New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

Here you go have fun

1 Like

It looks like the old slate material. :joy:

3 Likes

Eh sort of, just a bit. The texture just needs to be more softer since it is a bit too rough and it also needs to be sparkly

2 Likes

I was about to say that! I can’t wait to build with the new materials when they become public!

5 Likes

Thanks for all of your feedback so far! In response to some very useful imagery from the survey, we wanted to provide one more build for you which addresses:

• Wood Plank and Brick are visually improved and now stud aligned, making building easier.
  • Color (Albedo) on Ground and Sand has been improved to work better in shadows.
  • Improved fabric contrast in shadows and when set to very bright colors.

This is now our final planned pre-release build to showcase the visual changes and improvements for these shaders. Next, we will shift our attention to QA so that we can prepare to release them. Thank you again!

28 Likes

Thank you for this, I love being able to play around with stuff like these. But heres some changes I’d like too see once the new materials when fully released.

1. Diamond Plate at the ends should be more sharper, they’re a bit too rounded.

2. Diamond Plate on lowest settings doesn’t show

3. Fabric material should tile more, knitted fabric isn’t really that big. Looking at RDC 2020, the fabric material here tiles a lot more which I think is better
    Only thing in that screenshot is I think the fabric material should be a bit more bigger.

4. The wooden plank texture scales by 1 stud now which is nice, but the new wooden plank texture now just looks more boring and plain. It also looks way too clean, it should look more dirty not too clean. Obviously not too dirty but just a bit.

5. Cobblestone on parts look so much worse on terrain, I really hope this gets fixed, also cobblestone on terrains seems to be smaller.

6. I like how the line thingy is a lot brighter in the brick material, its much more realistic. I also like how the brick texture also scales on .5 and 1 stud, and how wood planks and brick doesnt also have a seam when putting them both together. However, it agian looks way too clean, it should look a bit more dirty. Not too dirty just a bit. Also brick on terrain looks different then parts, I’d say a bit worse on terrain.

7. I like how pavement is more smaller though I think it should be a tad bit bigger, and it should look a bit dirty, it looks too clean, obviously not too dirty but just a bit. Though, when zooming out the inner thingy parts of pavement turns white.
    When you’re farther

When you’re closer

Also I HATE how pavement on terrain looks so much worse, no offense but on terrain it just looks ugly. Also on pavement on terrain there’s still another pavement material on top of one and the tilling isn’t the same on parts.

8. I like the improved concrete material I think it looks better, but one issue is that it’s not really that noticeable anymore, and it kind of looks like rubber a bit.

9. Basalt on parts looks a bit different terrain, though this could be due to the geometry.

10. Not really a big fan of the asphalt material imo. Looking at asphalt on roads it looks a lot more different. I also think there should a couple cracks to show its a bit old. And also asphalt on part kind of looks like noise.

11. Limestone material looks great but I think on parts it should be more brighter.

12. Slate and sandstone looks a bit like ruber

13. I dont like the grass material, it doesn’t look that good. I’d be nice to see some dirt and not a bunch of flattened grass, it also looks a bit rough.

14. Leafy grass doesn’t blend well at all with grass, it should use the same grass texture with bunch of scattered leaves. Also the leaves doesn’t really look like leaves, there should be a stem.

15. Snow should look a lot softer, it looks a bit rough, also it should look more sparkly because snow is pretty sparkly

16. Sandstone on parts looks worse then on terrain, heres the difference

On parts it looks more flat but on terrain it looks a lot better.

17. Shadows on sand look strange, It looks like weird noise I guess you could say. It’s hard to explain It’s more noticeable on spheres and cylinder

Also sand on terrain looks like it has a grid of sparkly bits

The sand waves should be a bit more softer imo, they’re a bit sharp

18. I don’t really like the wood texture, it has too many knots, it also looks like someone spilled chili on it which makes it look worse, heres a screenshot of what I mean.

