Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Oh ok I should’ve read above a bit earlier. Thank you for clarifying it.

1 Like

Awesome, Thanks for the response. The new UI is exciting and feels very clean to use and I look forward to the final version.

1 Like

Is it possible to collapse the UI?

1 Like

I wish the play buttons were centered similar to how Unity has it. Rather than using the keybinds I click the buttons and it’s much more of a stretch to reach across the screen (usually on my second monitor, so even longer) just to play-test my experience.
It’s not that big of a deal though as I could just end up being forced to learn the keybinds lol.

1 Like

While I like that the team is making good improvements in the Studio UI, I would just like to say that it takes up WAY too much space. I mean, the whole reason I even upgraded to a 1440p monitor was so I had more space for scripting and UI design!!

Yes. They popup even though they weren’t open.
Like I previously discussed regarding opening Studio & some plugins were there.

Now… (but never before)… when you test your experience … there are a few plugin panels that open up now… even if you haven’t used them in a long time.
Just seems to be a bug… and an annoying one too :slight_smile:

Here’s a sample of what I mean: (more when you say “Play Here”)

Now that I fixed my issue with crashing while this is on, I’ll leave some feedback.

First off, this UI is a major improvement than the old UI, and its very nice to finally see a major change after all the time I’ve spent developing. The icons look really clean and nice, and I really like all the splashes of colors on them too. I’m definitely excited for future stages of this next gen UI.

Anyways, some complaints about the new UI:

Why is the view tab gone? I know its in the topbar, but it was so much easier and useful to access and open windows such as Output and more.

This might be a bug, but why every time I open a place, the plugin icons randomly mix up? Plugins with multiple buttons stay grouped, but all plugins get mixed up every time I open a place, which is inconvienient.

Adding on to the last complaint, why do plugins close after you leave a solo playtest session? This didn’t happen before, so I’m not sure why this happens or why this is intentional if not another bug.

Likely another bug, why can’t I find the Take Screenshot option? I looked in every single tab of the topbar and UI but couldn’t find it. This is especially an issue to me because my computer weirdly oversaturates any screenshots I take that includes Studio using the Windows Snip and Sketch tool.

Why are the playtest options a collapsible menu? It’s a lot easier for me and others to just display every play option for quick access.

Finally, there should be more options UI tabs. Like the View tab in the legacy UI, there was a button for every window, buttons for parts like SpawnLocations in Model, and more. There is a lot of blank space that could be used for more buttons.

This UI has potential to be amazing, but could use some adjustments. Looking forward to the next stage of this UI.

it’s apart of the fluent ui principles and it is very common in new apps! would love to see roblox use the top bar space like how apple music does, no wasted space there

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for the new Roblox Studio UI beta, and I think it’s cool that it’s here! I like the new UI, and its potential for completely custom toolbar/ribbon layouts, and I also appreciate that the ribbon actually takes up less vertical space now (which is unexpected, since “modern flat” design loves to waste space with unnecessary padding).

I’ve found a bug, though: The movement snap interval rounds up any decimal number that’s longer than 3 decimal places! You might think the old UI also did this, but the new UI messed it up slightly…

Here, I set my movement snap interval to 0.0625, then moved a basic part away from the origin by one increment. Though the ribbon rounds it up to 0.063 (and the textbox rounds it down to 0.062, Studio shows that the part was correctly moved exactly 0.0625 units!
With the new UI, this doesn’t work. Here, I did the same thing, setting my interval to 0.0625. It gets rounded up in the UI, but this rounding actually changes the setting! When I repeat the test again, the console reports that the part is ~0.063 units away from the origin instead of 0.0625!
I know this is a pretty minor bug but I sometimes use very small, precise values like this so this would affect me and cause parts to shift slightly out of alignment as I move them more increments of 0.063.

5 Likes

This studio thing looks kinda good but I see a smallll downside to all of this. WHY IS THE SPACING SO BAD!!! It makes me annoyed for some reason… You gave the tabs too much space at the top.

Thank you for this. I can finally load play test in in under 5 seconds.

Man oh man Roblox, what a update. This is the best UI I’ve seen in a while, thank you!

Bit off topic but related to studio (I am unable to make feature requests)

We should get a keybind to toggle any boolean values in the script editor

alt + b would turn true into false etc

Alt + double click all booleans you want to change and fill in the correct

This is unrelated to the ribbon beta (as your video shows) - and we’re working on this one. A work around is to enable “Load All Built In Plugins In Test Mode” in Studio Settings->Studio->Test section.

This slows the play function slightly (might or might not matter depending on your HW) but you can actually disable the check after arranging things how you want and restarting studio. The bug is with the layout saving code.

1 Like

Bro, do, not, make this into the new UI, it is horrible. I’ve never seen such bad UI in my life. The only good UI is the CURRENT ONE!

Why is the view tab gone? I know its in the topbar, but it was so much easier and useful to access and open windows such as Output and more.

Most people were very confused by the grid of icons in the View tab. When the window is narrow enough, you need to use tooltips to figure out what thing was what. For those people, having an actual readable list in a menu is much easier to navigate quickly.

If you really miss the Output toggle button, customization means you’ll be able to add that back to as many toolbars as you like. If you access certain tools/actions very frequently, we always recommend binding a Shortcut for maximum efficiency.

This might be a bug, but why every time I open a place, the plugin icons randomly mix up? Plugins with multiple buttons stay grouped, but all plugins get mixed up every time I open a place, which is inconvienient.

Adding on to the last complaint, why do plugins close after you leave a solo playtest session? This didn’t happen before, so I’m not sure why this happens or why this is intentional if not another bug.

Both of these are unrelated to the new UI. This is due to Faster Play Solo optimizations. You can configure these under Studio Settings > Test. Plugins loading in inconsistent order is probably a bug we need to look into but, again, eventually you will be able to set your preferred order with custom tabs.

Likely another bug, why can’t I find the Take Screenshot option? I looked in every single tab of the topbar and UI but couldn’t find it. This is especially an issue to me because my computer weirdly oversaturates any screenshots I take that includes Studio using the Windows Snip and Sketch tool.

It’s gone for now because in our research most creators use OS provided or 3rd party tools for screen captures. But the actual tool isn’t gone so… guess what? CORRECT! You’ll be able to add it back in to your toolbars :wink:

Finally, there should be more options UI tabs. Like the View tab in the legacy UI, there was a button for every window, buttons for parts like SpawnLocations in Model, and more. There is a lot of blank space that could be used for more buttons.

Do I need to say it again? :slight_smile:

Hopefully you know I’m just having fun here. But we do believe having a simplified starting interface for new creators combined with a lot of customization capabilities is the best way forward.

1 Like

Apple Music has the advantage of working with a totally native UI for a single OS. Which makes it a lot easier to do these things.

Not to make excuses or say it’s impossible but we have looked at these approaches and they are very difficult to do well within our requirements and constraints.

Good catch/callout. Thank you!

1 Like