New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

There are a few sentences in the original post which don’t exactly fill me with confidence that this is the case, but I really do hope that Roblox keeps the current materials available to both preserve existing content and allow the 2014 Roblox style to continue to exist.

1 Like

Opt In
Place Id: 6047588548
Profile Id: 544803325

I hope that they upgrade the original materials with PBR. As much as I love the old Roblox materials, I would love to see them in PBR.

Perhaps there could be a way to get the new, revamped versions (if there were any) AND the old materials. This way, you’d have a choice for your build style.

1 Like

The original materials do have PBR.

1 Like

They could still do with an update.

Example: Fabric. Honestly, fabric looks more like a burlap material. It looks like something that you would find in medieval times. I would never use it for carpet. Thankfully, they are adding a carpet material. If it wasn’t for the new materials, I would highly suggest a revamp on the fabric material.

Also, some of the materials we have at this moment, do appear to have PBR under closer inspection, but some don’t look 3D at all.

Slate looks rough and bumpy. You feel like you could reach out and touch it. Grass, unless put under a light, looks flat and texture less. Of course, this is my opinion, so don’t quote me on any of this.

3 Likes

Prior to the Future Is Bright Phase 2.5 update, Grass was still dull, but it didn’t look as badly clamped and placed under the sun’s specular did give off a small degree of light:

However, it now looks far duller:

There are several other materials, which were negatively impacted by the FiB2.5 update for games which don’t use EnvironmentalSpecular and EnvironmentalDiffuse scales, and even with them on, continue to lack their previous characteristics.
For any materials that Roblox plans to keep, I would hope that they fine-tune them with how they previously looked (October 2013-January 31st 2020) so that their desired effect can be restored - another prime example would be the Plastic material, the only one that I don’t see being removed under any circumstances.

OldPlastic NewPlastic
(left is old, right is current)

5 Likes

I agree, FiB2.5 really messed up some of these materials.

2 Likes

Great feature
But as of recently I’m confused on how the opt in system works for the beta.
I’m not sure if you have to have a Invite or you get notified in your E-mail
Great feature all together and I’m really anxious to try it out
I’ll test it out on a simple base plate this time.

Opt In
Place Id: 6168542402

YES I WOULD LOVE TO OPT IN

place id: 1390945600

I can’t wait to try this stuff out!
Opt in
Place ID: 1560084346

this on track before the day of 2021. it most likely won’t come this year

I wouldn’t suggest using the roadmap. They practically abandoned it.

5 Likes

It was updated kind of recently, I know that because I’ve been checking it a bunch.

It’s been updated twice this year, after the community got annoyed at them.

Hey, at least it received updates at all. Bigger updates twice a year is (in my opinion) just as good as frequent small updates. I think referring to the roadmap is just fine, as I think the roadmap is a very valuable resource.

The reason for the MAJOR infrequency this year could be them putting more resources into actual studio updates because they have limited resources due to the pandemic.
(also why did wiry post cloud related stuff on this thread? did he mean to post it on the clouds thread?)

They weren’t ‘bigger’ updates, it was updating a graph. We got TWO minor updates on the Roadmap in a year, after a Roblox admin told us that this year they’d be updated as we got to the quarter.

Pandemic or not, Roblox is a billion dollar company, and should be able to keep their developers updated and informed on what has been added to studio and what has been deferred.

5 Likes

Woah! i would definitely like to
OPT IN!
Place ID: 6168599583

Look absolutely astonishing! Amazing how far Roblox has gone in terms of graphics. Can’t wait for it to go public!

In the meantime, Id’ like to opt-in this place: 6098223711
User ID: 540781721
Thanks, and love this new update!

@IdontPlayz343 @ProfessorOfK3ology

I agree that a new Material for woodplanks is in desperate need, but here’s my configuration of utilizing textures that aligns with what you two are trying to achieve.

I always find that making the textures vague and tweaking their StudsPerTile always works best. Though, it isn’t immersive enough as you two are proposing.

From many observations and toying around, this is probably the best route you are currently able to take if you are trying to achieve what you are proposing.

6 Likes

This looks awesome! I am so excited to start using these new materials!

But for now, I’d like to opt in

Game ID: 5727645143

1 Like