Public Animations

Going to bump this with the same reason… because this is happening, and I can’t launch these with public R15 animations.

15 Likes

Because of how the networking is done for character joints, animations will replicate and thus “bypass FE”.
This is really useful for developers but could be heavily abused by exploiters. If this restriction is removed, they would be able to upload malicious animations and then play them on any FE place.

I am not entirely sure if this still stands true, but I imagine this to be one of the reasons for keeping the animations restricted.

A solution for this could be as simple as restricting LoadAnimation to the server, whilst the client still has the ability to play, pause and stop.

10 Likes

You could also have an animation whitelist that’s manually defined by the developer or require the group/developer to own the animation for it to play in the game.

4 Likes

I was planning on writing that at first, but I dont see it as a very practical solution.
Although its still better than restricting all “alien” animations.

4 Likes

And now they removed it again.

This would be a very useful feature for my game. I support this.

3 Likes

Getting annoyed that I still have to tell people to re-upload the R15 animations for my open sourced weapons.

12 Likes

I have filed this request!

49 Likes

Has there been any traction on this? I’ve open-sourced Dungeon Life but the animations are a pain point.

PS (GitHub - JamieFristrom/dungeonlife: Dungeon Life)

10 Likes

Do we have any further updates on this? It’s still:

1. Impossible to utilise animations in cross-platform applications such as HD Admin

2. Makes sharing animations between groups way more frustrating and time consuming than necessary

25 Likes

RoughSphereBlox said he filed this request but so far I’ve seen no answer. Are there any updates on the status of the request? I’d really appreciate a responsem because I’m releasing free model weapons that require roblox animations, and to re-upload animations to the user’s profile and copying them is such a hassle when animations could simply be public.

4 Likes

Going to clear the solution on this thread, as this is not solved.

12 Likes

I’d like an exception to be made for the moderation system (W/playback of animations) for the following:

• Player A is granted access to a non-group game via team create for Player B (Where Player B has animations created). Player A cannot play animations in studio w/Player B’s place because Player B owns the animations (Even though technically, in my opinion, it should play because they’re located within Player B’s place).

I think a whitelist system where the animations play in studio where the owner of the place matches the owner of the animation (And editors can play it back) would be great. I had a client want to recruit me to fix their weapons for their game, and I couldn’t work on it because of this limitation.

4 Likes

I’d like this to be a thing. According to my team, working is a bit harder when all you see are T-Poses jumping around.

This also kills the workflow for my teammates, including me; they have to wait for me to publish all my packages and publish the game so they can see what’s going on animation-wise inside of the live game, which means I have to drop everything that I’m currently doing to help them do what they want to do. This essentially negates the use of Studio’s F5 in my games.

Doesn’t even need to be completely public, I’d definitely like @ArtemisTheDeer’s idea to be used. Begging you here, DevRel - can we get at least some kind of acknowledgement?

10 Likes

Bumping this.

charcharcharlimitcharcharcharlimitcharcharcharlimitcharcharcharlimit

:pray:

This is still one of my most needed features. Sharing things that use animations is currently much more difficult than it should be. Making free models or scripts that use animations is currently impractical: I don’t intend to ask every person that uses an asset I made to reupload the necessary animations and edit values in a script.

There isn’t even a reason to moderate animations - if a person was motivated enough, they could write their own animation system that plays back KeyframeSequences, completely bypassing moderation.

Sometimes I make animations on a different account and have to port them over every time to my current account. If you make a game under your account but want to publish it under a group, you have to remake the animations every time.

This is a much-needed feature that would greatly benefit the developer community.

4 Likes

Bumping this post as it has been nearly 6 years since anything had been said.

4 Likes

An administrator said animations would be able to be made public soon. That was…I think, uh…In 2022.

4 Likes

Bump, its been almost 6 years…

4 Likes