R6 avatars don't make footstep sound until you jump

Hello.

R6 avatars don’t make walking sounds until you jump or fall. R15 avatars work correctly.
To reproduce this, create a spawn point so you don’t spawn and fall, and join the game with an R6 avatar.

Here’s a vid:

This happens all the time, in game and in studio. This is a thing since this update was released:

Windows 7.

21 Likes

A fix if anyone / Roblox is interested:
Background:
The reason this is happening is because a Humanoid State change is required to get
sound playing, but on R6, the initial state is Enum.HumanoidStateType.Running, but
on R15, the initial state is Enum.HumanoidStateType.None, so on R6 you never get
an initial state transition to Running–You only get it later after a transition from eg.
Enum.HumanoidStateType.Freefall.

Fix:
In RbxCharacterSounds (you can put a custom version in StarterPlayerScripts), right after:

local activeState = stateRemap[humanoid:GetState()] or humanoid:GetState()

Add:

if activeState ~= Enum.HumanoidStateType.None and stateTransitions[activeState]  then
	stateTransitions[activeState]()
end
31 Likes

This is still a problem that triggers me a bit.

1 Like

yes you are right, I played a game yesterday and noticed this

1 Like

My solution to this was just to change the Humanoid state to Enum.HumanoidStateType.Freefall on loading in, instead of bothering with editing the RbxCharacterSounds script.

4 Likes

Here to say this still happens and it’s annoying me. The fact that i have to modify the player script makes me A Little Bit Mad

2 Likes

This issue is still happening, any news?

2 Likes

Hey all; this should be addressed now by an update to the character sounds script.

2 Likes