Particles in Viewport Frames

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to show particles in viewport frames. If Roblox added this, plenty of developers would be able to add unique effects in GUI’s. I myself would like to have confetti fall from the top of the screen and this would be a perfect way of going about doing this. Thank you!

73 Likes

That’d be a cool feature I’d use. Especially for local snow and rain that interacts with the environment but turns off when inside.

3 Likes

Yeah I was going to say weather would help a lot too!

1 Like

This is the only other feature I can see that would make ViewportFrame usage a lot more widespread. Inventories are typically not able to use ViewportFrames because cool weapons/items with particles cannot be shown properly. Thumbnail images that are created that show the particles on the weapon/item are typically lower quality than they would be with ViewportFrames because particles have to be manually edited into the thumbnail of the item - green screens do not usually work well, depending on the particle. This is a bottleneck for a lot of developers that don’t have the resources or money to hire someone to create thumbnails for their game.

16 Likes

This is my main use-case for needing a feature like this. In my shop, I sell particle-effects (and weapons) that players can equip. I want players to be able to preview the items properly in the shop UI before buying them. Right now I’m stuck with the green-screen method, which is less than ideal because that’s 2x more image assets the client has to load and store in memory.

5 Likes

Sorry about bumping this feature request over a year later, but it’d be absolutely useful for me right about now. I understand giving ViewportFrames that ability will be more of a burden to computers, but I’d be happy if the particle effects just barely rendered, so long as they showed up.

I’m also making a shop with particle effects for my game, and my current alternative is having an in-game display go through particle effects stored in a folder. Although it’s proven to be pretty easy to make, I find it inconvenient, and I imagine showing them with ViewportFrames would be a better method.

4 Likes