PSA: The Roblox app beta for Windows is now underway!

This seems interesting? Still very confused about what the point of this is. If only 1% of us can use, why bother implementing it? That’s 1 in 100 developers that will use this. C’mon now.

It’s for beta testing. They don’t want to suddenly release it to everyone.

1 Like

I believe the idea with this is to move away from web technologies. The mobile app used to be entirely web. Now some of it is actually using the Roblox engine. The player is running an actual game to render the UI using Roact. With everything moving to using the engine for the player, code can be shared between platforms.

1 Like

electron-based eats a ton of ram

2 Likes

Yes, it’s in beta but it should be available to more people to test out.1 in 100 is not enough.

2 Likes

Because most people don’t use the Windows Store, and also there’s Windows 7 devices, they would just rework it though. But having only a UWP app is limited availability.

1 Like

You’re probably gonna get it in Mac too when it’s fully released, we are really unlucky too now, 1% is just nothing… I am suspecting having your account ever connected to a mobile phone could maybe remove you from having this chance… not sure. I don’t understand why you can’t opt-in via the dev forum instead of selecting only 1% which THEN can opt-in.

Does this mean I CANT GET COOKIE LOGGED ANYMORE?? Please? That would be literally the main purpose of using this.

3 Likes

Don’t know if I’m first to respond to you but UWP basically means Universal Windows Platform. UWP apps are compatible on Xbox, Windows and the Surface Hub.

I really do love the new UI, it’s much better then the UI I used when I first joined Roblox and used the Windows app! I can’t wait to see this go public!

2 Likes

Why can’t us game developers opt in immediately? You said that the new UI will roll out slowly, though wouldn’t it be more optimal if we were given more time to potentially accommodate our games to the new layout? If anything, I would recommend implementing a Studio beta feature for UWP emulation (I am uncertain as to how much work is needed to put that in).

3 Likes

I personally think that disallowing developers to explicitly opt-in at the moment is a good idea. It keeps the number of suggestions and bug reports at a minimum, so that staff can add and fix things in a more controlled manner. Allowing everyone to suddenly download this app may bring potential problems for Roblox Staff to handle.

Phri also said in the same post you quoted:

(From what it sounds like) Over time, they’ll let more and more people into this app once they get the statistics they need from the 1% of people in order to further expand the number of people who have access to this app.

3 Likes

I would guess that too, but i dont know for sure

1 Like

Wait so does the beta apply for peoppe who are in the beta program and on windows

1 Like

no, only 1% of users have it at the moment.

1 Like

While this is in the works, The Topbar of the window where it has the close, minimize, and maximize/restore down can get an update!
Here are some ideas:

And one for Studio!

3 Likes

You should make it so all people that are currently in the beta program see this, cause I want to have the beta app

1 Like

You should make it so all people that are currently in the beta program see this, cause I want to have the beta app…

1 Like

As much as I want this on my main (@R0bl0x10501050) I understand the reason why it’s limited to only 1%.

It’s inevitable that a large/massive bug will be found. Nothing is perfect. And when it is found, it’ll probably limit what devs and players can do within the app until it is fixed, which may be a while. It’s a good thing that not everyone has this beta, since this unknown bug may paralyze a whole section of the app, such as a bug where changing your avatar/settings don’t save, or 2FA suddenly isn’t needed for logging in, etc.

1 Like

I am used to pressing enter to do the confirm dialog things but with this I can still press esc and l to get the confirm leave but cant press enter to leave. This is annoying, I am also not a big fan of the new playerlist or topbar

1 Like