New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

roblox i am begging you please make these textures optional, a lot of games are getting ruined by these ones. thousands of roblox games have been built around the old textures and forcing new ones with drastic changes is not a good move.

3 Likes

at first, i was extremely excited upon seeing this post. when i opened my game however, everything looked much more plastic-y…and disappointing for my wasteland game. hopefully it’s better for other people’s style

2 Likes

If a toggle is implemented instead of just simply having them side by side, the old materials will be removed eventually as future interns or whoever 2 - 4 years down the line would assume the fact that there’s a toggle implies it’s ‘deprecated’, and with a little “We here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: at we we here Robust conversation :flushed: Feedback :flushed: innovation One Backward for Ten Steps Forward” word salad, they’d get them removed forever.

2 Likes

well, i did change up my opinion in New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES! - #681 by IdontPlayz343

I mean I think that’s still better than them being forced now. Who knows, maybe in 2-4 years roblox could listen to developers outrage rather than do that thing they’re doing now and have been doing since the beginning of time.

Edit: After seeing the much more active forum thread here, I am glad to see that some feedback has been taken in. I’ll be honest, I wrote the original reply here kind of heated after originally hearing the forced update post. I do like some of the new materials coming, like the new wood and wood planks. However, I am also in favor of keeping both the current and modern material textures for the sake of different building styles and also for using (in my opinion) some of the better-looking textures we already had.

(New wood textures, credit to WoodReviewer)

(Original Reply)

Really really doubt that Roblox will actually listen to this, but please allow us to keep using the current (what will soon be legacy) materials and keeping these maintained. I understand Roblox is trying to push for a more professional and modern style. However, as a builder, these new textures end up severely limiting what you can really do with them or what building styles you can work with in my opinion, and can ruin a lot of existing and some currently in-development games. Don’t get me wrong, these materials can be useful for more realistic builds but some of these new materials just end up looking so, so bland for anything else.

2 Likes

I agree, It’d work better for games trying to look like old Roblox, And it may ruin some builds, It’d be cool if there was an switch, To new textures to old textures in your games, The good thing about this though is that there may be part water, that’s great for ALOT of games.

1 Like

They did, take a look at solution of the newer post about the release build.

1 Like

I think they’ve redone a couple of the textures, so I’ll be doing a re-review of these.

You make a good point here.
Sure, some people want to make cartoony games, but if you’re like me, I use the roblox platform for it’s easy tools, and I still want to go for a realistic/cartoony vibe. Why should I limit my games to cartoony textures?
Just because ROBLOX was a lego game doesn’t mean it has to stay a lego game.
Why not be a lego unreal engine 4?

1 Like

I thought this convo was literally over, but I guess you’re continuing it?

Read my post please.

If we have both sets of materials available, it would be stupid not to allow us to use them both simultaneously as allowing it would unlock more possibilities for developers.

2 Likes

Can I get an f in the replies for this… as a wish me luck? I’m gonna need it when this update comes out.

1 Like

Wrong. Very wrong. In places like wales in the uk. Rural areas, cobble stone is what is used to make houses. It’s very pretty.

3 Likes

Correct, this is a very valid point, @A_SquaredAnimations look at this.

3715704263_c67a2e8f47_z
th

1 Like

@Trickstaarz and @Dev_Rig Conversation ended like, 2 months ago. I saw the other replies I just didn’t acknowledge them because that would be irrelevant to this topic.

1 Like

Well I wanted to discontinue my converstation about the sand material but it seemed like it never ended, also look at this post. It’s explaining what I mean’t since you didn’t understand. Hope that helps.

Yeah ik just wanted to clarify on this sorry matey.

1 Like

As much as i was hoping for an update like this, i was left a bit dissapointed.

A lot of the textures that used to look realistic and detailed have lost that sense completely. The new terrain textures seem to have a lot more small detail but at the end that only makes them look flat from far away; thing which didn’t happen with the original textures.

Altought we recognize the effort Roblox put into this great update, i dont really think it was the way to do it and i only hope this update is not forced.

Did you not hear the update? They are putting the update on hold to figure a way to allow users to choose.