[PLEASE TEST + FEEDBACK]: Da Brickz, a retro style da hood game

[NOV 4TH: I HAVE RELEASED A TESTING VERSION (NOT NEARLY FINISHED), PLEASE TEST!!]

Hey everyone!

I’m currently working on Da Brickz. Da Brickz is a da hood game with a twist, it has a retro style uncommon in most games nowadays. I’ll be putting some pictures here, and I’ll also be putting out some polls for everyone. This is going to be a frequently updated topic, so I’ll organize it by posts.

Please give me some feedback, constructive criticism, and tips! This is a work in progress, and it is not pefect.

DEVLOG #1: Basic map, functions and ui
Clips

ROB SYSTEM

BUYING SYSTEM

DROP CASH SYSTEM

Screenshots

CORNER STORE

GUN STORE

BANK

NON-CITY AREA

DEVLOG #2: Expansions and minor aesthetic changes

DEVLOG #3

Better lighting, new character (i deleted the hunger and thirst things, pretty much useless)
Police station added, I might add a police team and bounties and stuff.

Uploading: 2022-10-18 18-30-53.mp4…

DEVLOG #4: Fall update!

What should the store sell?

• Old Roblox Weapons (Brickbattle)
  • Real Guns

0 voters

What should players use in game?

• Actual avatars
  • Old roblox avatars (customizable?)

0 voters

Should there be mild gore?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

17 Likes

Cool concept, great map, here’s suggestions:

• Add animations eventually, it makes everything very smooth.
  • Since this is Doomspire inspired, a destroyable map would be a great idea.
  • Guns, should be low-poly blocky styled. Blockier than the average Arsenal or Aimblox gun, but certainly not weapons straight from the catalog.
  • Avatars should be their own, but forced into a blocky version (No bundle), remove layered clothing and avatar animations, potentially force it into R6, or R15.

One important thing to say is, retro theme is amazing, but to improve gameplay, a lot of time we gotta do retro style + modern aspects, I’ve seen people who’ve made their game fully like a 2010 game, big mistake!

5 Likes

For gore/physical effects, I think other than fountains of fake blood coming out of the dead, since this is a blocky game, you should make it per body part.
For example, you’ve got a pistol. An arm is 4 hits, a leg is 4 hits, the torso is 7 hits and the head is 3 hits.
If you hit an arm 4 times, it’ll fling off the body and break into pieces. A player can’t use his tools with no arms. Will be slowed when losing legs.
By breaking the head or torso, the player dies instantly. If the torso is broken, all limbs will be flung.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve got some comments on your suggestions.

• Agreed, these will be included.

• Probably won’t be implemented. The game is partially doomspire inspired but that might hinder the gameplay

• Great idea! The guns in the clips are just for testing.

• This was what I was planning on doing, I like your suggestion on forcing the blocky rig though.

• The retro theme will have modern aspects. I’m perfecting the lighting and the game will be more modern than it looks now

(REPLY #2)

This is a great suggestion for gore. I’ll work on that in the future.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

3 Likes

Nice work, but the map honestly looks like Da Hood’s map with the stud surface. I wouldn’t see any benefits of playing this over popular games like The Streets or Da Hood because it has the same features and same map.

2 Likes

I’m happy that it helped!
For the breakable map, I don’t mean as fragile as doomspire, I personally think that certain blocks such as wooden doors, glass windows and trees are 10 gunshots, but for concrete walls or metallic objects it can be a lot higher, up to a hundred.

Oh man, if you’re planning to add vehicles as well, definitely implement the Car Crushers physics!

@2jammers Please don’t spread your pessimism everywhere on the forum, literally denying a project on its first devlog? Obviously it will be different in many ways, not a copy of da hood.

2 Likes

I tried to stay true to the original using a interesting look. The actual game is going to have VERY different gameplay and mechanics, and a entirely different map layout.

