Painting With A Custom Material

How can I paint (using the terrain editor) with my own custom texture? A good example is TWW as shown in the ss below

3 Likes

You can’t use custom material for a terrain, if you need recolor it, you can go to Terrain properties in workspace.

2 Likes

Is that how TWW did it? Also when I am uploading a texture, which files do I put where?

Like what si DX and GL?

1 Like

@HafuPlay That isnt really true… You can paint custom textures by editing your materials. Check out a material service tutorial

Most of the newer games being made utilize this amazing feature, All you have to do is set your created variants material to the material you want to replace, then inside the material service properties select the variant.

I guess technically you arent just using a custom material, you are replacing an existing one but the difference to players doesnt matter. I used 5 different snow materials in one of my demo games (replacing grass and stuff) so I could get much nicer effects around certain things (ex bloody snow mat, footprints mat, etc)

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing things up! Could you possibly link a video that explains this in more depth?

1 Like

These two are really good official resources for learning terrain, materials and their tools

The second one imo is a little better

2 Likes

Just to clarify, there is a limited amount of custom textures I can paint with

2 Likes

yes

Charscharscharscharscharschars

2 Likes