New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

Yes, but I shouldn’t have to - is it really that hard to open up the two baseplates to check yourself? This is not a hard to see thing.
Give me a minute.
These two images both have the same colored baseplate and spawn position. Being too hazy is the least of this new template’s concerns - it’s pleasing on the eyes but I’d rather the default template not be so odd looking in color reproduction.

I’m not even sure what’s causing it. Is it the Specular/Diffuse scale? I’m not sure why anybody would want those turned that high, if it makes everything look this washed out constantly and all the colors tinted so distortedly. Epecially combined with the thick atmospheric haze that it is.

I know, I know, it looks pretty. But it just doesn’t feel Neutral - it imposes a very specific feeling that turns me away as compared to the classic baseplate, which is certainly not as “cool” looking, but lets the environment not get in the way of anything I make in it - IMO especially good for those first few steps of building anything. Starting with such biased lighting in such an empty world just makes me sure I’m going to get the colors wrong right from the start and forces me to either wait until an entire scene has come together to get a sense of color, or turn all the settings in lighting back off - defeating it’s point as a template to begin with.

Maybe that sounds like a weird nitpick. But there is something to be said for your blank canvas template truly beeing an unbiased, accurately blank canvas to start with.

I would LOVE to have this beautiful baseplate texture on something with all these effects cut in half - from the diffuse to the atmosphere. At the very least, atmosphere. It seems to have the biggest effect, adding a hazy look to pretty much anything.

Here’s a gif of the most classic of buildings - You can see as I toggle the Atmosphere it goes from looking washed out and odd to more accurate. I’d want a baseplate to represent what i’m starting building on it well, yes? Especially in the shadowed back parts, it just looks… Hazy is the only word I can think of.

https://i.gyazo.com/0f93927a29af92f4a5825d7ec2ca664e.mp4

As for surface appearance, I’m not sure what that has to do with anything or why I you are asking me about that? I’ve not said anything about them here.

4 Likes

Can we have a feature to set what File > New opens up? It slows down workflow to have to fish out the classic baseplate instead of having it automatically load up like it used to.

7 Likes

I love the skybox of this template, it fits perfectly with the clouds!

1 Like

The new baseplate looks cool and modern but i prefer the old classic one.

5 Likes

It does look pretty cool, though.

4 Likes

Could be great for people who build on the baseplate only. Size, design, atmosphere… this update was cool.
I will use both of these templates - depends on types of game a bit.

5 Likes

I will continue to be saddened that file > new opens up this “pretty” yet blinding baseplate. I agree with a prior post here - The ability to set what template gets opened up with “New”, and straight up adding your own templates for said purpose, would go a long way to fixing my troubles with this.

For now, I will painstakingly turn off all of these ““pretty”” features upon pressing the new button in order to get a more neutral template that won’t tint my creations before I’ve even got a sense of what they are.

I really do think my prior post on making it less biased, even slightly, should be taken into consideration. I personally find 0.8 for Diffuse/Specular looks nice, and a bit less atmosphere.
Really, the issue is likely to do with the bright clear blue backdrop and how the lighting effects the empty baseplate - But, that’s what makes the original baseplate better IMO - Everybody starts off with nothing and slowly build up from there. It’s nice when the default baseplate represents creations well in a vacuum - I suspect this template would look great after it’s filled with various buildings and extra light sources, but is that really what we’re trying to represent in a baseplate? At that point you’d have likely already added your lighting effect tweaks personalized in anyways.

Maybe I’m nitpicking.
I’m good at that.

3 Likes
Old Baseplate Vs New Baseplate
  • New Baseplate
  • Classic Baseplate

0 voters

1 Like

Where can I get the PBR Demonstration Mesh? (The mesh in the image)

1 Like

In my opinion, this update makes the baseplate almost useless to me.

When I open up a new place I open it for a clean slate kind of place, not something filled with stuff to make it look “good” (, which also in my opinion is an overstatement considering it’s bland).

If this was meant to encourage newcomers to find out about certain assets in studio, you might as well have made another template and called it a tutorial of sorts.

TLDR: The new baseplate isn’t a good replacement for the old one since it isn’t an actual clean slate but a showmodel now.

4 Likes

Definitely think we should allow devs to have their own starting templates that you can easily choose from (although today you can just select a template project and then save it as a new project).

7 Likes

Just delete the lighting effects? :flushed:

2 Likes

Almost as if I could have that by default if they didn’t let this update go through. :relaxed:

2 Likes

This still unnecessarily slows down workflow.

1 Like

I would like a way to use the empty ‘classic’ baseplate when creating a new file (Ctrl+N). If I want to use the new predecorated baseplate with distracting lighting settings I will open it through the templates menu like the Studio beginners it was intended for.

Instead I have to wait an extra 10 seconds every time for what should be a simple task of loading up a blank slate, clear of distractions.

Oh no! My work flow is being slowed by a few seconds what will I do

6 Likes

Forgot to say this, but the classic baseplate is still here.

2 Likes

I’m saying that moving your mouse cursor an inch will not break the space time continuum.

3 Likes

don’t care, aired and also Ratio

2 Likes

That deleted post was directed at the person above you. But, this still doesn’t address the slowdown in workflow (yes, a reduction of a few seconds does make a difference if you have a time limit). It would be so much simpler to just have a built in feature to choose the default. It may not be a problem for you and I commend you for being able to work with it, but for some people it’s an issue. I’m not the only one who has had a problem with the new baseplate, and roblox has already taken note of it.

1 Like