Permissions bug - Group-made animations do not load for Team Create members in Studio

Reproduction Steps

1. On your main account, publish a game to a group that you own, and turn on Team Create.
  2. Upload a custom Animation to that group, and set up a script in your game to play that animation.
  3. In Game Settings > Permissions, give a second account access to edit the game.
  4. Log into the second account, and open the game in Studio using that account.
  5. Test the game in Studio on the second account and attempt to play the custom animation.

The following place file can be used, just replace the AnimationId of Workspace.Animation with the animation that you uploaded to your group.
AnimationBugTest.rbxl (31.4 KB)

Expected Behavior
I expect the animation to load and play correctly when editing the game from the second account.

Actual Behavior
The animation does not load when using the second account to test the game in Studio. Animations will only load in Studio for the owner of the group, not anyone else.

In this case, animations can only be tested by publishing the game and joining a live server via the website. The inability to load animations in Studio is a major hindrance to other members of our Team Create.

The only way to fix this is by granting the “Create and edit group experiences” group permission to the desired accounts, which will allow them to load the group’s animations in Studio, but this is not a suitable workaround when you only want to give people edit permissions on specific games, not every game in the group. Since animations load properly when playing the published version of the game, they should load in Studio as well.

Below is a video of me testing a game on an alternate account and trying to play a group-made animation. The animation cannot be loaded at first, but after I give that account the “Create and edit group experiences” permission in the group, the animation does load.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-01 00:05:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-07-08 14:07:00 (-04:00)

17 Likes

This severely affects my team’s workflow.

This makes professional development with contractors extremely difficult and makes managing permissions separately impossible. This is something that needs to be addressed.

6 Likes

Thanks for the report! Are you still encountering the issue ?

4 Likes

Yes, this issue is still occurring.

6 Likes

We filed a ticket to our internal database and we will investigate the issue further. Sorry for the delay!

3 Likes

any update on this? seems like its still a problem for me

1 Like

Same here, its been a bug in my group for nearly a year now, and still its not fixed

Still an issue, any update on this? In my experience, this also applies to groups which are newly created…

2 Likes

Is this intended behavior? Or is it still being worked on?

Bump! this is still a huge issue, and makes collaboration extremely tough. The only way for me to let our VFX artists work on assets while seeing the animations they play with, is to give them edit access to every game in our group, which includes the full released game! It’s completely unsustainable as it is now. cc. @gigagiele

1 Like

This is just crazy they didn’t fix it yet. We just need one simple thing, load the animations for team create members without giving them “Create and edit group experiences” permission, because this is literally hilarious how absurd it looks.

However, I believe it was working few months ago, someone must’ve reverted the code or something.

2 Likes

What is the status of this problem is anything being done to fix the issue?

Hi all, thank you for your patience. We’ve released a fix! Please let us know if you are still seeing issues.

This is currently still an issue. Users added to a specific place’s team create cannot view animations in play test.

1 Like

We had to roll back the change as it was causing another issue. The team is looking into another way to fix this.

Hi
Any update on this? Animations don’t even seem to work if the group owner gives me full role permissions. Works outside of studio.
EDIT: works with the ‘create and edit group experiences’ permission, but not ideal.

Bumping this, this issue is still going on. To be specific, we are given collaboration edit access to a specific place under a group. We get an error that says "Failed to load Animation - Sanitized Id: rbxassetid://animId" whenever we play test in-studio, this doesn’t happen to the others who have complete studio access under the group. The animations work whenever we play in actual Roblox servers (outside of Studio play test). This is a huge issue for people looking to work alongside game developers without having complete studio access to x game.

I request a feature that gives a specific person studio access to a specific place under x group/game-owner, so that they don’t have studio access to every game created by the group/game-owner.

3 Likes

I am currently developing a game (group game) and have encountered this exact issue with loading an animation. The error message says, ‘Failed to load animation - sanitized ID.’ I am the group owner, and I have Team Create enabled for collaboration. The animation is loaded using the AnimatorController.

I went in roblox studio it gave me that error and the animation didn’t work. This problem persists even when testing the game on Roblox outside of Studio’s playtest mode. Do you know any fix?

1 Like

You have to upload the animations under the game’s group, if it fails to load an animation by saying the ID is sanitized, it usually means the game thinks you don’t own the animation.

This thread is made specifically for people given collaboration access to a experience under a group who are having this issue with animations not loading because of permission issues. Being given collaboration access to a experience technically means giving studio access to this specific experience under the group, yet we cannot publish assets under x group… this makes it a hassle asking people who have complete studio access to upload these assets for us (sounds & animations), and funnily enough, the experience is created specifically for us (users who have collaboration access) to publish assets in said experience without having studio access to every experience under x group.

I have uploaded it under the groups name but the problem still persists when testing the game on Roblox outside of Studio’s playtest mode.

1 Like