Proactive Marketplace Archiving on Roblox

Before they even made the announcement on Temporary Process For Archiving Avatar Items, I had already sent an asset removal request through Roblox Support using the asset removal request option. I sent it on May 25th. The announcement stating that we could contact Roblox support for archiving was made on June 6th. You could say that when I submitted the ticket, not many people had noticed it yet, and even then, it took 47 DAYS to get a response. But they actually archived the content, and no, their response wasn’t the usual ‘we’ll remove it within 30 days’ reply. So, let me tell you this: considering that way more people are sending requests right now, we should assume the situation is worse, which means you might have to wait a few years for the archiving to happen. :skull:

3 Likes

Lol, people have already been waiting years to have assets archived.

Ability to Archive Clothing Assets - 2020
The problem just kept boiling up to a point where Roblox finally started archiving stuff. April 9, 2024 was the first sign of movement.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! A silly “adidas gymnastics” outfit I made when I joined the platform in 2016 was archived automatically. I appreciate this program, as I would’ve received a DMCA request otherwise that would be out of my control.

2 Likes

False

Source: 8 months of suffering with a total of 284 emails back and forth, to be repeatedly and openly lied to my face with the narrative changing with every reply in each ticket. And when I was finally given a mercy unban after almost a year, with zero apology or acknowledgement that a mistake was made, the assets were still not archived for another 3 months on top of that.

It took Roblox over a year to archive assets I had requested to be archived through the support form.

Not only did I receive a false ban over these assets while waiting but I was told that there was never an archival request to begin with/the archival request ticket didn’t exist, only for the assets to magically be archived a year later.

Please correct the information in this post, this is dangerous misinformation implying that users can safely and reliably get assets archived by contacting the support form. It’s even more dangerous considering it’s explicitly stated no moderation action will be received.

7 Likes

Did the update already roll out for you?

1 Like

Thank you Roblox! Taking care of our platform is much much important.

1 Like

Banned Roblox for many countries is not good for every dev like me. Roblox always made my day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m kinda confused about the purpose of this. From what I understand, it looks like Roblox will just start randomly archiving existing avatar items whenever they feel like it, if they feel the item violates copyright. (as opposed to just outright deleting the item)

But…

• How do we know if Roblox is even going to do anything? The marketplace is already flooded with hundreds of infringing items and Limited ripoffs, and tons more get published every single day. I feel doubtful that this new process will have any impact at all.

• Why do we have to wait X amount of time for Roblox to randomly discover our item and decide if it’s necessary to take action? Why can’t we just archive items ourselves? We, the uploaders, know exactly what we want archived. Roblox cannot read our minds. Not every single asset we want archived happens to violate copyright, e.g. it could just be some embarrassing thing you made as a kid.

Yes, I know that a self-serve marketplace archive feature is coming, but it feels a bit silly to roll this out just a few months before said feature is supposed to release.

And also, I know about the asset archive request form. But it can take several months for you to get a response from that; we really just need a simple “Archive” button in the Creator Dashboard so we can remove content immediately.

4 Likes

Well, it’s about time! Here’s my question; if an item gets archived, will the users who bought it get refunded, similar to if an item gets deleted?

2 Likes

No, because owners of an archived item can still wear it. Non-owners won’t be able to see it on the website and it can’t be sold ever again.

4 Likes

and why does this come out after alot of users have been terminated already because of that issue :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Im already terminated because of infringing content that was GIVEN to my account and 1 month of trying to lift the termination this exist? This wasent even a option to remove the content when I was banned and now you can remove it easily?

2 Likes

It seems that archiving assets with Roblox support might lead to some issues. I had submitted most of the assets, thinking I had uploaded them all myself. Turns out, some were uploaded by the group’s holder account, and the agent handling my ticket archived those as well. They probably didn’t check who created each asset for subsequent submissions; there were 97 assets on the list, by the way. If I had included a few assets completely unrelated to me, would they have archived those too? Just thinking about it is terrifying, and due to the workload, they don’t even actually check the assets.

1 Like

This is a huge and welcomed change! I do have a question though.

For accounts who had actions taken on them prior to this update, will they be reinstated? I personally don’t have this issue, however, other users did not get this chance and were deleted. A lot of users can vouch for the struggle that it was (is) to get things archived, and I’m sure there was a lot on Roblox’s side too, which is why we’re here now.

For real… I’m actually tired of seeing this stuff in-game.

Yes, it did roll out to me yesterday, I got the email notification.

1 Like

Awesome to see you guys clean up content from the younger version of ourselves without affecting the current version of ourselves who might not even remember that item he uploaded a few years ago.

1 Like

Great update, glad that something like this has been added - acknowledging that a lot of people uploaded IP infringing content without knowing 6+ years ago (normally classic shirts/pants) where I’m sure a lot of people don’t even know that they can submit a manual request for archiving them, so an automated system like this is great to hopefully reduce the number of DMCA strikes on old content.
Can’t wait for the self serve feature - will be very useful considering the long wait times the email/form method currently has.

2 Likes

Interesting, and you didn’t need to submit anything?

My account was permanently banned a few months ago because of clothing I uploaded when I was young. Is it possible to get it back now?