Player.VoiceChatted Speech to Text Parser

Similar to player.Chatted, it’d be awesome to have an equivalent player.VoiceChatted which parses a players voice chat into a text message.

I’m aware this is vastly more challenging and costly internally to implement, although would unlock a world of potential.

For example…

Voice Activated Spells

Voice Activated Secret Doors

Voice Activated Admin Commands

etc, and much more!

Ultimately this would enrich a players in-game experience and further push Roblox towards the metaverse.

101 Likes

“Alexa, Speed me 999”

Okay, wiping datastores

The idea of voice triggered events sounds really cool though. (And a nightmare to localize :wink: )

52 Likes

This could be used for more than just small commands. An example: Karaoke games can finally be a lot easier to play as you just have to say the word, not need to type it, to which the game can award points.

You can even set up different control schemes for those who have different accessibility needs. The possibilities are endless if this API were to be released!

13 Likes

What about an accessibility use case - subtitles for deaf or hard of hearing users. Enough said :slightly_smiling_face:

24 Likes

This would be amazing.

Personally I would LOVE subtitles.

People using voice changers as their normal voice is extremely annoying and hard to understand

4 Likes

Roblox is, as far as I’m aware, trying to be a ‘Metaverse’ of sorts - And it’s doing a great job.
To me, this feature is the ultimate addition to a game striving to be as dynamic as Roblox.

It sounds hard to implement on the surface, BUT, there are MANY programs that convert speech to text that exist already, and it’s likely Roblox would not have a terrible time finding an integratable solution.

For certain games, since Voice Chat is a verified feature that requires an ID check, being able to automatically convert spoken words into even a rough approximation would be an incredible bridge between rare voice chat users and text chat users. The ability to translate that into text the developer can access would of course, also be incredibly helpful, allowing players to make Siri or OK Google alternatives that work within Roblox, as well as other things.

(For instance, I wanted to make a Debate game, which would have transcriptions saved - Since most players don’t have Voice Chat, this game wouldn’t really do well with voice chat on, unless I could transcribe it back into bubble chat easily.)

Edit - Let us also make known Roblox’s recent teaming up with Speechly, in September 2023

Roblox, quite literally, has the ability to implement this very easily in their hands. Let’s hope they consider it.

3 Likes

I believe this could happen with the Audio APIs on the roadmap; maybe a new Instance that you can wire to a AudioDeviceInput like AudioTranscriber?

2 Likes

Its 2024 how is this still not a feature???