Pressing `F2` key to rename instances does not work for descendants of `game.StarterGui`

Reproduction Steps
Currently, as of 4/20/22, if you press the F2 key to rename any instances that are a descendant of game.StarterGui, the key does nothing.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached repro place file :
    F2Rename_Repro.rbxl (38.2 KB)

2. Select the TextLabel instance parented under StarterGui.ScreenGui, from the datamodel explorer widget.

3. Press your F2 key. Observe that nothing happens.

4. Click on the TextLabel instance again from the datamodel explorer widget. Observe that a rename is prompted.

5. Press your ESC key. Press F2. Observe that the rename is prompted like normal.

Expected Behavior
It is expected that pressing the F2 key while an instance is selected would prompt a rename of said instance in the datamodel explorer widget.

Actual Behavior
Pressing the F2 key does not prompt an instance rename if it is a descendant of game.StarterGui.

Workaround
Right clicking the instance and clicking on “Rename” (extremely annoying).

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-04-20 00:04:00 (-04:00)

11 Likes

I was also able to reproduce this issue following the steps you provided.

3 Likes

This has bothered me for months.

It used to work, and some update made it stop working. The CRTL + F4 (close current place) shortcut also stopped working around the same time. (Not sure if this is just me or not)

I believe its just GUI elements that suffer from this though.

I’ve noticed this issue on three different devices, all Windows 10-11.

2 Likes

Hi @Noble_Draconian - thank you for reporting this! There have been multiple reports of hotkeys not working as expected under StarterGui. We have added this report to our existing tickets surrounding this issue, hopefully we can get this bumped up in priority and get this resolved relatively soon!

Thank you for your patience!

See:

4 Likes

Hi, this is still happening as of 5/17/22. Are there any updates regarding this bug?

2 Likes

Would like to bring some more attention to this; this still occurs and is really painful for my workflow when creating UI trees.

1 Like

We’ve marked this as done, so I’m going to assume the issue is no longer occurring. If you’re still having the problem, would you mind filing again? So sorry for the late response here.