Plugin:Activate() decimates FPS / freezes studio

When you activate a plugin, your FPS drops from 60 to anywhere from 30 or below. Here’s a video explaining what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYznwL7TVQ0

I took the video with only one plugin installed, and the plugin is bare-bones plugin:Activate(). Here’s the repro plugin: http://www.roblox.com/Slow-Repro-item?id=268345893

Install that, click the plugin button, and your FPS will drop. It gets worse too – the more plugins you have, the worse the FPS drop. When Silent137’s model editor loads up (it uses plugin:Activate()) initially alongside my ~30+ other plugins, studio freezes entirely for ~1 second, and when I try to use Stravant’s plugins, which also use plugin:Activate(), Studio freezes for ~1 second as well. This happens with the most recent release of studio but if I go back to 0.182.0.55759 (a rather old version) studio does not freeze up with plugin:Activate().

1 Like

Can confirm, my fps drops to 30.

My studio seems to freeze completely when it happens.

Same. This happens for me with the terrain tools also.

A very simple plugin of mine suffers from this issue, therefore I can confirm this is indeed a bug.

Yep. This is definitely an issue. We’ll take a look!

It’s been about a month now, and this bug is really making things hard, especially now that I’m working on another plugin again.

Just because it’s not game-breaking doesn’t mean it’s unimportant. Please fix.

This has been fixed for the most part. There is still minor stuttering when activating a plugin, but it doesn’t freeze studio for a significant amount of time.

@Silent137 This issue has resurfaced again. It is no longer fixed.

Would suggest modifying the thread title to omit ‘[fixed]’

I can’t edit it since it was posted so long ago

1 Like

Bump

@Silent137 This bug resurfaced a while after it was patched and is currently still an issue (v 0.256.0.83059). Were there any issues with the patch?

Bumping this serious bug.

The bug is still there. I also want to note that it’ll continue to re-lag my studio when just clicking a different button on the plugin. For example, in qCmdUtl. If you switch between Move and Resize a lot, or Select Edge or what ever it is you’re using, you will get a frame drop each and every time.

Currently finding Studio extremely unusable. Really frustrating.

Can we get an update anybody? Look at all the threads linked in the OP with people having the same issue.

2 Likes

That’s not good. Looks like the whole UI is getting updated… a lot. We’ll get on that one asap.

2 Likes

Thanks! If it helps, I’m pretty sure this is the same issue: Massive performance issues when changing selection in Studio

Woohoo! Keep us updated

Looks like this issue has been fixed, my studio no longer freezes when using plugins! Anyone able to confirm this?

I am!

4 Likes