Quality of Life improvements in Studio Scripting

Hi Creators,

We are excited to announce several new improvements for Scripting in Studio. These improvements shipped over the past two months, with more on the way!

Rename Document Symbols

Precise type-based refactoring, only selecting the proper symbols, not just matching text.

Ability to turn off Language Features for Scripts of Extreme Size

Speed up typing for projects with scripts of extreme size. This can be controlled by a couple of new settings under Script Editor.

Go To Declaration for Built-ins

Speed up scripting by instant documentation lookup.

Debugger Run To Cursor / Temporary Breakpoints

Breakpoints that will be only present until they are hit (they then remove themselves). These are accessible in the Context Menu.

We have also added the “Run to Cursor” to the context menu, so there is no need to add a breakpoint, hit “Run” then remove the breakpoint.

|455.5263x314.42400000000004

Debugger Selected Expression Evaluation

Immediate expression evaluation in tooltips, allowing for quick expression evaluation so you can leave the Watch Widget for only the most important expressions.

|442.34099999999995x211.26500000000001

New Exception Notification UI

Easier to understand Exceptions with convenient buttons. Before this feature, Exceptions were only displayed in the Output widget. Now, even if the Output widget is not displayed, it’s easy to see why the code came to a halt. The handy “Call Stack”, “Watch” and “Output” buttons open the corresponding widget.

|431.9653x375.6193

In addition to these features, we have been reducing typing latency and improving overall stability. As always, let us know of any issues you face or suggestions for new improvements. We look forward to sharing new quality-of-life updates soon!

Thank you.

274 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Will we be seeing the autocomplete prompt replaced with soemthing which looks more like that? I’ve been looking for it to be semitransparent with background blur and rounded corners for a while now, a new font at the very least, this doesn’t look good.

34 Likes

This is super arbitrary. At what length is this enabled?

These alone are pretty great feature additions. Appreciate it.

15 Likes

Super happy to see these features! The quick renaming of document symbols is something that we have needed for a long time.

Now what would be really cool is some organization features never seen before, like the ability to color code the background of the script editor for different sections.

15 Likes

It starts at 1,000,000 lines or 5,000 characters on a line. These are based on the data we got for script editor’s performance. You can adjust these values in settings: Large File Line Count Threshold and Large File Character Threshold.

17 Likes

I can definitely see myself using most of these. Nice changes!

13 Likes

Still having issues such as these.

7 Likes

Awesome as someone who is trying to work at learning coding this will be a big help, if this expands to other parts of code then :grinning: :+1:t2:.

6 Likes

Hi @2jammers,

Were you able to file a bug about this? Would you mind describing what is happening here?

7 Likes
7 Likes

7 Likes

Godbless documentation lookup and symbol renaming, these two points slow me down the most when iterating. Love the UX improvements happening here.

6 Likes

Been waiting on something like this for a while, THANK YOU!

7 Likes

are there any plans for making your own documentation (something like LuaDoc)? since more is coming on the way

7 Likes

The instant documentation feature is really good, and it’s going to help out so many people. Thank you so much!!

4 Likes

I have not been coding for that long since I started the 1st of this month, but I already ran into this struggle a few times. Glad to see that ROBLOX is actively hunting for ways to improve! Features enjoyed by beginners and experienced alike.

7 Likes

Yes! I needed this so many times because I had to change a whole variable then rename the old ones in my LONG script…

Cool update!

6 Likes

No one is aware of the suffering I’ve gone through when renaming and changing names.

My life will indeed be rendered so much simpler by this.

I honestly appreciate Roblox.

Before: :coffin: :skull: :pensive: :weary:
After: :drooling_face: :scream: :kissing_heart: :grinning:

8 Likes

I’d find this extremely ugly. A couple extra pixels of padding probably wouldn’t hurt though.

4 Likes