Procedural Terrain Generation (Improved and Contingent Progress!)

Hello again! :grin:

I’m posting an update to another topic I had around a month ago. This is a much more fleshed out representation of my procedural generation which brings back caves that can reach out to the surface too! I’ve also tweaked biome placement so mountains can appear in higher regions. Although I’ve been working on this for a while, this is nowhere near finished!

(I would appreciate some feedback or suggestions on what I could change or add like some new biomes!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

New Terrain

Newest Topic: Procedural Terrain Generation (Updated Terrain)

Older Topic: Procedural World Terrain Generation (Improved but still tentative!)

As always thank you for viewing my topic!

2 Likes

Generation with big caves:

Generation with caves but no vegetation:

2 Likes

First of all looks great! It seems pretty natural. Secondly I have been working with procedural terrain myself for a while now and was wondering what types of noise do you use. Is it using FBM? Also is the hight map dependent on the biome or vise versa?

1 Like

Does the terrain generation include rivers and other water sources too? I feel like that’s the only thing that needs to be added to complete that whole blocky feel.
The only other thing I have is that it might (in my opinion at least) make the trees look better if you make the leaves a bit darker or raise the lightest they can be.
Other than that, this is spectacular!

2 Likes

We’re getting closer to Roblox Minecraft.
Seriously though, you could bring so many ideas to life with this generator.
I like where you’re going with this, keep on going!

1 Like

I’m not sure what FBM is? But I am using a 3D noise formula.

As for the biomes, some of them are height dependent like the snowy mountains while others like the “cold jungle” are more common on the bottom terrain.

There aren’t any rivers at the moment but it is something that I want to add in eventually!

Not sure how the performance is, but if it needs improving you could only generate blocks that are touching air, so only blocks that are visible are loaded, and load them in when/if you destroy them, if you even add that.

1 Like