Player randomly being disconnected from server but still replicating to other clients

Heyo, this problem has been happening to me personally on quite a few games:
Grand Piece Online
Deepwoken
Project Slayers
Clips of the issue sent in from other players as well:
Grand Piece Online: Streamable Link
Streamable Link 2
Project Slayer: Medal Link

I can confirm that this issue has existed for a long time, just hasn’t been as prevalent, the latest update to Roblox seems to have worsened the issue. I’ll see if I can get some client logs and server IPs for when it happens from players on the games I develop for, but no promises. Also as for the Player instance, it exists on both the server and the client but I’m not quite sure for the Replicators. I’ve also noticed that rejoining the same server the issue has happened to you in, will most likely have the issue happen again. (I had rejoined the same server 3 times and the issue would occur within 5-10 minutes of game play.)

The easiest way to tell if the issue is occurring is to just check if your ping is frozen but things are still moving and replicating.

EDIT: Messaged multiple client logs privately through DevForum PMs.

8 Likes

Also experiencing this in my game. Strangely enough, it only became an issue after I restarted all the servers for an update today, and there’s nothing in the update that would cause this. Symptoms are exactly as described above.

Ive actually gotten this twice not even in my own games, literally just playing PF and Arsenal, it’s almost as if youre some sort of ‘ghost’. My brother got it as well, we’re on the same network so Im not sure if that impacts my validity but Ive been getting it OFTEN. Like every 10 mins or so. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah I have been having this issue in Jailbreak, my ping gets stuck, my character is unable to interact with anything in the game but I’m still able to see everyone else playing the game, and it seems like my character gets stuck at the place the glitch starts happening as someone was punching me at a place I wasn’t at anymore. Then I was unable to respawn, so far the only thing I can do is rejoin and hope it doesn’t happen again.

This happens to me extremely often in Grand Piece Online (GPO). There are times where I’m fighting against an enemy (usually an NPC) and I’ll get stuck in place, unable to move for a certain amount of time. I then start to lose health and I either lose most of it or I end up getting gripped (killed).

And in PvP, this could be detrimental as I could lose a portion of my bounty. I think there was a ping fix update for the game several days ago and that seemed to help slightly, but the issue is definitely still there.

There are times when my attacks (Bazooka in specific) don’t register, and my arms stay extended until my next move. However, I don’t know if this is related to a bug on ROBLOX’s or the game’s end.

I’m sure this has caused some players to either quit playing a game or not play it at all if they’ve heard of the issue from someone else, so it’s possible that developers are losing revenue due to this.

In fact, this is one of the issues that Grand Piece Online players talk about the most, and a simple YouTube search will bring up quite a few videos on the matter. This one, for example:

People shouldn’t stop playing a game because of something the developers can’t fix. If this is an issue on ROBLOX’s end, then it should be fixed immediately to help ensure that games can provide the best experience for their players.

About two months ago me and a few other developers were experiencing this & the server log would print “Security Timeout UserId”.

Me and my friends are still getting this issue (it appears at random) & it’s the exact same behaviour described from this thread too. Except “Security Timeout” doesn’t appear anymore.

Link to previous thread:

1 Like

I’ve noticed this issue sporadically only after shutting down servers yesterday in my game. I have 260+ servers and it only occurs at all in a random few. It is extremely frustrating to players as when they reconnect (to the same server) it just makes the issue worse. It makes for a really bad representation of the game to unlucky players and I have been trying to imagine anything I could’ve added to cause this to happen for hours and I’m struggling to think of a cause.

2 Likes

Something similar happens to me on every single game I play. It happens the most when I tab out of Roblox then return. Everyone is frozen but if I am talking to someone else that’s playing the game with me, they don’t even notice I have disconnected until I leave. On their end I can also still move around.

This has made Roblox unplayable for me and it’s extremely frustrating, I can’t play any longer games without the worry of being kicked anywhere from 5mins to 1 hour in.

It may just be my internet as I have just moved into a more remote location with higher ping, but I can play any other online game without disconnects.

I thought I was crazy when this happened to me last week.

It acted like a server shutdown but nobody had shut our servers down.

2 Likes

This mainly seems to occur when you are afk in a game.

This is seriously a massive bug. Been having it for MONTHS. Everything from my end seems to be all good. I decided to also use mobile data which fixed the problem, so the problem could potentially be the router. Do you leave your router on all time?

So this is what have been causing the data loss in my game?! I continue to get reports of some people getting disconnected from the game and then they join back and have no data.

I had to implement data locking myself so this issue doesn’t happen and I will be releasing it this Friday.

That said, what’s the issue causing this random fake connection loss in my game? Looks like the lost connection message is showing to some players (mostly on mobile) while they are still connected to the server causing PlayerRemoving to not trigger. Then they click the Reconnect button which teleports them to the game lobby, and GetAsync in the Lobby for sure will return the previous data they had since SetAsync didn’t finish its job in the last server.

For me, it looks like RakNet froze (since RakNet stats are frozen when this connection loss happens), it happens more frequently on large/laggy games

The earliest I could remember when I started getting this issue is since early 2022

Can someone tell me how to find the server IP?

I seem to be able to reproduce it quite consistently in a test environment of ours. If someone from Roblox wants to DM me, I can give them access to play with it.

Ugh this issue has been haunting me for the past year or so it’s a struggle , man you can barely a play a game for more than an hour.If someone has discovered a solution it would mean a lot to me if you would post it here. cheers

I am not experiencing the issue on my PC. Are there any reproduction steps I could follow?

I believe this might be the cause, since I haven’t gotten that error for years now.

Good PC specs, the only thing I think matters here is the internet connection. It is possible that the high-speed connection causes the problem (I don’t even have half a gigabit). If anyone experiencing the issue comes across this, try using a slower connection like a USB Wi-Fi dongle and see if it solves the issue.

It is possible that users experiencing the issue are in a certain location. Me, living in Washington, appear to be far from the closest Roblox servers. I’m not sure whether this lies in region or not, but it’s a possibility.

I was upgraded to the new app about 2.5 months ago, so I appear to be one of the first ones to try it publicly (through an A/B test I assume). However, I didn’t upgrade Roblox on my other PC which has higher specs, so I might be experiencing the issue on my desktop if I upgraded.

1 Like

I believe it may be related to certain games’ features, not to the client. It seems to affect some games much worse than others.

I say this because our Skate game seems extremely plagued by it.

If I hop around a few servers, I am almost guaranteed to find one affected by this bug. I enter the server, and get disconnected within a few minutes. The server doesn’t appear to be laggy, no errors that I can see.

I was send Bug Support some of the client logs from the affected experience. Hope to get to the bottom of it!

1 Like

If you can send the link to this game, I can check it out tomorrow. I can’t find any possible way to reproduce the bug on my end… yet.

This behavior is pretty odd, seemingly the game engine is overly courteous of the Player API, such as

Player.PlayerRemoving

My hunch comes from the fact that, no matter the circumstance, there HAS to be some form of yield for disconnects. (But it varies too much)

If you abruptly close the application while in-game, sometimes the player will exist for a moment, and sometimes the player will exist for many seconds. This can happen on any game that’s not using custom API, ones that deliberately hook a PlayerRemoving signal and start destroying instances. Yes, the Player instance can still exist in Players.

1 Like

That’s our game: SPLASH ⭐ Skate & Music - Roblox

If you visit the Skate Park to the left of the lobby. Then in Skate Park, open Apps (the pink button on the left) and choose Hop (server hop). If you visit enough servers, you will eventually find one in this state. At least, I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes