New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

Will game.CreatorId & game.CreatorType be changed to the user/group it is published under as I noticed that in Studio it defaults to the Template user, not the group I’ve published it under. (In the game it properly references the group)

1 Like

Its ok, you always can have your own thoughts.

Finally a good update.
Does this mean that we don’t need plugins?

Pretty hyped for the feature bugs :pleading_face:

Looks very nice, I am all for this as whenever starting new projects I’d always have to adjust lighting and all that other stuff with the old baseplate so this new one will definitely be helpful at the start of new projects.

Also, The skybox and grid texture look very nice and smooth especially with the lighting effects, It’s very modern and fitting for today’s Roblox I think

1 Like

The lighting settings make the colors look washed out. The left image has more life to the colors.

Also is that bloom and depth of field? So edges look blurry and far-away looks blurry? Why? I already have to deal with blur in real life with my eyesight, lol

5 Likes

That’s due to the fog. And the specular and diffuse scale which adds skylight which both brighten stuff up a bit. It makes it look a bit washed out though imo it’s not that bad. And you can always use the ColorCorrectionEffect to regain it.

Bloom does not make stuff blurry far away. And imo depth of field looks good in like screen shots or when aiming in a game. But some games might not benefit so that’s why it’s optional to enable.

1 Like

Disclaimer: Roblox appears to have made the new baseplate the default as of today. If you would like the old one then you can use the Classic Baseplate template or the attached version 18 of the Baseplate, which predates recent changes up to the replacement:
18 - Old Baseplate.rbxl (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

This was the best idea and its appealing and was easy to work with

Can you post images or send an example please comparing the 2/
Have you looked into SurfaceAppearance yet or have any plans to use this in the future?

Would expect most games want to specify where the player spawns in. You can always delete it.

1 Like

It appears that as of now they are starting to force it on users

The thing is, we only do that for the main game. And the lighting for the main game is nowhere near as foggy and blurry as the lighting on the new baseplate. For me I prefer having my workshop baseplates with no added lighting effects gets in the way.

1 Like

Today we made a change so the new baseplate is now used in the new project flow as the default. The older baseplate was renamed to “Classic Baseplate” as many of you stated this is still valuable to you.

If you have a specific template you like to use that has some unique settings that you always use, suggest you save this as a project, and then you can publish to a new project whenever you want to start something new.

Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback here, we enjoy reading your notes and always find it useful.

1 Like

This is evidence that Roblox is stepping in the right direction. This is a simple, beginner friendly canvas. I love the grid part, It helps soooo much.

It would be nice if we could choose which one opens when you hit the open new tab in studio.

I’ve already seen the baseplate soon as you released it into studio and you did not make a announcement but now you are.

Can the rendering team take a look at this? I dislike this flickering from the baseplate Texture, it’s distracting and hurts my eyes lol

1 Like

If you put the part in another part and the surface is the same height or length or width you will see that. Its called z fighting. Theres no fix for it and occurs in any game engine. Just dont put a part in a part with the same size or height or length.

1 Like

The part is a moderately thick part on top of the baseplate. (i.e. not 0.2 thickness or below) Not inside it. The camera isn’t even that high, just a couple storeys up. The rendering team can probably change something in the depth buffer, or the baseplate could be a MeshPart with a TextureId (that won’t axis-fight) - I don’t know, we aren’t roblox engineers.

The reply was directed to the people who work at roblox btw; I’m looking for a fix - not a workaround (that doesn’t happen to be relevant)

2 Likes

Oh I’m guessing your using the force field material. Since putting a flat surface on another flat surface causes that. I doubt it would be fixed because it’s been like that for years and there has been no fix and could be due to how the outline effect works but who knows I’m probably wrong. If you want a workaround put the part just slightly up or just put the part inside it. And if you’re not using the force field material you should provide the .rblxm file where this occurs or give reproduction steps. Dont give anything you dont want to be shown just whatever causes it. I understand you dont want a workaround but its best to provide one to use for now if it ever gets fixed.

1 Like