PlayerList Eats Up Performance

Was just doing some new performance profiling of my current project Gunfight Arena, and I noticed that our performance degrades linearly with the number of clients in the server. This is entirely expected, however I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad, and the reason for it seems to be the roblox PlayerList UI. This is especially frustrating because I’ve disabled this UI in the game so it’s not even visible.

In pre-render there are 2 0.005ms calls per player to render UIGradient effects. Then almost every heartbeat there is a 1.9ms call from Script_PlayerListManager.

My current game code (which I’m still seeking to make more efficient), runs in just 3.5ms. The rest of my frametime is taken up by Roblox operations, which would be understandable, except 25% of the total frame time is taken up by this PlayerList stuff when the PlayerList UI is entirely disabled AND no-one is viewing the playerlist in the escape menu.

11 Likes

I was able to repro in Spray Paint!

Sometimes they are a big spike even if the PlayerList is not showing on the screen:

And duplicated bug: PlayerListManager unnecessarily eats up CPU time - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox

3 Likes

Don’t even have my games PlayerList enabled, I have a custom one in, yet all this.

3 Likes

Hi @CDDevelopment

We are sorry, but we will have to close this thread as it’s a duplicate to the other one mentioned here:

The other bug report has a ticket filed in our internal database and an engineer assigned to it, I’m not sure what’s the priority of this bug, but I will make sure to let the engineer know some developers are still experiencing it!

Thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.