Public Sound Effects Upload Are Now Available for Creators

It does make sense as while agreeing to this you promise that the audio is yours and that you grant Roblox a non-exclusive royality free worldwide license to the audio that you distribute onto the Creator Store.

Without this Roblox doesn’t have any legal protection.

I can’t wait to share some SFX that I made myself with my objects! They allow you to make sounds for buttons I hope to be accepted even though I received a strike for a t-shirt that I uploaded 2 years ago which contained an Amazon logo…

This is excellent! Now we can again share simple sounds (such as elevator chimes), but there is still work to be done:

2 Likes

I see, I am able to distribute other assets to the store.

This specific asset that I want to distribute is a spoken voice-line. Do voices not pass the classifier?

2 Likes

You’re allowed to distribute any sound that you’ve made or own, which is under 10 seconds.

Once upon a time you had to spend Robux to upload audio. Just before the fee was removed, the price varied based on the audio length. You could choose whether or not to publish the asset to what was known as the Library (to allow other users to add it to their inventory), but unfortunately, creators could not prevent “private” audio from being used in random games that they did not create, even if the sound ID was leaked (except by archiving), which is the one good reason that the system was changed since.

Two years ago, and several months after a copyright settlement, Roblox decided to remove the upload fee and replace it with upload limits and verification incentives, and make an announcement giving everyone 13 days to replace all audio that was not:

• shorter than 6 seconds
  • owned by the game creator, or
  • owned by Roblox

They added a fancy plugin to make it easy to find audio that was expected to stop working. A blue checkmark indicated no change was needed, a red X meant the sound needed to be replaced, and a green checkmark indicated sounds that were already removed from the game. The plugin is still accessible today, but the real purpose of it only lasted from 3/9/2022 until 3/22/2022. The announcement only mentioned the benefits of “asset privacy” and their promise to roll it out on all asset types and did not mention copyright at all. Roblox did not admit until recently that copyright compliance was important with re-enabling public audio.

Hidden in the announcement’s FAQ was a note that the ability to set audio to public would be “temporarily” turned off, in addition to the majority of public audio becoming private, which was so controversial, concerning, and frustrating, that it was the most replied to announcement on the DevForum (over 4k replies).

Then they introduced the permission granting system, which I believe still applies to all audio except those owned by Roblox (edit: by Roblox, of course I also mean endorsed partners) as well as audio that was NOT made private in 2022.

TLDR: You used to be able to upload publicly, then they suddenly turned it off two years ago and now they’ve brought it back partially.

5 Likes

Finally they are back on ROBLOX!!! :smiley:

1 Like

It also applies to all of Roblox’s eligble music distributers such as Clippsly

2 Likes

You’re making some good points here.

Any asset related feature not just for audio need to be compliant with copyright laws. Which in easy terms means that all assets need something that makes then exist legally with in the platform environment.

Because assets published to Roblox were mostly unlicensed or bypassed.

Still developers could upload audio which worked in their games as there is really no need for audio which anyone can just play (as before illegally).

Summary

Audio in this form as currently released should stay permanently without extending the 10 second limit. Additionally this isn’t really public audio, but a imitation of it as shown below a comparison between new “public audio” and normal ones:
Current audio is what I would call free private audio which anyone can just get, but not public. What makes audio public is the public domain value set to true.

Currently if you’re looking for music I recommend looking at these labels/publishers catalogs:

2 Likes

Just great… More things locked behind ID verification. Guess I’m glad I don’t make Sound effects…

2 Likes

It’s obviously made for legal reasons to restrict the feature to people which provided identity verification.

I think you misunderstood. I’m saying that the sound IDs of audio owned by Roblox, endorsed distributers (edit: including Clippsly), and audio that was NOT made private in 2022 will work in any game with no permission granting required.

From what I’ve heard, non-endorsed sounds that are made public going forward will still require permission granting but everyone will be allowed to whitelist their games for public audio that is in their inventory.

No, audio from Catalog Partners are available publicly in the same way as audio before the private update. They don’t need to be added by game creator nor anyone and same goes for regular 6 second audio before March 2022, it works on the same terms.

1 Like

I am referring to non-endorsed audio that is published from today onward.

I referred to endorsed audio (that includes Clippsy and other audio catalog partners) as some of the assets that are immune from the permission granting system and will work throughout Roblox.

Alright then no, this audio isn’t public at any way as I refered to it here:

And that’s probably for the best.

Just make public audios for everyone. I still can’t upload it myself.

I have never seen a platform make users send in their ID just to upload public sounds anywhere else. The only thing I can see being reasonable to send in your ID to a large corporation is if you are professionally using the platform, OR need access to the rights manager (since dealing with legal issues, it makes sense to validate who you are). Other than that, I don’t see any reason for ID verification.

1 Like

Go to https://create.roblox.com/settings/eligibility/audio-distribution and after you get approved you can publish your <10 second audio into the Creator Store.

1 Like

Unfortunately it is gonna take some time to be considered and there are some users who do (and do not) want the audio store to be completely re-enabled.
There are inevitable concerns about copyright and privacy laws, upload abuse, and inappropriate conduct, and Roblox cannot take these issues lightly.
The most you can do for now is become ID verified and publish a sound that is less than 10 seconds and does not contain music or narration.

1 Like

Well music distributors do this which is mainly to tie legal identity into the music which is being sent to the DSP’s. You can find most of the major distributors who do that or just need your legal information, examples I can give is DistroKid or Mugo.

Same thing with audio, they’re legal assets which fall under the copyright laws.

2 Likes