Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Cool changes. I remember when “Roblox Studio 2013” was introduced and people lost their minds over that one, it’s a bit funny to see similar complaints to back then.

As long as the team working on this takes feedback seriously (and they seem to), this will be fine and people will get used to it. Studio evolved a lot since 2013 (and especially prior) and I expect this will as well.

I’ll probably swap over fully when more customization options are available since some things are too difficult to reach personally.

I haven’t used it too much yet but in terms of initial impressions:

• I’d really like a compact mode. It’s way too big and too much empty space.
  • I think device emulation should be somewhere more accessible.
  • Icons with a dropdown menu are not center aligned, making them look off. Just a nitpick.
  • Icon design is really good - everything feels nice and doesn’t seem confusing.
  • Some plugins (notably Moon Animator) are too tall and clip through to the tabs bar. I can share an image if necessary.
  • I’m not sure if this is new, but I learned 1-5 can control the dragger controls. Awesome.
  • I’m sure this is just temporary while things are built out, but it would be nice to see the File, View, etc. options within the new UI. I think that would help with how much height the entire top takes up.
3 Likes

One suggestion for improving ease of use is to allow dropdown menus open with right-click in addition to clicking the arrow in the corner, especially given their current abundance.
Overall, I think the new UI looks pretty good.

For the love of god, don’t force us to use this “next gen” UI. I hope this has a switch to turn it off because I’m sticking to the OG one.

2 Likes
1 Like

Window > script > tag editor

1 Like

Anyone else having issues with the little “tooltips”, they take extremely long to appear when you hover over an icon, and they even sometimes appear above other things open within my Desktop. I was just switching to my browser when a tooltip comes up explaining what a part is, above my browser.
gBDA0x

Enabled the UI Preview, once loaded up a baseplate, the studio crashes

I really like the appearance of the UI, but as many others have stated there is some inconsistencies, and issues with the overall UX now.

A good example of this, would be that the “Move” and “Rotate” options have been swapped. My muscle memory instinctively would click on the bottom option, thinking that’s Move, but it’s no longer the case.

Also, padding is kind of weird; you can see that the “Geometric” button is awkwardly placed right next to the edge of the Move + Rotate section. Not sure if this is a side effect of something, or if that’s just beta growing pains. It still looks really wonky regardless.

Despite what others have said, I don’t actually dislike the centered topbar. The only thing I don’t agree with though, is this awkward empty space above it.

I feel like those icons could just be shifted up as they were before, rather than just making them bigger, and adding that unnecessary claustrophobic spacing. I could definitely get used to it, but having that extra viewport space makes all the difference, especially for laptop screens that genuinely need it. Especially the script editor.

My next issue lies at the Tool Tips that appear when going over icons; For some reason, even when you don’t place your cursor on one, a random Tool Tip will suddenly become visible for no reason at all, and appear to be laggy when being removed, or shown.

This same laggy experience, also translates to just using the UI as it is. I have zero plugins enabled (cuz at the time it was crashing, and not sure if you already resolved it), but when hovering over icons, it just doesn’t feel as snappy as it once was.

I obviously want Studio to become a greater tool than it already is, but as it stands right now, it feels more like an Alpha than it is a Beta.

I’m also hoping that with this Studio refresh (again), they finally fix the weird lagging issues on specific graphics configurations, and actually get Studio to be registered as a High Performance program so it stops being limited to like ~40 for me. It doesn’t seem to just be me who is experiencing that particular issue, either.

(p.s), it appears the Tool Tips render on top of other Windows

1 Like

My complaint is the initial team collab players’ icons weren’t added as part of the ui change, but other than that, it looks really nice and modern! (But can we align the buttons below tabs to center?)

Maybe we will see Roblox Studio out on M1+ iPads in the future…? :thinking:

Will there be new documentation for where all of the UI stuff is located on this new UI? Noticed the “Game Settings” button is no longer on the main tab & you now have to go to “File > Game Settings”, if there are other buttons that have been moved around, it’d be really nice to have it documented somewhere so we don’t get confused or lost.

2 Likes

Why does it look like it’s made for mobile, when Studio itself is not available on mobile? Do you guys have plans to port it to that at some point or something?

Otherwise I don’t think I can really say much as I’m in that crazy camp of actually liking the 2012-ish versions of Studio more than what we currently have. Wish that was still an option, its removal contributed a fair bit to me going inactive for a few years back then.

3 Likes

Whenever I try going into a game with this enabled, my studio crashes before I can see anything.

7d5hldfphur5vuzf9l (1)

(i am not pressing anything here, it just crashes)

2 Likes

You’re on to something, I always hated how Roblox Studio’s top bar looked horrible because I was always in dark mode yet the top bar never changed colour.

2 Likes

I love this, I will have usability feedback and first impressions later. Super happy to see this UI refresh finally happening. The old windowing system has been severely getting on my nerves lately with windows moving around or outright closing (possibly caused by the release of this beta but I don’t care).

1 Like

How do I disable the new UI? I’m on mac and there’s no options at the topbar to go to beta features or anything.

Edit: Nevermind, just found out that they made it with the built-in screen topbar.

You can do this with canvasgroup already.

I think what he meant was an Instance similar to a “Frame” that blurs 3d space, if not 2d space as well if the ZIndex is behind everything else, although this is really performance heavy demonstrated by BeamNG which has horrible UI responsiveness and it’s all to do with how poorly it’s managed using blur and such.

For my post to not get taken down, I will say that the Next Gen Studio UI is the right step for us.

1 Like

Thank god. Studio’s UI has always been horrible to look at. Everything looks fresh.

I hope UX was a big factor here.

Am I able to delist things that I don’t care about?

Am I able to bend studio to my will?

If I tell it to bake a cake for me, can it be done?

2 Likes

Why the massive change to the layout. A lot of people have muscle memory on current studio and this just throws all that to the gutter and hurts productivity. And it doesnt look like its so good it benefits anyways after re-learning the layout.

Keeping the visual change but keeping the old layout, especially with the buttons pushed to the left instead of center would be preferable.

3 Likes