Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

Too bad. There are genuine reasons as to why this is a limitation. Just don’t give away in-game items as a bonus and find something else to give.

8 Likes

I agree that this kinda sucks but I can see where they’re coming from with this. It’s been like that for years tho so are we really losing out on the fact that they just made it more clearer?

1 Like

I’m glad to see Roblox is doing something with player safety in a way. Many players who feel that getting a certain product or goal by purchasing something off-site are putting themselves at risk just to “win” the game or be the “best” at the game. This idea of purchasing something to get something off-site just gives me an eerie feeling and it’s immoral. It breaks that bond between the player and developer.

1 Like

It sounds like that would be prohibited under the new clarification to the rule because of the following:

• Discord is a third-party service

• Boosting a server requires a monetary transaction to take place

• Offering in-game perks as a result of an off-site monetary transaction would likely be considered selling an “exclusive feature, or other in-experience enhancements” through a third-party platform.

However, since I’m not Roblox staff, don’t take my word as the final say for this matter. My response is based on my current interpretation of the rule.

5 Likes

Tbh one way I could see this not affect boosting is the fact that the devs don’t profit off of this. Discord is the one taking the money from it. Idk and I think it’d be best for Roblox to clarify that one for us.

@BoxBloxes you’re allowed to have plushies and toys, you’re just not allowed to link them with in-game rewards.

4 Likes

Yeah, sure, let’s just make Roblox the only code seller in town and force our hand into the star creator program.

You do realize that codes bring an insane amount of leverage in regards to sales? Devex isn’t increasing anytime soon; regardless as a creator it should be allowed, because it’s them that chooses what gets produced. Not us.

So if they don’t have a liking to our content’s aesthetics or just decide not to produce it for whatever reason; we will have severely disadvantaged selling power.

find something else to give

That’s like saying “go sell jet engines for a living instead of bread”. Some assets just work way better for mass adoption, while others just don’t sell as well. That’s a lot of missed revenue.

1 Like

You do realise that under the previous Terms of Service, bundling in-game redeemables with merch or other purchases was still not allowed, right? This isn’t a change of stance.

The reason why the Pet Simulator NFTs were controversial specifically with respect to the Terms of Service was not that they were NFTs, but that they were off-platform transactions that awarded you on-platform items. That kind of thing has always been against Terms of Service. If you don’t like it, don’t advocate for this to be dropped - instead, advocate for further amendments.

Specifically, I would like to point out this has no implication on your rights to create merch of your intellectual property. Of course you can do that! If you couldn’t, that would be a ludicrous overreach on Roblox’s end. Anyone telling you something to that effect either does not know what they’re talking about, or is trying to sell you on something. Roblox does not force you to give up any intellectual property rights - it just asks that you don’t start selling stuff on Roblox which is paid for outside of Roblox. If it never touches the Roblox platform (e.g. using real-world money to buy a real-world plushie) then you’re absolutely fine.

22 Likes

You do realise that under the previous Terms of Service, bundling in-game redeemables with merch or other purchases was still not allowed, right? This isn’t a change of stance.

Nonetheless, if so, it should still be looked into.

advocate for further amendments.

Definitely

1 Like

The environmental footprint of an average NFT is estimated to be the equivalent of the monthly footprint of someone living in the EU. Everything may be environmentally unfriendly, but NFT’s sure are remarkably more so than the computer I’m writing this on.

So basically its in your terms that you cant give in-game perks for buying an item off-platform but you wont take action if it happens?

1 Like

What’s the different between a code in a plushie and a toy that comes with an NFT though… They’re both merchandise are you can get scammed with both.

I would like to think that merchandise should be allowed for certain games that ROBLOX acknowledges (like Adopt Me for example). Not NFTs of course, but things like plushies and such that I would think to be fine perhaps should be. Probably not with codes for in-game perks though, as that’s something that should probably only be allowed through official ROBLOX merchandise like toys.

Yeah that’s already possible. You can already make your own amazon store and sell merchandise there. The thing about buying merchandise with in-game perks… Isn’t Roblox already doing this with their gift cards and toys? I don’t see why developers wouldn’t be able to do the same.

As far as NFTs go. I’m more on the side of associating in-game assets with Crypto currency as a sort of investment option. Like imagine just playing the game and some how you can actually earn by playing. It’s a really tough topic to be honest. But for Crypto, mining can simply be playing the game. This doesn’t mean you use your CPU to mine for bitcoin or something. It just means that by playing the game, it’s considered participating in the creation of a Crypto something that’s called “Mining” in the Crypto-universe.

I haven’t checked Roblox’s TOS yet, and have no intentions on implementing something like this in the near foreseeable future. I do think it would be a cool idea. I can definitely see why NFT’s wouldn’t be something widely accepted. However I do think NFTs have their own place along-side crypto.

Crypto just complicates everything. So I hope Roblox is able to implement some regulations that doesn’t completely ban blockchains and NFTs.

1 Like

You actually can sell your own merch. Roblox actually supports this by allowing you to make your own Amazon shop. If you provide Roblox with your UGC as part of the stars program then Roblox to prevent a conflict of interest you wouldn’t be able to utilize that UGC in the way that it has been contracted for.

However in return Roblox may legally go after anyone who infringes on that copyright on your behalf. So that’s a good thing IMO. This means if your UGC is being used as a movie you aren’t allowed to offer a movie IP to anyone else for that UGC. You can still sell your own merch though.

The biggest difference between selling your own merch and the stars program is that you cannot in any way make your merch appear associated with the Roblox brand.

NFTs aren’t completely banned. You just can’t give in-game perks with them.

Yeah I’m aware, but this incident could cause Roblox to completely Barr NFTs and Blockchains. Also NFT’s being bought could be argued it’s not directly connected to in-game assets. Such as buying a Roblox Giftcard and getting a in-game code to redeem an exclusive asset.

You bought a giftcard, the asset was free.

Unlike buying a giftcard, Roblox themselves are not producing the product. Roblox doesn’t allow bonus codes because it could easily be a scam.

How? If the NFTs have no relation to in-game Roblox items it’s not like they’re going to ban you for making one.

In this case, it’s the bonus codes I’m referring to. Less of the NFT itself. Kind of like when Roblox had that tablet asset you could purchase in the catalogue. But then you got an actual tablet if you bought it. Like that.

But like you said it’s not like you can be banned from making NFTs.

Roblox gets a cut so that’s okay, roblox does not get a cut on developer off platform purchases so therefore you are not allowed to include items that can be used on the platform/in specific games.

Roblox does not get a cut of your amazon store. So I’m not understanding your point considering the amazon store is an off-platform purchase.