PS4 gamepad not working with Roblox on Mac

Today I tried to use my PS4 controller to work on Xbox support for my new title, however Roblox didn’t recongise the input. In the past it has recognised the input, and worked as expected. This initial test was in studio, but I tested in game too and it didn’t work there either.

I ran the following code to test if there was absolutely no input, and there was none

UserInputService.InputChanged:Connect(function(inputObject, gameProcessed)
	print(inputObject)
end)

None of the buttons or sticks caused that to print, but using my keyboard and mouse, the function printed as normal.

The controller works on other apps, such as rocket league. And if I had steam open, and I held down the centre PS4 button, the right thumbstick would output (that seems to be because if you hold down the PS4 button, steam makes the right thumbstick control your mouse). This works both in game and in studio

System Specs:

I can reproduce on an empty baseplate

9 Likes

As a xbox player I don’t think this is really a roblox part but a xbox part each controller is connect to whatever platform you use and a PS4 going into a xbox is not going to work unless you have a input.
As well as I don’t think you should use a PS4 controller with a xbox because, it laggs a lot and it makes your game slow and you will have to reset it. All so the title does not match what you are asking for.

Rocket league is a fire #SquishyMuffinzbestplayer that’s besides the point rocket league is a cross-platform

1 Like

Hi Dev,

This was in Studio, not Roblox. I haven’t tried connecting my PS4 controller to Xbox - not sure its possible.

As to Rocket League being cross platform, so is Roblox

They only cross-platform with xbox. I don’t think they’ll do PS4 anytime soon.

Roblox supports gamepads - i.e the ability to play on a PC with a console controller. They used to support PS4 controllers, and i haven’t heard of any changes to that

So roblox supports GamePads but currently only Xbox. If you wanted to use a PS4 remote you’d have to have some sort of Xbox controller emulator and map the PS4 input into the Xbox controls.

1 Like

@VineyardVine - The unfortunate part is that there isn’t any DS4 to Xbox controller mapper for macOS (that I know of at least). It’s a pretty common search on the internet and I still haven’t found a solution.

There’s this thread from the past that suggests that using a DS4 controller did function with Roblox at one point. At the time he posted it, @Usering was using a Mac(Book).

I’m not sure when or where Roblox dropped support for DS4 controllers but there are Reddit topics that suggest that there was in fact support for DS4 controllers.

This isn’t true. Roblox explicitly says here they support PS4:

It has worked for me in the past many times, both using USB as stated, and through bluetooth. Neither is working for me now, despite input being sent from the controller to the computerr

Have you tried in a game? Might help confirm if it’s a studio bug or engine bug

Yes - I wrote that in the original post

This is still an issue and is prohibiting my development

Sorry for necro-bump, but this issue is still going on.

I cannot use my PS4 Dualshock with Roblox in no way! Earlier, I could’ve played many games with it. Now I cannot even use it on Empty Baseplate!

As OP said, it is completely ignoring all input, even though it is getting registered by my Mac.

I feel like this issue is pretty serious, it is not allowing to use PS4 Controllers in any way! I have no idea, why this has not been fixed yet! It has been 4 months!

4 Likes

Roblox has already had a pretty lax approach to fixing bugs for Mac…

It seems like games detect the gamepad is present, because I get the pop up xbox selector when its plugged in, but input is never registered, not even input handled by Roblox (i.e pressing options)

This is making developing Xbox support for game a major challenge

3 Likes

Very right!

I feel like Roblox is taking Mac problems very weirdly. There are some bugs which have been going around for more than 1 or 2 years!

I’m worried that it will be almost impossible to developer on Mac pretty soon.

2 Likes

i have the same problem
and im not using a mac im using a windows 10

1 Like

I have switched to Windows because of the myriad of problems on Mac, but my Dual Shock 4 controller still does not work with Roblox. It works with Rocket League on the same computer, Roblox just does nothing with the input.

Could this either be fixed, or could we at least get someone to tell us DS4 is officially unsupported.

1 Like

Roblox only supports XInput controllers, so you need to use a piece if software to convert what the DS3/4 use to XInput

Windows by default detects DS Controllers as DirectInput controllers

Roblox accepts input from USB gamepads such as Xbox and Playstation controllers. A game can support up to eight local controllers per client.

1 Like

I recall a new update recently has officially given bluetooth support for Xbox controllers, and I believe PS4 controllers had support previously for some time. I don’t remember whether it was Catalina or Big Sur exactly.

For the past week, I’ve been using a DS4 controller for gamepad support in my own game, and it works just fine, although connecting the controller to the mac was a bit strange, as it didn’t work until the second time I tried.