Pipe Dash (RACING MODE) is looking for feedback!

That’s unfortunate. I wish I’d have a console, so I could test and improve on these things. I have a plan to add more settings to the private servers, so players could disable parts of the game to improve performance.

What console are you using?

Xbox one s

If you want i could tell you the things that could be fixed for console

Of course I do, that’s what this thread is for! I test the game with controller, but I don’t play much with it.

I wonder if it’s still freezing as badly after today. I made a significant changes on how the tracks are reloaded and there should be much less “surprise” lag spikes now.

Of course, the game still might be lagging elsewhere :slight_smile:

Alright, I’ll let you know if i find any bugs for console
Right now it’s the freezing and navigation like clicking on things using a controller it would be easier if you turned on the cursor!

We’ll see I’ll play your game soon

there’s little less lag but i don’t think you’ll be able to fully fix it, it might be a roblox performance problem

Doesn’t hurt to try!

In the latest update I also…

• Added an option to disable track trails
  • Added an option to hide other players in tracks
  • Optimized the amount of tracks that get moveable objects activated

Potentially, these could improve the performance a little bit more. Especially in the easy track zone, which before could have 4 tracks “active” and now it should be 1.

Now regarding cursor on consoles, I was hoping Roblox has that built-in, but sadly - not the case. I might add it in the future, but first I have to figure out how to get the game off the ground. And that will take a while.

Oh okay! That might stop the lag. I tried to see but it says your game doesn’t support Xbox anymore lol

Now that, I think, is Roblox bug. Had these reports multiple times. never touched access settings. Weird and frustrating. I could use the players and console players spend most time in the game, for some reason :slight_smile:

Yea i was able to play today and when in a pipe it was almost smooth barely any freezing/lag, also i turned off show other players but i still seen them and on the shop i can’t go passed the 3rd section off skateboards btw

1 Like

Players should only be hidden when they are riding in the tracks, they will still be visible while riding around the map (or if they jump over the start plate to freeride in the pipe).

If that’s an interface bug (scrolling on gamepad?) I will check it out!

I have a few ideas for your game, it seems pretty fun so far but I do notice a few things which I feel like could be improved.

• The pipes feel a little small, it feels like the camera doesn’t have a lot of room to move and the screen is sometimes cluttered with lots of objects.

• Object hitboxes feel a bit too large or like they’re bigger than the object itself, it sometimes feels like I could die if a single hair of my body brushed past a spike.

Instead of using the player’s character as a hitbox maybe give them a cylinder or ball-shaped hitbox to ensure consistency between different character body types as well.

• I think it would be very neat to be able to toggle the camera so it rotated/rolls along with the player so you always see the world from an up-right perspective.

• Having levels where you can jump would be super cool. Maybe if the pipes were larger they could have booster / jump pads inside them.

• I don’t know if you’re doing this already but if you want to make sure a level is possible, let players complete their own level first to verify it’s winnable.

1 Like

Oh alright i thought it was broken lol

Yea

(Sorry for late reply)

Movement feels good, UI looks good (Though I sometimes had a bug with the UI constantly flashing). Sounds are way too quiet compared to music, can’t properly hear the board unless you’re turning.

Overall I think what your game is lacking the most though is a sense of momentum. I get that it’s way too late to make any changes to this, but if you’re ever thinking about making a spinoff game or adding an extra mode, you should consider making some sort of downhill pipe racer. It could make a map out of user generated sections, include some checkpoints, have some speed boosts, etc. And it should probably have a bigger pipe too.

Your game is good but heavily skill based, all about personal mastery, and has little to no RNG. Some people definitely like that, but the broad appeal is just never as big.

1 Like

Funny you say that, because downhill pipe racer was my initial vision for this project. I just started making track editor for myself (not a fan of fully procedural track generation, they’ll never be as fun) and pivoted… to whatever this is!

Absolutely true and I’m well aware of that. However, I’m also aware that this game is nowhere near to fully reaching the audience who do like skill based games and/or making levels, so won’t let it go just yet.

I still have a few ideas up my sleeve and lately was thinking about ways I could add a special pipe which would allow some kind of casual racing. It will be out of sync mess, because too much is client-based for higher responsiveness, but might boost playtime. Another idea… is replays! And, like many people mentioned, more dynamic obstacles, like speed boosters, jumppads, teleports…

If never works, well, then it’s going to be time… to make A SIMULATOR GAME :smiley:

Thank you for the feedback! I do agree with some points you made, especially about the camera… I didn’t think about that in advance before choosing pipes as the playable area and now it’s close to unfixable issue. My excuse is years of making 2D-only games where camera was never a concern :smiley:

Already a thing! The real hitbox is a comparatively tiny ball positioned around the same level as the board is. I would have to double check the specific obstacles, because some of them you can almost warp through, but others might need hitbox size adjustment. And all of the obstacles have a smaller hitbox hidden inside of them.

Thought about it and it might be pretty cool way to play!

Already in place and (don’t tell anyone) builder has a bigger hitbox when testing their own levels to assure that other players have better chances of completing it.

This would be very fun, but it would also add some confusion and complexity because of where the current player hitbox is placed. How to deal with obstacles that cover top rather than the bottom…

1 Like

Been quite silent lately both for personal reasons and for getting very very stuck with this sweet new feature I always wanted to add to the game, but didn’t know how complicated it would be. Replay system with a fully functional in-world screen to view those sick runs,

Spinny obstacles are completely out of sync, because that’s gonna take at least few more days to work out.

1 Like

Whoops… My replay system hit mobile performance quite hard. And it is already done in a way that it’s not updating when players are not watching. I expected some drop, but that’s too much.

I think the biggest issue was trying to clone the whole track with all its obstacles instantly before it goes to the viewport. That could’ve caused spikes even if you’re not near replay screen.

The last update is me trying to get the performance back up, but some pesky sharp drop ruined the graph. Hard to get accurate stats with few players. I think it will still remain lower, because some people do like to watch replays and it really is a feature that’s hard on performance. The important part that it wouldn’t affect players riding in the tracks.

How Does the replay system work?
Just curious.

Sure! Not sure which part is the most interesting, but to simplifly… Replay display is ViewportFrame which holds a currently playing clone of the track and a dummy. Since in pipes players move based on custom physics and I was already recreating other runs of other players using their (left/right) inputs, I only needed to record those inputs and send it to replay.

In the end, it was an interesting feature to work on, but an absolute pain in the butt to implement and so far didn’t do anything to the playtime. Only hit performance :smiley:

1 Like