ParticleEmitter fade out does not respect ZOffset

Reproduction Steps

1. Create a ParticleEmitter and insert it into a Part
  2. Make the particle size large (i.e. 20)
  3. Change the ZOffset value between 0 - 25 and observe

Expected Behavior
Particles with a ZOffset are intended to hide what is behind that ZOffset.

Actual Behavior
The fade out does not respect ZOffset and so particles do not hide objects which are directly in the middle of the particle.
This makes smoke grenade implementations unperformant, requiring many more smoke particles than otherwise necessary.

Workaround
No, it is currently impossible to make good smoke grenade effects on the Roblox engine with visibility as an important gameplay mechanic.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

5 Likes

It’s one of the issues they haven’t addressed for few months :frowning:
If it’s not the same issue, then really close one.

2 Likes

I’ve bumped this to the top of my priority list.

7 Likes

For now, you shouldn’t use such a huge number for ZOffset.
That’s what i think tho

1 Like

It would be so good if you guys fix this, its really messing with my hit effect and what not.

2 Likes

Strangely, I thought this was intended behavior. I’ve been having the issue for months and I thought it might have just been an issue with the particle limit bug from late last year, but I guess it isn’t intentional at all.

Hope to see this fixed soon, it’s really been bothering me.

1 Like

still hasn’t been fixed sadly, hoping its fixed soon…

Can we please get a fix for this soon? It’s been months and it’s still happening. Very frustrating.

Seriously, this has been a problem since November and it’s starting to get really annoying. Can SOMEBODY do something about this?

1 Like

@JaapSuter Bro is this coming at all?

I’m hoping to get someone’s attention on this again

1 Like

This has been a problem for almost 8 months now and its also messing with my particles in various ways. Can we please get a fix soon?

We discovered a regression affecting some mobile devices during roll out of the proposed soft particle fixes and it takes some time to provide a safe update whilst ensuring low likelihood of knock-on issues of increased shader configurations. Be assured this work is in progress with an estimate of 2 more weeks for this to be applied safely. Thanks for your continued patience on these improvements and reporting of issues found, we will notify when the revised fix is enabled. Further particle improvements presently in beta are following similarly for production release in the coming weeks.

5 Likes

Hewo Mr, ProfessorKJM i wish to could know if there’s new news about this argument also i have a question to ask:

[Q]: Are you guys still working on it, also how it will take to fix that?

That’s all also,
Sowwy for the inconvenience~

1 Like

Sorry to bump this, but is there any update on fixing the Z-Offset behavior?

It’s been almost a year and this is still a problem, and it’s pretty frustrating because some particles I have float right above the ground but they’re barely visible due to this unintended behavior.

1 Like

It seems like ZOffset is finally fixed. The particles don’t clip irregularly anymore.

1 Like

OH MY GOD FINALLY

Thank you for telling me!!

1 Like

A revised fix has been enabled for devices and particle orientations that can be supported (i.e. most devices and screen-aligned ‘billboard’ particles).

Please let us know if there’s still unexpected behavior or if you have any additional feedback.

5 Likes

This is what we waited for and needed, thank you very much for this fix!

1 Like