Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

I’m pretty sure giving (whether as a bonus or as a direct purchase) away in-game items for off-platform transactions is against ToS.

1 Like

Right, but I don’t think the plushy thing was that big of a deal due to it… well, not being an NFT being sold for 150,000 dollars for in-game perks. I’d like to think that merch is on another level because it’s physical and has value as opposed to NFTs in my opinion, but as for the reason as to why they weren’t reprehended back then, it was probably because it wasn’t considered bad at the time.

If selling merch with codes for in-game perks is in the same field as selling NFTs for the same thing, then ROBLOX should probably consider that as well.

Direct Purchase is against ToS, but as a bonus, I was not really sure.

But I will agree that will be mostly against ToS.

I’d say unless Roblox makes some statement that bonuses for off-platform purchases are fine, I wouldn’t risk it. The quote from the ToS is a bit vague and all-encompassing and I’m sure that’s for a reason.

1 Like

Im not risking it and not planning to, i will says, Codes for in-game perks should be always given out like giveaways, special events or anyway that is not based to buy anything.

I do wish tho roblox be more direct on this.

1 Like

That’s an interesting point to be brought up, but then again, couldn’t an NFT be considered merchandise?

2 Likes

I think that’s something that’s up in the air, but usually when people think of merchandise they think of physical items like clothing, accessories, etc. NFTs aren’t physical, they’re digital.

But non-physical merchandise? like steam games? or steam items? programs, Robux even, are they not a Digital Merchandise?

You can own a program digitaly.

1 Like

thank goodness roblox finally addressed this

they really thought promoting nfts to a demographic comprised mostly of children was a good idea? im sure those nfts were bought by older people but geez, thats such a bad idea
imagine kids (that could have considerably bad money management) getting into nfts. id feel so bad for them (and there’d most likely be angry parents as well)

1 Like

True, but the more formal definition is way more all-encompassing and is probably more important than the more colloquial one.

Personally, I think it’s better if Roblox just doesn’t get involved with in-game items for off-platform purchases. Not only is it a kind of dangerous endeavor for Roblox (what happens if people just stop selling things on-platform to avoid the taxes) it’s also murky waters when it comes to scams and such.

1 Like

I’ve never heard someone consider digital things “digital merchandise” before, so I don’t really know. However, like I said, that’s probably something that’s up in the air.

All I can really say is that this whole subject is really confusing, and I hope ROBLOX gives more clarity in the future so people don’t pull a BIG Games situation.

1 Like

I think it’s the morality behind the transaction. NFTs only have value because we decide that they do. They’re effectively digital art. The thing is, the enormous amount of power required to process transactions (required so the whole blockchain system doesn’t come crashing down) means that we’re expediting damage to the environment.

Businesses should think about the ethical and moral implications of their actions, just because other companies can do something, doesn’t mean Roblox should sit by and let it happen. At the end of the day, Roblox games, and more specifically Pet Simulator X are targeted to young children, whom do not have the experience or comprehension to understand something like crypto, let alone NFTs–something that the majority of people have no idea how it works.

Because of Pet Simulator X’s age demographic, they shouldn’t be offering NFTs for tens of thousands of dollars (yes they can’t necessarily control the price, but the sheer popularity will drive the price up, so to some extent, they can get rough estimates).

Maybe games companies whose age demographics are young adults, it wouldn’t necessarily be such a huge issue.

Will NFTs be viable in the future? I’m not sure viable is really the correct word here. They don’t serve a purpose, they’re not like cryptocurrencies or blockchain technology. They are simply ways of pouring money into things that don’t actually have any tangible value.

Should we welcome NFTs? Well, I think it’s important to understand what they are and how they work. Like art in real life, they don’t have any value besides the perceived value that we give them. They don’t have any use, they can be copied quite easily, yet their value simply comes from the act, amongst other things. - It’s quite similar to the “Taped Banana” situation.

(This Banana Was Duct-Taped to a Wall. It Sold for $120,000. | GQ)

Essentially, someone taped a banana to a wall as a joke and because of the absurdity and popularity of the situation, it was given perceived value. Someone actually came up to it, tore the banana off the wall and ate it, and all they did was replace the banana; it still kept it’s value.

NFTs are essentially just the digital version of this. I think it’ll die out soon simply because of the lack of usability. You have a $100,000 NFT? So what? I think the overwhelming popularity and hype around NFTs are just because people have heard that some people have made lots of money and they want a piece of the pie.

I’m all for developers finding new ways to monetize their creations and produce hype in their community, but it should be done correctly and with ethics in mind. I’m sure we can all agree that the marketing strategies employed by triple A companies such as EA are unethical to say the least. I don’t see why this is any different.

If Big Games sold drugs or weapons themed to Pet Simulator X, it would be a whole different story. It’s just because it’s cryptocurrency that we are suddenly questioning the morals behind it. (I know this is an extreme example but I think it shows that just because one company/person can do something and it be perfectly fine, doesn’t mean it is the case for another company/person).

5 Likes

Merchandising is any practice which contributes to the sale of products to a retail consumer. At a retail in-store level, merchandising refers to displaying products that are for sale in a creative way that entices customers to purchase more items or products. - Wikipedia

2 Likes

i think this is definitely one of the major reasons why people get into nft
if you’re on twitter, you might come across those people with weird (and pretty ugly) nft avatars in their own little circle or acting arrogant to people against nfts. people just want to get rich quick and flex that wealth
and with the desire to become rich, people start exploiting the way nfts are made. people steal art and trace art without permission and sell them as nfts (some even as collections). and i think this is shows that nfts are something people should stay far, far away from.

money gets in peoples heads real fast

7 Likes

And now just good for taking action for Pet Simulator X NFT mess. They could believe that over issues 100 thousand players shut down. For what happened highly thought profitable the game is. But I along with many others doubted that they’d even care about this so who knows what’s going to happen. But they noticed there towards just they shouldn’t do NFT’s actually did wondering would transactions, and most of all they due to game with 100,000+ concurrent players being shut down.

And recently for such as Pet sims toy codes they not exits for a scams such as trading well they ads of players only they wasn’t recognized did even they lost revenue perspective. They hopefully that noticed has Pet Sims X will be “resolved” soon for what happened to situation.

1 Like

There is a reason why rules MUST be followed, especially on Roblox. Doing NFT’s off of Roblox is just simply wrong. No need to be doing such a ridiculous action. I hope something will get done out of this.

1 Like

Good job Roblox! Personally, I believe anything dealing with cryptocurrency should not be mixed with kids.

Wonder how you guys are going to take action… Best of luck!

1 Like

How does a cosmetic give any advantage? It’s as it is, a cosmetic to simply look cooler. There is no pay-to-win advantage that puts them ahead others.

That’s great to hear! Hope to see this problem involving NFts and such get resolved soon!

This statement is too vague as it stands. While it is good you are taking notice finally, this is something that should not be just swept under the rug with some private communications between upper staff and high earning developer(s). Take action against this, and give repercussions fairly and equally. This is going to be a situation that has long lasting ramifications & implications than span far beyond this specific instance. I look forward to a better response to the situation. Thank you & cheers.

3 Likes