Also when close too wood it shows I guess more detail in the wood, here’s what I mean

If you look closely you see its more detailed but then it cuts off. Looking at the wood grain on the wooden planks it looks better and obviously needs to be changed a bit to be used as regular wood, but it’d be nice if it looked somewhat similar to that. Like something somewhat like this in this picture just a bit more rougher maybe, would work well

19. And again slate still looks too smooth, looking at the old slate texture in regular studio its a lot more rough, something like that would be more better.

20. Plastic is barley noticeable and seems to be less noticeable then the old plastic.

21. I’m not a big fan of the new corroded metal material which was released in v1.4 studio. It kind of does looks like barf, no offense it just really reminds me of that. It should also tile more so it looks higher res and so it works better with small parts.

22. I don’t really like the metal material, the scratches kind of resembles hair, and not just that it’s not that noticeable and looks plain and should be a bit less reflective, though that could be due to the texture itself.

23. Cracked lava should be more smaller on parts because currently its bigger on parts then terrain and would be better if it tiles as much as much as it does currently on terrain

24. Blending bug on certain materials on terrain is still there. Heres what I mean

You can tell it just flattens out at the end like you can see the faces more clearly. It just now doesn’t seem to be as apparent anymore.

25. This also happens in regular roblox but still would like it to be fixed regardless. On terrain PBR shows on graphics level 8. Which is WAYY too high just for PBR. On part’s it shows up as level 3 and would like it to be the same as terrain. I don’t know if this was a mistake or for some reason performs a lot worse on terrain, but this is something that should defiantly be fixed. Currently on like 5 or 6 settings it just looks mushy and ugly when that should show on 1 and 2. Here’s it on level 3 next to parts which show PBR
    ![RobloxScreenShot20210520_204308959|690x355]
    (upload://3UaQ5H13CsMO3CVR0eAKwbzWXUK.png)

26. Foil doesnt show on lower settings like how diamond plate doesnt.

Also it’d be nice to have a mattress material, so far I just use fabric but the issue is it’s not realistic obviously, I think it’d be great to have a mattress material, I’d love to use it. Also I think there should be a dead grass material like this

Also a grass material with flowers would be great to have as well.

Also you should add a cork material. With the old materials pebble was used as cork since it didn’t really look like pebbles. But since pebbles look like pebbles now which I like, you can’t use it as cork anymore or any material as cork
Here’s a picture for reference.

Also another material which would be a great addition would be a cardboard material, I think a cardboard material would be a good addition.

Also another material which would be nice to have is a limestone wall material.
Heres a picture for reference

Also I hope a drywall and shingle material is added it’d be a great addition. I really want them and I’m sure others do.

A lot of these materials look really nice, even though theres a lot I want changed it still doesn’t the fact they look great, these are manly just more smaller changes.

18 Likes

off the bat I notice that these materials (metal, corroded metal, diamond plate, foil, grass and glacier) seem to have a bluish teal tint. In the image they’re supposed to be medium stone gray. Small brain, its the skybox reflecting.

The glass bug still isnt fixed. This is .4 transparency.

vs .6 transparency

Glass also behaves strangely alltogether

4 Likes

… Is it because you have a blue skybox? The new materials reflect a little bit of your sky. Really brings all of your colors together.

6 Likes

Well now I feel stupid, that was it.

me

5 Likes

Glad that these were improved, but can we please get some word on if these are going to forcibly replace the old ones or not? I’m really dreading the idea of having to convert everything to meshparts and using surfaceappearance to keep the old ones.

1 Like

Adding on to this, I do not believe the new materials will ever come close enough to the current ones to keep intended visual style, and under no circumstances can any such change be forced onto all games. I have filled in the previously linked survey, but I am not entirely confident that our concerns and ideas as developers will be taken seriously by the people upstairs, and have provided a couple of options in this post as alternative routes that would not cause significant damage to the works and efforts of developers.

Option 1: I believe the one of the best ways forward is, if possible, to allow both material sets to be used simultaneously at the discretion of developers, with existing materials retaining their current placement and enums, and the new materials being added with new naming/enum values to avoid conflicting with the current ones. That being said, this method could clutter up the material list significantly and may not be a feasible strategy.

