New Studio Template - Baseplate 2021

Loving the new template and how it showcases the newest updated lighting!

16 Likes

I know but since its so simple it would be really easy to implement a simple transfer feature and would make it less of a hastle

5 Likes

Amazing, This new update is great, I feel like I can develop a game 24/7 now, It’s making me feel encouraged to Develop a game every time I see this beautiful view!

6 Likes

Besides nostalgia, I think everyone will love this! Nice to see it has incremenets for builders instead of just using studs.

Good work!

4 Likes

ah yes. Such an amazing view.

9 Likes

I have mixed opinions on the new baseplate, mostly not liking how it feels more packaged with features and instances - I liked how the original baseplate was nothing more than one part with a wide area, it felt like a clean slate which is why we all usually chose the Baseplate over a terrain template.

I don’t exactly see the purpose of a SpawnLocation in the center, and it does feel a bit too large and isn’t aligned with the grid texture. It also appears to be a bit too ‘foggy’ or ‘wet’, and the top of the skybox also appears funky or pixelated.

Small nit pick from me - It would be nice if the size of the sun and moon were smaller, in real life both of them are about a degree wide, while in Roblox they are over 10 degrees in angular size.

9 Likes

Post cleared/deleted; not viewable

4 Likes

This was a really bad day to release a baseplate changer plugin, wasn’t it?

25 Likes

The baseplate looks excellent! However, I am annoyed at the scaling of the SpawnLocation. Im just used to a sort of Spawn with the size of 4,1,4 size. Actually, I think resetting the spawn size to that would make it look much better as it would fit neatly into one of those 4x4 boxes on the baseplate!

4 Likes

Looks nicer with clouds. :+1:

10 Likes

At least certain people will demand a plugin for the old baseplate, eh? There will at least be one person saying “Bring the old one back!”
Better get working on that :laughing:

6 Likes

I really like it! Sure I’ll miss the old one, but this looks way better. It will be easier to measure, and it looks more professional

3 Likes

But I am a little happy about this new update, with the new fearures being added we will be able to push the ROBLOX Engine to it’s limits and advance in developing. I will be aure to try this feature/features tomorrow if I have time, although great job ROBLOX.

2 Likes

I think this is really cool, because there are lighting instances and the baseplate comes with a texture. This shows more intuitiveness for learners, though the old one is good enough for me.

-updates are exciting: thank you roblox!

3 Likes

It’s nice to see an updated baseplate. I’ve been using my own custom baseplate for a while now, as shown here:

If interested, here’s the plugin (probably only works for the original default baseplate):
Custom Default Baseplate.rbxmx (30.4 KB)

9 Likes

People say first impressions last a lifetime, and this new baseplate template will give some new developers a better first step into developing with Roblox studio.

• The larger baseplate, lighting effects, and cloudless sky definitely make the game feel more limitless.
  • The default spawn point will give people more of an indication of where the character will spawn when they playtest the game.
  • The Bloom, DepthOfField, Atmosphere, and SunRays effects will make a new developer’s first builds look a lot better in a more natural lighting environment.
  • The previous game.Lighting.GeographicLatitude value of 41.733 felt arbitrary to me, and a value of 0 combined with the new TimeOfDay/ClockTime value seems to produce better-looking and more predictable shadows.
  • BubbleChat being enabled by default will help as well, as I have seen some newer devs confused on how to enable it, as you can’t turn it on via Game Settings in studio.

I’ve been using a baseplate grid texture similar to the new one for a while, as I installed a plugin called ‘Baseplate Upgrader’. All it really did was add grid texture and remove the studs. A baseplate grid like this greatly helps, whether you are making large buildings or very small items that need correct alignment.

I can certainly see many developers being nostalgic for the older-style baseplate, just like the old starter places, despite it being little more than 1 resized part.

But the default spawn point doesn’t match the one that is inserted via the explorer, as it is 0.2 studs high, rather than 1 stud high. (EDIT 8th May 2021: This has been fixed)
I was also wondering, will the new skybox texture be replacing the current default one?

4 Likes

I love the fact that studio is introducing features to create a less child-like environment. I think it will really help bring aspiring developers to the platform. Great work!

3 Likes

Great update. This template is much more representative of modern Roblox and will hopefully help dispel the notion that “Roblox is a lego game for kids”.

3 Likes

I feel like the default gravity should be reduced from 196.2 to some value much much smaller, like 50. If we do the math, because gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, this establishes that 1 meter = 20 studs (196.2 / 9.8 = ~20).

However, I don’t think 1 meter = 20 studs is a very good scale to represent the real world, based on how other things in the Roblox metaverse are scaled. Let’s look at character height.

A typical Rthro character is right around 6 studs tall. With the 1 meter = 20 studs conversion, this would mean that your character is 6 / 20 = 0.3 meters tall, which is horribly incorrect and makes everything feel extremely small and toyish.

If we guesstimate that this Rthro character is around the height of a typical adult male, so let’s say 5’10", that would land us at about 1.8 meters. This establishes that in our physically-correctly-scaled world, 1.8 meters should equal 6 studs. With this new knowledge, if we convert the gravitational acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared to studs, we get 9.8 * (6 / 1.8) = 32.6 studs/sec^2.

Plugging in our new gravity value into this new template:
First, I opened the new 2021 baseplate template. I set Workspace.Gravity to 33, as according to my calculation. This made the character jump really high though. According to google, the average human can jump 20 inches, which is about 0.5 meters. 0.5 meters * (6 / 1.8) = 1.67 studs jump height.
I set the character jump height in StarterPlayer, and… BOOM!

Or wait… what? It turns out that humanoid jumping physics is broken like heck for small values. The actual specified height is reached, but the movement is extremely stiff and also allows you to jump in midair. Well, RIP. The point of this post was to prove that we could reach new levels of realism, but it turns out humanoids are not up for the task.

[edit: it also turns out that most free model cars do not handle this lowered, adjusted gravity very well. I can see why they didn’t change the gravity. It definitely takes a lot of courage, as Apple would say, to make this change.]

27 Likes

The only thing I don’t like is the new sky. It just doesn’t look real.

While the lighting and materials have been made to look much more realistic, the sky has gone in the opposite direction - looking more digital and less like the realistic friendly sky we all know.

3 Likes