

I saw this in studio today, a great adjustment…

1 Like

looks fresh, seems a lot more professional to new players, that’s my honest opinion lol

1 Like

I know this is a bit off topic but is there any chance we could just get a blank place as a template? This gives us even more stuff to delete if we want an empty place!

This was done to better support PBR materials. The darker color is to replicate the terrain/ground occlusion that you would normally expect with reflective materials. :smile:

Here’s a comparison. The left is the skybox in Baseplate 2021 with the darker bottom hemisphere and the right is a similar skybox with a white lower hemisphere.

20 Likes

I think this works well for new developers. However, I would definitely like an option as to which baseplate is your default for when you use File->New (or Ctrl+N). And also the ability to move the templates around in the “New” menu would be nice.

2 Likes

Sure!
Here you go:
Init_Dark.rbxl (22.8 KB)

6 Likes

This will not be an issue. The lag that comes from realistic lighting only comes when there’s other forms of light around, otherwise it’s pretty much the same performance as ShadowMap,

NOT ONLY THAT these shadows only apply after a certain graphic setting, which people with bad PCs will not be in, both stay the same in both graphic modes if in lower graphics settings.

2 Likes

It would be nice if we had the option to choose which baseplate we want as the default. I think it’s a great way to please those who like the new update and those who prefer the old baseplate.

1 Like

Great, now i recommend you guys to use Baseplate 2021

1 Like

I do like the new template! Although, if the old one is removed from the templates, I will miss it a bit. Since both templates generally don’t have that large of an impact on the developed game, might I suggest simply keeping both? Having both right there would make it convenient to choose a template thats right for your project/game (which is the goal for templates, right?) rather than having to mess with some options or whatever.

1 Like

After 12 years, Roblox finally creates a better baseplate.

2 Likes

Hey, apparently when I go into the “Baseplate 2021” template place, it shows that the sky is black as you can see from this image. I was wondering if the sky texture/id got removed/moderated, causing this to happen? If so, please let me know. This not only applies to the studio, even in-game! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You’ve been churning out the updates recently. I’ve avoided developing on here for years because it lacked the features I needed, but I can see it getting closer to other commercial game engines and by implementing common game engine features, albeit in a friendlier and more approachable way; the platforms become great for smaller indie games and people who want an introduction to games development as well as people who seriously want to invest and create unique experiences without having to manage the logistics of launching a standalone title in such a saturated market! I’m looking forward to what I can create on here in the next year. Great work!

1 Like

Finally a baseplate update! The old baseplate was very outdated, and the new one looks simpler, cleaner, and just looks better. I like how the default lighting and sky has changed. Really like this update!

3 Likes