Notice about RDC 2020

They have to make it public. The whole reason they host developer conferences is to share some new features coming soon to the platform and etc.

If they don’t make it public, ROBLOX is basically asking for hate.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s going to be for everyone now pretty much.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a damn shame. RDC is one of the best times of the year for me, and it was basically the one thing that wasn’t cancelled yet. :confused:

I’m curious to find out what will differentiate “digital RDC” from any other RDC where they livestream/upload the talks/keynotes. Here’s hoping it’s good.

10 Likes

It’s really unfortunate, what with this pandemic going on and a lot of things being rolled back as a result, but the decision is understandable, respectable and the correct way to go. It’s great to know that RDC will happen, even if it’s not in a physical environment.

It would be interesting to know if the GameJam is going to become a Roblox-wide event. It is one of the most critical and renown parts of RDC besides the talks. For a change, now that RDC’s going digital, it would be interesting to see how the community altogether, instead of just attendees, can come together to wrack up an interesting game in just a short amount of time.

Thanks for the communication.

8 Likes

Ah, alright. So, will the event still be for the attendees?..

3 Likes

Although it’s saddening that we won’t have our RDC in San Francisco, I’m glad they chose to play it safe. Perhaps this will make the next RDC even more exciting!

6 Likes

If RDC 2020 is going to be digital and those who bought tickets are getting refund. Will everyone have access to watch this years RDC at home? Otherwise I hope for the best in the coming days. Be safe everyone!

4 Likes

Very unfortunate, as this event did help many developers find new talent and other people to work with, but in retrospect it had to be done.

Just a question though, in terms of how the virtual RDC will be hosted, what is that going to necessarily look like in the aspect of if it’s going to be inside of a Roblox game, and will it still be invite only then?

3 Likes

Since this is going to be a digital event, more players should be able to attend because of the unlimited amount of servers for a game.
If the event is going to be public, maybe for those who had an invite to RDC would get access to VIP rooms and get to participate in some exclusive events?

4 Likes

I’m really happy ROBLOX told us this at the right time.

It’s a shame that we won’t be able to see our fellow developers this year. I was really looking forward for this event but we have to understand that ROBLOX is thinking about our health so I really appreciate that.

4 Likes

It is kinda a shame but at the same time it is the right thing to do. I never was invited to RDC this year but I don’t have to stress about applications and stuff. So I will try and shape up for the rest of the year to be invited to RDC 2021.

2 Likes

Hopefully RDC 2021 can be held earlier in the year, depending on if the COVID-19 pandemic gets better by then?

5 Likes

Even though it is very unfortunate to not have RDC at San Francisco, it’s still a good and safe choice to have it online. I think it’s good to do something new for a change, and hopefully it won’t stop excitement for RDC!

My only concern is will Game Jam be cancelled because of this? Or is it gonna be handled in a different fashion?

6 Likes

If people want this, I will definitely make this happen!! Bloxton x RDC

8 Likes

Man if it actually happens that’d be pretty cool. I just made this thread:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/lets-make-a-community-rdc-game/497641

4 Likes

It is good that health was put as a number one priority and even though it is rather sad to hear about this, I am quite interested in how this virtual replacement will turn out.

3 Likes

i’m a bit disappointed, but it was a good choice to make. safety first!

1 Like

I was holding off on registering for this reason. Glad y’all decided to make the right decision. Speaking of registering, will we still need to register to attend digital RDC?

4 Likes

Is RDC 2020 going to still be recorded online even though it is online? Just a question because I do not know if people who have not applied or didn’t get invited will be able to attend the online event.

1 Like

They also used to be at the Makerfaire I think it was, it was in NYC. When I attended it was very popular.

1 Like