3 Likes

Update on the game! I’ve done some minor aesthetic changes to the roads, and added a large expansion to the map including a gym which is currently only for aesthetic purposes (this will change in the future ;).

3 Likes

Nice addition :smiley:. Would add some trees, and maybe you could keep the gym for something. I was thinking you could have an amount of stamina you have, and the more you work out, the higher the limit gets.

1 Like

Thats a great idea! Trees are going to be added, I was just laying out the buildings beforehand.

1 Like

I agree with other opinions on this post, but what’s the buying point of this game?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to succeed with when the development of the game is done, but why should we play this over The Hood?

Games that are replicating the base of The Hood like Thy Hood’s popularity have died down, and a lot of other ones that you may never have seen have not lasted very long in engagement.

This does seem like a slightly original idea, but then again, I’m not sure if your just going to copy the base gameplay of The Hood and then put studs around the map.

Also, these are more personal dislikes but, it would be cool if there weren’t just borders around the map.

For the most part, the game looks pretty nice and vibrant though :+1: :+1:

GL!

1 Like

I have also asked this question, but I have determined that da hood doesn’t get many updates and the community mostly dislikes it. It’s possible this game could be liked more due to the fact that it’s not all about gangs and it uses classic tools and textures.

This is a great point! I will admit that the building style is very similiar to da hood and also that the gameplay (at the moment) is also similiar. This is just a few days of work laying out the game and basic features, and I have more coming that will be original.

Also, lets take “Thy Hood”, which is a similiar game to da hood with a medieval style. The game has the basic mechanics of da hood, but also a lot of extra features and a playerbase that enjoys the game a lot. The game has nearly 2 million visits, and has a pretty mediocre map and basic ui with some funny features. My group’s game is also a satire of da hood, and with more features being added it will hopefully be able to stand apart. I appreciate your comments and feedback and I have certainly taken them into consideration!

3 Likes

Nice job, though there’s an issue with this type of game with the theme you’re going for.

When you take “Da Hood”, which is a very low-quality game to begin with, and try to add a classic style, it’s like the original game but less buggy and less features. You’d need to make this stand out a lot in order for it to actually get a good user base, and additionally you would need to constantly add new content and features.

Also, I see a lot of studs. Pretty much everything is made of studs here, and more specifically even the sides of parts. It doesn’t look very realistic to old Roblox in my opinion. If you really want a classic theme like 2013, you should make the lighting shadows disabled as well (no object except for characters had shadows).

Here’s a suggestion. Vehicles. No game in this genre seems to have vehicles, so I think implementing a classic vehicle system would be a nice touch to a game like this.

Or maybe a skateboard? (Try this one)
skateboard.rbxm (24.8 KB)

I was planning on implementing some basic (and non-indruding) vehicles like bikes and skateboards. The game isn’t meant to be like a 2013 game, and I honestly regret making it a little too realistic, but it is using a mixture of new and old roblox. It’s pretty similiar to da hood but I’m already working on some new features. It’s going to be a lot less intense and more roleplay-oriented than da hood.

1 Like

New clips for everyone. Some updated stuff I’ll probably change. Not feeling great about the map :confused: , you all can give advice on it. (I was listening to one of penguinz0’s videos so thats in the background lmao)

3 Likes

Even though this is similar to one of the polls you gave us, you can add “old roblox guns”. It looks something like this:

[Credit to the undead coming game]

Btw I really love how the game is turning out!!

2 Likes

The undead coming has my absolute favorite building, and this game is very inspired by that style. Not a great modeller so that will be pretty difficult, but I’ll try.

2 Likes

There are a few open source/free models on the toolbox that house these kinds of weapons if you don’t want to make it yourself. [undead coming used old free models too, although some had added tris count and better shape to improve quality]

1 Like

I love this style and have been wanting to make a game in the style for a long time but 1) I can’t figure out how to mimic it correctly. 2) I have no idea what to make hehe.