Progressive Rollout of Future Lighting on Android Devices [Client Beta]

anyways, it means that my i3 - 2nd gen also have future, cuz Android uses opengl mostly???
edit : performance update planned? I’m getting 5 fps but it’s op

5 Likes

Does this apply to Quest 2 and 3 since they’re android?

6 Likes

This is a great update as it indicates that future lighting will be optimised for all android use making lighting be better for all, thanks engine team!

1 Like

Will at any point being able to modify the lighting engine from scripts?

1 Like

Future is not GI. If you want your lighting to be fixed, use a probe-based global illumination system like LampLight.

1 Like

android devices mostly use vulkan

4 Likes

Will there be plans for Future Lighting to be rolled out to iOS and iPadOS devices?

Also how do I know if a game I’m playing is using the Future lighting technology? Sometimes I can’t see a difference between Future lighting and ShadowMap lighting…

1 Like

Hi! This situation would not be related to Future on Android. If you have details of what changed and what is your expected behavior for shadows, would you kindly open a bug report for us, please?

2 Likes

The technology that was announced at RDC 23, called “New Voxel Light Grid” is actually an entirely new Lighting technology that serves as a better fallback for Future Lighting when a device cannot perform well with Future. In the next 2 months, we will be rolling out actual Future Lighting to run on Android devices.

When we’ll release New Voxel Light Grid, it will be available on all platforms from the get-go!

4 Likes

Future Lighting is already available on all iOS devices including iPads :slight_smile:

Right now players could only know if a game is using Future lighting by having a graphics quality level high enough for Future to be rendered and identifying if local lights (any lights other than the sun) have correct shadowing and specular reflections. This information is not displayed explicitly to players.

5 Likes

Finally Future lighting on Android devices!

I’ve noticed that Terrain doesn’t have PBR on Android devices yet, is that going to be added as well?

2 Likes

All of these lightings updates are great, but so far the one struggle I’ve always had with lighting is the performance issues because of the lack of baked lightmaps. It’s a principle that has been now used for decades and that is still unavailable in roblox.

Given, I am not an engine developer, I am not aware of the extent of how difficult it would be to add to the current studio engine, especially if the ability to swap in/out different prebaked light maps was added too.

However this request was asked many times and we have yet to hear any official statement from the Staff. This feels like it’s such an obvious feature that is missing in Roblox that there should be an official reason for it not to be there.

1 Like

On an unrelated note, will iOS and Andriod systems be receiving clear terrain water with refraction and reflections anytime soon? Same with PBR Terrain as itsDenDenn mentioned.

2 Likes

hm i had future lighting yesterday on Android now it’s not working
w h a t

3 Likes

They probably took it out just to fix some bugs

1 Like

I really hope this means that future lighting will become the default when you open up a baseplate in studio. The old lighting technology is so bad looking it pains me to see games still use it today so id rather not have new developers not know it exists

1 Like

True, hopefully we’ll get that in near future!
no pun intended.

Oh btw, I’ve been experiencing a weird anti-aliasing pixelated bug on my Samsung device for a couple of weeks now when I’m in a large world.

10 Likes

when this gets released, will this will be enabled for compatible devices but not that good of a performence
cause i want that realistic lighting but I’m 15 fps but it’s ok

1 Like

Tested this on my 2 year old Realme C25s with Helio G85 (a low end chip) and there’s not much difference in performance than without Future Lighting. Although some heavy games like Jailbreak lag so much, but overall it’s ok.