New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

How do I enable this? I’ve downloaded the v1.5.Windows.zip but have no idea where to put it.

The issue is that new sand is significantly more noisy than the old one. Although it does benefit people who use sand solely for sand, it’s been used on beds, paper, and who knows what else. Therefore, it is a terrible idea to change anything about sand, for it ruins the vast majority of its uses.

Someone even complained about it in an earlier thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m dumb :slight_smile:

Wood planks is significantly improved. I used to hate wood planks, now I love it.

Edit: 888th post w

I would agree with most of what you said in this specific post however I have said in a previous post that I do think Wood and WoodPlanks are the two winners of this whole update in its current form.

While I do agree with you that the majority of people here responded just because they didn’t like the new change, after a while people have started posting much more constructive criticism which showcases that indeed, the update needs some revision.

1 Like

Old granite was absolutely garbage. At the very least, I’m grateful that granite actually has a purpose now.

1 Like

I think the ideal solution for the materials controversy is for Roblox to support custom tileable materials. We already have SurfaceAppearance - custom materials would just be tileable SurfaceAppearance that can be applied to all part types. Developers could use the old materials as custom materials in their games, which would load on a per-game basis (like decals, textures, and meshes do), so Roblox’s installed materials folder wouldn’t have to double in size (a valid concern!).

Custom tileable materials would solve the current controversy, and they would also be a huge value-add for the platform in general. It’s one of the most popular requests for the game engine:

1 Like

As many others I am kinda scared of the material change being forced and not being something that adds to our material-choice. F to all our big builds that will look weird now… :fist:

1 Like

I do agree. Personally…

If wood and wood planks are winners of the update, then I personally believe that slate is a big loser of this update. What was once a glorious multipurpose rough material on bathroom tiles, rocks, etc. is now a flat thing. I saw the texture, and I could only find one place in real life where it would fit; some garden tiles. New slate is next to useless as opposed to it’s ancestor.

Everyone has been asking for SurfaceAppearance to work more like a Texture instance with that and colour. If this is done, all problems will be fixed.

3 Likes

Open RobloxStudioBeta in the Release Studio folder.

2 Likes

Despite all the negativity towards this update, I’m going to say something that you all should realise, but you all hate as well.

Life is about adapting to change.

Yes, it’s good to call out bad issues. For example, BLM, suffragettes etc.
However, at the end of the day, those groups did force change on society. So, life really is about adapting to new changes.

2 Likes

This really needs some improvements, this update will ruin my game and make it even worse to see stuff like outlines.
There needs to be a way to opt out of this update.

I am currently having issues with fabric, diamond plate, metal, plastic, concrete, slate and grass materials.

Diamond plate just looks too smooth from far away. Its comparable to smooth plastic from a distance.

Slate just looks like molten plastic with holes inside of it.
Fabric looks like bricks and not even like fabric at all.

Concrete looks amazing the further way from the middle, but you can clearly see the texture repeating constantly and it frustrates me.

Grass literally looks like a haybale to me.

6 Likes

When will the custom textures launch?

Wasn’t this material change going to go live first before we even get a change of using custom materials?

We need an alternative when something gets removed, otherwise it will cause issues.

Is the intention that we’re meant to be able to mix terrain parts with the new materials on regular parts? If so, this is not the case with what has shipped in the beta RC.

On the left - grass part.
On the right - terrain.

Same RGB values.

This would be really nice to get fixed. Would also be nice to have it fixed for surface appearance diffuse colors too, while you’re at it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What does the developer forum exist for?

It exists so that we developers can have our voices heard by Roblox.

Furthermore, textures are not an apt replacement of materials. They do not possess normal, roughness, and metal maps. They are just a flat, boring, image. We should not have to resort to such a method.

3 Likes

Yes, let’s use textures; reflectance can’t be edited, they don’t react to light properly unlike materials, what else?

2 Likes

I use metal for darkening colors, it makes it easier than going into the slider and moving it down every time since the UX there would be horrific.

I now have to go through and manually darken every metal part in my game. (its a sci-fi game. go figure). It’s going to take a long time, and I’d much rather be spending it on updates.

I’d be happy to compromise if we were able to add custom colors into the color wheel, it’d make my life so much easier.

As for the textures themselves… they look more like plastic to me. Having a sci-fi game with the new diamond plate texture is… not great. It’s lost the metallic feel to it when future lighting isn’t enabled.
I’d use future, but the performance impacts are too great.

Custom materials would solve this easily. I’d just start uploading my own metal textures, fabric textures etc.

Very mixed opinions here. I love the idea, but the execution is terrible. I get that you can’t have both for the sake of download time but please, if you’re going to force this on us, look into optimising future a bit so the materials dont look flat, or pushing custom materials faster.

1 Like

Although this is a solution, SurfaceAppearance is not tileable yet. It would be great if I didn’t have to upload to many textures for PBR.

The math:

Let’s assume I want every possible combination of a certain material for PBR. So a SurfaceAppearance instance has 4 parameters we need, color normal metal and roughness maps.

We have 0-255 for R,G and B, so 256^3 = 16,777,216 colors.

Then, we have size. Each material tiles up to 8x8 studs, from a minimum of 0.05, going up in increments of 0.001. This gives us 7951 possibilities for length OR width, so 63,218,401 total area parameters.

In total, to fully preserve just ONE material, I’d upload about 4.24251508*10^15 textures. Damn!

First off, don’t be rude. This is Devforum, not a flamewar zone.

Secondly, I’m not whining at all. I simply stated why textures aren’t close to materials at all.

I recommend @XAXA’s plugin Part Picker

I’ve suggested this before, in a QoL update thread. I got a few likes, but idk if Roblox read it.

1 Like