Party Chat notifications are not being marked as read

Reading messages from Roblox’s party chat system will not register completely. This occurs specifically not responding to an individual after they have sent a message. The expected behavior is for the Party Chat system to register it as read. However, the text typography would remain in a bold font. The table title (2) Home - Roblox is expected to change into (1) Home - Roblox. However, this is not the case.

Other users have reported a similar issue to this, but none of them express the tab title changing as unread or go into much detail.

Chat says there's a new message but there isn't
Phantom site chat notification

The current browser that I am using is Firefox v76.

This bug has occurred every single time that party chat system is enabled. Disabling the party chat system in privacy settings are the only way to get around this bug. This bug has been occurring for roughly about 2 years now.

This image encapsulates how even though I have read the chat, on the right side, it still registers as if I had not read the conversation. The only way to bypass that is to chat again, which isn’t something that I would want to do to have a message marked as read.

This next image expresses how the tab title is altered in favor for the party chat system with 2 unread messages. However, the only unread message has been read. It’s unclear why there’s another message unread. Alongside with that, there’s another message stating it’s been unread, but the last person who left a message was myself. This is expressed in the image below.

My only workaround was to manually chat to an individual, but that does not stop all of the notifications from still being expressed in the tab title. Switching to a different browser such as Google Chrome or Opera is not a viable option for me.

16 Likes

This has been a long-standing bug and I honestly have no idea why they haven’t fixed this already. I have been able to fix this bug multiple times by clicking on the chat that is bugged, then just spam click (LMB) inside the chat, and that just seems to fix it apparently.

If this is what I think you’re talking about, the easiest way to stop it is to minimise the chat and then maximise again. I use Google Chrome, though. Anyway, please tell me if the post is about another issue.

Months later and I’m also having this issue. Except now, I get chat “notifications” whenever I add a new friend, and I can’t figure out how to get rid of them. This problem is really annoying.
ChatNotif1
ChatNotif2

As you can see, I have no new messages, but I’m getting notifications for the chat bubble with new friends just…existing. (The new friends are MRface142, two_islands, and firetreat21. I have no idea why I’m getting a notification from rainbowfactory15 when I’ve had her as a friend for a long time)

1 Like

Also have the issue now.
When I clicked on some friends that havent even played roblox in 10 or so years it caused them to shoot up in the chat list and add another unread notification that cannot be removed.
notifications .
In the worst case it would be nice to have a “set all notifications as read” button as a workaround for this.

3 Likes

BTRoblox now has a “Fix invis messages” button under WIP/Other that roughly fixes this issue.

3 Likes