Option 2: Alternatively, if option 1 is indeed not at all feasible, we will gladly accept some kind of toggle being added per-game in Roblox Studio (retaining the disabled behaviour by default for ALL pre-existing games) to flip between the old and new library (stored within separate folders to avoid conflict). This would allow for developers to switch if they so choose, but also allow for existing places to be left untouched and to stay the same. This would also avoid cluttering up material enums and listings.

That being said, I believe that those are the only options that will be accepted by the community, and anything else is an insult to 8 years of hard work. Roblox has established itself as a development engine to Power Imagination - forcibly overriding the visual styles of developers would be a hilariously ironic move against everything the platform stands for.

As previously stated in other posts, I have no disrespect towards the engineers and staff who have worked tirelessly to put the new materials together, and nobody is arguing against them. All we want is backwards compatibility and the ability to CHOOSE what we want in our games.

I am aware, @RBLXImagineer and @JoshSedai, that these decisions are not yours to make. However, we haven’t heard back on this matter since the survey was posted over a month ago, and we ask you as developers to escalate to the managers and people making the decisions, that forcing any such change will go down like a lead balloon as a huge disservice to us, and make us feel significantly disheartened that our opinions and ideas are being completely ignored for the sake of “realism”.

Thank you.

13 Likes

I can definitely agree with this I have a game called Obby Runners(You can play here (Full Release)Obby Runners - Roblox) and the only things I use is mainly smooth plastic unless I am making a special obby for my game.

1 Like

The new metal in this build looks godly. The onlt thing I have some concerns about is concrete, but, as @A_SquaredAnimations said, use materialize!

I think my past projects will do very well in this update, and will look significantly better.

Excuse me, what is QA? I’m excited for these new materials and I’d like to see them out quickly.

I believe Quality Assurance testing is what QA means.

1 Like

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Also because i don’t want my creations’ clothing to look like it has stones embedded in it

1 Like

Plastic still is inconsistent with texture colors, however it’s now much less noticeable. It slightly bothers me, but at least it bothers me much less than how it used to before. (textured parts are plastic just like the untextured parts)

and grass still tiles weirdly:
Other than that, I think everybody would agree on having some way to keep the old textures or have custom terrain textures. I think it would also be extremely useful to have a “wet” setting on materials to change how wet things are, making rainy scenes look much more like they have actual rain in them.

3 Likes

Note that I am only using voxel in the images below because I cannot use Future in my game due to performance impact. I am only assessing material fit in artistic terms so it doesn’t matter.

Contrast / values are looking way way better than they were before, my game looks more or less the same in terms of values as it does with the old materials, thanks for addressing this.

Sand direction is also corrected, planks are stud aligned, and sand has visible detail even in low light, which is also excellent.

I think I would be comfortable with this being turned on in my games assuming tiling and other issues are fixed, (and preferably if the grass texture was changed to be less flat and awkward).

Presumably tiling issues will be addressed last, so I won’t mention them more than mentioning grass and sand tile very badly.

Sand currently feels too busy/noisy, maybe increasing the scale of the texture would help, or reducing how dense it ripples if that's easy to do.

Granite still looks completely different and throws off the look I was going for with my foliage.

Ice and snow are still visibly blue tinted, when my skybox is more orange than blue.

A lot of terrain-matching textures are also fuzzier and lower resolution than part textures, which looks pretty terrible.

To plug these again:
This feature request would address likely all problems with material textures having baked in color, from grout lines in bricks being too bright or dark, to corroded metal being too niche and specific to be useful to most developers.

This feature request would also totally address all problems with materials being too intense, not shiny enough, etc. or generally just not flexible enough.

Really like how this guy looks.

4 Likes

This is difficult to carry out.

The textures folder exceeds 100MB in size, so adding another would create lag for the secondary storage.

However, I agreed with this, and I’d be interested to see how the issue is tackled.

1 Like

Is it me or the new terrain materials look so bland, boring, overly realistic and overall just not fitting?

I mean, look at this fun and amazing photo using the old materials!
fun
They blend in, have better colors, and are not intensely realistic.

Versus, the new bland & boring materials.
boring
Out of color, very realistic, non-blending and discolored. Just doesn’t fit.

2 Likes