Play in Studio - Plugin

Play in Studio - Creator Marketplace (roblox.com)

I will be upfront, this plugin has a price tag of $4.99.

This plugin allows you to make live edits to your game while using your avatar to get around.
Although it may look like it, this is not test mode! In this video, I’m still in studio edit mode, so my edits will be saved and shown to others as usual.

What’s it like with other developers?

At any moment, you can playtest with your friends anywhere in your game. Or, you can drop in alone and spook the other developers by walking around in front of them. This is also great for testing scale, making sure that jumps are possible, or even have a friend build an obstacle course as you play through it!

You can teleport to your mouse by pressing E.
You can dance by pressing C.

Note: This does not run game code. It’s just a tool for using your avatar as a movement system in studio.

Feel free to make update suggestions!

94 Likes

That’s good that you’re being honest, and actually I feel like you should have the right to charge for this since it’s unique and seems really useful! Great job!

Wonder how long it took to make this :thinking:

Does the dev have the ability to add instances and access the workspace? From the video it don’t seem like it. Maybe add that?

8 Likes

Does the dev have the ability to add instances and access the workspace? From the video it don’t seem like it. Maybe add that?

Yes, it’s like normal studio but your camera is attached to a character. So you still have access to the usual studio tools. I cropped out the properties menu and explorer for demonstration.

7 Likes

I personally think this is awesome, you did a great job with this, and I will personally be buying.
Although, I really would like to see what this looks like from the view of someone editing normally.

4 Likes

Super useful for when trying to scale rooms or other objects instead of dummy rigs. Will consider buying it.

5 Likes

This is so amazing! You should really consider making it cost more, it looks very complicated to make. I will definitely be using this, and recommending it! :+1:

4 Likes

W plugin, works as expected and is fun messing around with, could potentionally also troll around in Team Create if you have any friends

a few suggestions is being able to edit your WalkSpeed in play mode, aswell your jump height
another thing is that you should also be able to zoom fully in

2 Likes

You can actually modify your speed and jump power if you modify your humanoid. You’ll have to modify the one parented to the camera in workspace. And yeah, I should make a first-person camera.

4 Likes

Update

• Added smoothing to camera zooming
  • Added first person camera, suggested by @Expination
  • You can now press C to dance! I would like to add emote support, but I’m not sure where to find them :confused:
  • Fixed a bug where pressing F to zoom to your selection broke the dragger
  • Fixed a bug where character animations weren’t being replicated properly
8 Likes

I might actually buy this, this is something ive been wanting from studio for a while! I dont know how feasible or possible it is to implement but being able to have collisions (and toggle it) would be nice. Nevertheless, great work!

4 Likes

This is a pretty cool plugin however I believe I’ve found a bug with R6 lol. The character’s feet clip into the ground whenever I enter a place with an R6 avatar. This is most likely due to the HipHeight on R6 characters being set to 0 for some reason so just adding 2 instead of the HipHeight should fix it when the character is R6.

3 Likes

Wow this is awesome, this makes building obbies much easier!

1 Like

Fixed it, thanks for the report! It also looks like dances don’t work in R6 unfortunately. I’m searching in the Animate script for the player animations, so I guess I’d have to load them in manually.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! It would have been fantastic if Roblox had incorporated this feature seamlessly, eliminating the need for me to load the place every time I hit the play button.

2 Likes

i actually have a few more ideas,

• player footstep sounds, jump sounds, etc (feels off to just not hear it at all imo)
  • smooth transistion from stepping up a ledge or platform (currently just snaps to the position)
3 Likes

Update

• Added smoothing to moving up and down steps

I’m not sure if I will do sounds, I think it would be disruptive for people who listen to music while working. Maybe.

4 Likes

You can go to Catalog - Roblox, copy the asset ID’s of the emotes, load the asset through InsertService and grab the ID of the animation through the model.

1 Like

Yeah, but where do I get the IDs for a given player’s emotes?

1 Like

AFAIK there’s no consistent way to get the users owned emotes (for example if the user has their inventory hidden), but you could use AvatarEditorService to search the catalog for emotes to play.

1 Like

This looks an incredible plugin! Im surely gonna buy it. Also, i was curious about something… How can you play/load animation while being in studio and not in test-mode? And did you have to script a whole camera and character system?

1 Like