PSA: The Roblox app beta for Windows is now underway!

Would probably be better to set up an application tbh, fhen only people who want to test it will…

That’s because the end of your userId is 00, people with them as: 00, 01 will get this menu only.

I really wanted this menu for such a long time;

I don’t see why Roblox needs to maintain create a home screen for the Windows win32 app, when they already have a UWP app and the website.

edit: made it more clear what I meant

1 Like

currently?

sort of. you have to enable it in your GPU settings by adding it into the “custom” settings menu (but not change anything) (it’s not very optimized though.)

Looks pretty cool! and awesome! i like the new re-design of the Roblox App.

• Only 1% of Windows users will be eligible enter the beta
  • It’s an opt-in beta
  • All users of that device will experience the beta once opted-in

Also, i’m a beta program member on a windows device,
does that mean i will get it too ( among all the other’s beta program’s members ) ?
Or will only some beta program members get this?

At this time, this Roblox app beta is not related to the Roblox Beta Program.

Alright. Thank you for answering my queries!

But why? That seems like such a weird decision to give it to a random 1% of users but not give an option to the ones who actually want to try it out. I don’t know very much about these kinds of things, but to me it seems like such a strange, illogical way of doing things. Is there a reason for this?

2 Likes

Probably because they don’t want to force developers to accommodate the new system in their games yet.

Question: Are we opting in the app? on the desktop website? Where are we opting in, if we have access?

I opted into the Roblox beta program. I don’t know if you need to be in it though. Either way, if you’re eligible then there will be a banner on your home page about the app.

Being in the Roblox beta program will have no effect on your eligibility for the Roblox app beta.

3 Likes

Is there a way to opt-out? Some people I know accidentally opted in and have no idea how to opt out.

2 Likes

Roblox still supports Windows 7, which is one reason to keep the Win32 client, and the UWP app has touch screen support which causes certain games to treat the user as a mobile user, which is another reason to keep the Win32 client. Example: Windows 10 App Desktop acting as Mobile

1 Like

The new beta test for the Roblox app seems nice, but I have a few questions:

1. Will there be one for Mac users as well?
  2. I know it would be very time-consuming to maintain both platforms, why not make it electron-based? (for the app itself, game client won’t native etc)
  3. Would you be making the app that I can edit games and launch studio directly?
  • Many people despise UWP and Windows Store applications and will go out of their way to avoid using them
  • It’s clunky and far heavier than the Win32 client
  • They still support Windows 7 and 8.1 and likely will for many more years (iirc I read a response somewhere, maybe over a year ago, that Roblox has an engineer who refuses to upgrade to 10)
  • The underlying Win32 codebase between NT 6.1 (Windows 7) and NT 6.4/10 (Windows 10) is basically the same - it has not received major functionality updates or improvements for the most part since Windows 8 released, which focused on Immersive Apps. Windows 10 would later replace these with UWP (Universal Windows Platform), something largely perceived to be a failure (Windows 10 Mobile was scrapped, tablet mode is being degraded and deprecated). As a result, whilst the codebase works on both Windows NT versions, it would be mad not to backwards support Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.
  • Side point - the UWP application currently features an outdated interface and was not updated for a long period of time, and may be deprecated or abandoned in the near future in favour of the new functionality in the main client.
2 Likes

Windows 8 and 8.1 were never able to run UWP, nor was it a thing when they both released (2012-2013). Windows 8.x had its own incarnation of Windows Store apps, the main caveat being that they had to be full-screen. At the time, Google actually made a clever faux pas Chrome OS clone for Windows 8 users, which you could activate under the side menu to use “full-screen mode” - sadly, this functionality no longer exists, but it was fun to play around with at the time.

Not entirely sure on this, but I’m pretty sure if Roblox can run as far back as Windows 7, it will be fine running on an older Windows 10 release build (1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, etc), simply because the underlying Win32 layer hasn’t really changed, if at all.

1 Like

For users like Windows 7 or Mac they should keep it up yet. But browsers does not support Windows Vista or less. Edit: Windows 7 is still supporting browser and Roblox and it working absolutely fine.

Will this be fully released one day? Because I really like these features they look wya way better than the current ones.

Please tell the design team to add some shadows behind icons and elements, as well as some rounded objects.

Oh yeah, blur would be pretty cool too in places. And animations please!

1 Like