Progressive Rollout of Future Lighting on Android Devices [Client Beta]

I am so happy to hear about this update. Since the first time I have heard about it at rdc, I have been waiting and I hope that the waiting was worth it.

Can’t wait to test out the future technology on my S23 Ultra, hopefully I’ll be affected by this rollout very soon.

Talking about optimization, how much different is the Android Future technology to the Pc version? Are there any limitations?

Edit:
I just got the update and it is gorgeous, I have noticed that at low fps, the resolution of the shadows goes down, not sure if that’s right through.

Tested my volumetric lighting system on my phone and it runs about 20 times faster than on my mid range computer (tested on a Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra)

External Media

Video recording

12 Likes

Looks much better to me. Wouldn’t mind some info about Android spec requirements. Am concerned whether my android can run it

6 Likes

im very impressed roblox. this is amazing.

6 Likes

That this lighting reaches mobile devices like Android will be a pretty good thing, since, as we know, the graphics on mobile are not very good and could cause the game to run a little poorly. I see the fact that they are implementing future improvements on mobile devices as something innovative from my point of view for mobile devices. But won’t this option make games run a little poorly on mobile devices like Android?

Although it will be quite easy for developers to apply this option, as you can see above:
Explorer > Lighting > Technology > Future

I have an Android device, I will surely try this beta version. I will inform you as they implement it to get the most out of this lighting.

13 Likes

Very nice! Is there any update for occlusion culling?

12 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’d be happy to answer some of the questions you have about Future lighting on Android

Q: What specs does my Android phone need to be able to run Future lighting?

Future lighting is a high-end feature, so it will run best on more recent devices and flagship phones from major Android phone vendors released in the last few years. At this time only Android phones which support the Vulkan graphics API will have Future lighting enabled.

Q: Will I have any performance problems on Future-enabled experiences if my phone can’t run Future lighting well?

As with all of our lighting technologies, Future lighting was designed to dynamically scale with your device’s performance characteristics. If you’re running in Automatic graphics quality mode, Future lighting will increase or reduce its influence on shading to balance out performance and visual quality.

Q: Is anything different about Future lighting on Android compared to PC, Mac, iOS or consoles?

All the features of Future lighting you see on other platforms are available for you on Android. The team has worked incredibly hard to implement additional optimizations and fixes to make sure Future works well on a large range of devices.

21 Likes

I’m excited for this, though it also means optimization for android devices might be a little more difficult.

8 Likes

How about being able to turn off EnvMaps without being forced to turn off EnvironmentDiffuseScale and EnvironmentSpecularScale?

11 Likes

That’s great! Any plans on adding this update to Meta Quest devices too?

10 Likes

Hello good. The system has serious problems on my Redmi10c 2023 (3-5 ram, OpenGL version 2.9…). The problem is with the lighting generated by the environment (the sun…) and the humanoids. the Shadows have very few pixels. I love it by the way, I’ve been waiting for this for months.

Shadows of the sun

Instance shadows

Instance shadows for Humanoids

Thanks You.

9 Likes

This will be a right time to ask for a way to check which Technology is actually applied for current device. Right now we have only SavedQualityLevel available, while GraphicsQualityLevel is CoreScript security level.
This limitation caused me issues in certain situations.

18 Likes

Appears like I’ve already gotten the beta? Runs okay on my phone, averaging about 20 FPS I would say in some games and about 5 FPS in others.

My phone is a Mid-Range Android from about 2021, Snapdragon 778G w/ 8gb of RAM.

9 Likes

Roblox’s lighting is dynamic, given the nature of the platform. Many games other than Roblox bake their lighting in, as their worlds are usually static, making it challenging to compare the performance of “Future” lighting to that of other games.

Additionally, the GTX 1660 is relatively old at this point. It would be surprising if you were able to run most recent AAA games on full graphics with this graphics card.

9 Likes

What is your graphics level at for your tests? Automatic, max, something else?

8 Likes

FINALLY, I LOVE YOU GUYS OMG, now my roblox games wont look like garbage when testing on my s22 ultra

14 Likes

Maxed out, trying automatic makes it default back to Voxel so I can’t really measure performance with that. Lowering graphics doesn’t appear to help out much either until it reaches 1 bar if that provides any other information regarding how well this is working out on my phone lol.

Edit: Most likely has to do with how the processor in my phone only supports Vulkan 1.1, obviously performance must not be so great as a result of that I’d wager.

7 Likes

“a bit” is an understatement…

5 Likes

yeah it is pretty old, but it still lives up to its price and performance for budget builders like myself

4 Likes

About GPU, I’m on a gtx 1650 and I’m able to run alot of new gen AAA story games at over 100 fps on original settings. And then the same card struggles when running heavy roblox games sometimes xd

5 Likes

OMG
roblox has cooked 2 features
Android outlines
Android future lighting

Aand
634 : new studio ui

w roblox in 2024

7 Likes