Inconsistent ZOffset for ParticleEmitters

Reproduction Steps
System information:
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Reproduction file:
It’s just an example particle which doesn’t use the assets I have included in GIFs (since they’re for my project).
ZOffset.rbxm (5.4 KB)

Expected Behavior
It looks like ZOffset for particles aren’t consistent with my earlier work.
I suspect it might be because of the implementation of new properties responsible for shape.
When I change ZOffset to be higher value (than 0.05, which I use) - It doesn’t have any effect.
It’s worth noting I use attachments.

GIF I have recorded earlier (2021-09-06)

Actual Behavior
GIF I have recorded today (2021-11-01)
It’s worth noting that the beam seems to be fine.
2021-11-01_11-21-09

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-11-01

23 Likes

I’ve also noticed this and it is quite annoying to work around.

It seems to mostly happen on mesh parts, but I’m not 100% certain that it is only for them.
No matter how high I set the ZOffset some parts of the mesh poke through and I can’t get complete coverage like you would expect to be able to.

ZOffset of 0 (Normal behavior):

ZOffset of 2 (Should completely cover the part underneath, but a corner pokes through):

I’m pretty sure this started happening when the new particle emitter properties were added. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

9 Likes

I tested this with SpecialMesh parts. Same effect.
Possibly it’s just the behavior.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

6 Likes

I just noticed that the Graphic Properties above 7 will break the ZOffset. Might be useful.

The issue still exists.

You can easilly notice the properties difference with this plugin.

1 Like

Yeah I’m also having this problem. Its messing up a lot of my particles, which isn’t good since I use particle emitters for a lot of stuff.
The lens flare here gets messed up due to zOffset clipping, even though the zOffset is high enough to where this shouldn’t be happening.

The zOffset on the impact particle is 2, which should be more than enough for it to show through regularly, but it still has this weird clipping bug.

It also affects objects if they’re too close to walls. I have a dripping particle here thats up against the wall.
When facing towards it, you can barely see it. But when looking at it from the side, it looks perfectly fine. And I also have the zOffset cranked up to 4.

As stated beforehand, it only happens if your client graphic level is above 7, or if your studio rendering level is above 15.

2 Likes

As a person working on my own personal project and Anime Fighters’ characters - the particle behavior is unexpected. I hope we get an update on this situation, since it’s been one month.

It’s been 2 months already…

Can we at least have any update on the situation?

3 Likes

@JaapSuter FYI since you commented on some other bug reports with recent particle regressions

Is there any update on the situation? It’s been over 3 months since the problem started, and ZOffset is still broken.

1 Like

I hope ticket hasn’t drowned or something.

I really need this fix, because I can’t work on particles for my game :frowning:

1 Like

Update from another thread:

Now we wait.

From my experience, particles seem fine. Have you tried/looked into attachments possibly? It most likely wouldn’t affect the overall end result, and may look cleaner!

I don’t think it’s attachment related. Like I said, it is affected by quality.
RobloxStudioBeta_2022-02-15_21-11-50

The bug is still apparent, regardless of if you use an attachment or not.

So, uhhh. It’s been over 150 days already.
Last time a staff member mentioned this problem was Feb 14 - saying this is on top of their priority list…

I wish there was a tracker, so the tickets were more transparent to users.

2 Likes

I’ve been noticing strange ZOffset behavior too lately. It’s frustrating that particles haven’t been appearing as intended.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed this behavior for quite a while now, and I think it comes from the fact that soft shading does not respect zoffset.

When your graphics quality is high, when particles clip into objects, the game will apply a transparency gradient, so that it blends smoothly into the part, rather than a hard edge. normally, when you want a particle to overlay the part, but still want to attach it on the part’s surface, you just set the zoffset so that the particle renders on top of the part. currently, however, it seems the soft shading ignores the zoffset.

I’ve been working around this by having clients manually move particles a few units toward the camera so that the soft shading doesn’t make them invisible, but yeah.

2 Likes

I still wonder why this hasn’t been fixed. Wouldn’t it be possible to render the thing similarly to your hack?

1 Like