Player Invite Prompts [Update]

Hey Developers,

ICYMI - We wanted to update you on our recently launched Player Invite Prompts feature which has now been adopted by over 7000 experiences! Personalizing experience invites has never been easier!

In January, we revamped Player Invite Prompts to enable more personalized invitation flows for your experiences. Please reference the original post to find the easy-to-follow tutorial and all the necessary technical docs.

Today, we are excited to share 2 updates to the feature:

1. Players will now be able to see the custom invite notifications you’ve implemented for your experiences. Please note that users will be able to report any abusive notifications, so please ensure that your notifications comply with our Community Standards.

2. We have also added auto-translation support for custom notifications, which enables automatic translation of your custom notifications to a subset of other languages. With over 50% of Roblox users speaking languages other than English, translations can increase your experiences’ engagement and retention, especially for new players. We highly recommend enabling auto-localization for your custom notifications - the easy-to-follow steps can be referenced on the Accessing Localization Settings page.

In case you’re looking for inspiration on how to implement personalized Player Invite Prompts, we’d like to showcase a creative example we saw from the community. We saw a neat implementation from Boxing Beta where players walk to the boxing ring and if no opponent is waiting, they are prompted to invite their friends. After implementing this, Boxing Beta saw a ~10x increase in players joining their friends through invite notifications!

What’s next?

We are actively working on building Notification Analytics for Developers, new notification channels, and other exciting features! Stay tuned!

We look forward to seeing the new and innovative experiences you create with Player Invite Prompts.

Thank you.

129 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

At least roblox is making invitations better but nobody checks the notifications tab

29 Likes

This is great stuff, but will we be able to edit the appearance of the invitation UI or implement a custom UI?

3 Likes

Is the chat/notification tabs still being checked?

1 Like

That may be true, but the invite is also a push notification, which is much more effective.

11 Likes

I can agree with you.
Computer users have problem with noticing the notifications (Most of invites from my friends I get are unnoticed). That small circular and noticable only after refreshing your page is too small and unnoticable.
I would accept a push notification for us.

4 Likes

We understand your concern - we are actively working on making notifications more visible via improving the notification tray on app, promoting enabling push notifications, and building new notification channels!

9 Likes

This is definitely something we are looking into! Please feel free to share which parts in particular would be most beneficial for you to customize :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel like this feature would be more useful if we could customize the invite prompt in code instead of having to make an individual invite prompt for every scenario (which isn’t feasible for my use case).

Example: I have a timed obby game. I want to show the time of the person who is inviting in the message.

Example message: @username scored [time] on course [number]. Join now and beat their score!

7 Likes

Great feedback - thank you! We’ll definitely keep this in mind as we prioritize future features.

8 Likes

Will you ever plan on releasing full push notification support like an App Store app, where you can send a push notification (with a reasonable limit) to any user using custom server side code and events? I believe this can dramatically increase player retention and increase both Roblox and developer revenue in the long run.

5 Likes

Whatever happened to desktop notifications via the browser?
As far as I know, that’s been broken for ages, and subsequently got removed from the settings.

I hope you’re not implying that the desktop app will become the only way to access roblox and its games on PC… I would like to keep using the browser and only the browser :anguished:

9 Likes

Awesome - we’ve been waiting on this to be pushed for a while :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do not really think this feature is used at all. I believe I’ve only used it twice…

2 Likes

We’re actively exploring how we can expend developer driven notifications as a whole - stay tuned!

2 Likes

We’re actively looking for feedback - anything you’d like to share with respect to what you’d like to be different?

1 Like

I absolutely love the direction that this is going- I’d love more direct interactions with players, but I want to know a few things:

1. Will we be able to customize this, alongside the message? For example, I’d love for players able to invite their friends with a custom message they wrote, alongside the game. From what I know, this is static, and does not change.
  2. UI customization. The majority of Roblox features like this are super cool, but they so easily break immersion because we cannot stylize these features. I understand Roblox has concerns about abuse of these features, but it would be very nice.
  3. Will these notifications show on desktop? I prefer making desktop-oriented games, albeit the significantly lower population of desktop users on Roblox.
4 Likes

I think a way we could implement this is like this:

local InviteOptions = Instance.new("ExperienceInviteOptions")

InviteOptions:SetInviteMessage("{displayName} invited you to join his {matchType} match in {experienceName}", {matchType = "Boxing"})

-- InviteOptions:SetInviteMessage(481956723, {matchType = "Boxing"})

where the first parameter of the function is the notification ID, and then a dictionary after that for each parameter in the notification. Similar to how string.format works.

3 Likes

Hey there! I just feel like the invite feature is somehow unused by players, maybe due to the fact that the Roblox messaging is not used frecuently or because people prefer to comunicate and invite their friends to games. There are also some bugs regarding to the chat.
For instance, this notification is apparently telling me that there is a new message or something relevant. Well, it has been there for more than 10 months and there is no new message nor anything.
Apart from this, there is the chat moderation filter, which I feel that makes users to don’t use it. It’s pretty annoying to be unable to talk with friends and getting all the mesages moderated.

I believe it should be a little bit more advertised, and that the messaging should be improved to engage players to use it as well. I am not sure if this is an already existing feature, but it would be nice to see desktop push notifications too.
Thanks for listening!

4 Likes